My new office journey

ADMWNDSR83

Saw something this evening that other people will likely be like, "Yeah, and?" but for me it was wild.  I gave elpy some freeze dried mysis today, and as he was cruising the top feasting, 3 out of my 5 ghost shrimp swam themselves up the the top and were feasting on it while doing the backstroke.  It was impressive to see what they could do! 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, it's been a while since my last update.  Today, I removed the strange hang over the water filter that came with the tank, and in went a Co-op sponge filter connected to a tetra air pump.  I am probably going to switch out the air pump at some point, as it is not adjustable and the airflow is pretty daunting!  Also, I have started several new projects in this tank over the past two weeks.  The ghost shrimp seemed to be doing well, so I was able to procure 10 assorted neocaridinas that went in last week, and seem to be doing well (At least, when I can find the tiny little suckers!)  Several of them like to stand on the top of the lava rock, doing a little dance, until the fish swims by and they scatter.  Today, I added several Malaysian Trumpet snails to the tank as well.  While some may look at this decision in confusion, my overall plan is to use this tank as a breeding ground for them, and then take them to my home tank so the Assassins get some food!  The plants look as if they are starting to take root well, with some possible growth coming out of the Swords and at least one new sprout in the Dwarf Sag. 

• Like 4

On my last Wooded Wednesday post, I noted little white dots that had appeared on the driftwood in my office tank.  Since then, I have noticed them on the sponge filter, substrate, lava rock, and in the corner of the tank.  I'm thinking they could be droppings or eggs from the nerite snails, but I'm not sure.  Does anyone have an idea of what these little pearls might be?  I just want to make sure they aren't something I should be worried about.  My betta and neos seem to not be affected by them, or care in the least about them.  

Side note:  I doubt they are eggs from the nerite, because I remember reading they don't reproduce in fresh water, but if that's wrong I'd love to know!

This is also posted on my "Endler Sexing" Thread, but I wanted to keep this journal updated as well.

Today begins the great experiment!!!  After buying two male endlers (one black bar and one cobra), I made the decision to do some genetics experimentation.  Today, I took advantage of a buy three get one sale at a LFS and got 4 assorted female guppies.  It looks like one is a halfblack, maybe one cobra, maybe a tequila sunrise, and one other yellow that I'm not entirely sure of.  Excited to see what the grand design turns out.

• Like 1

So,  I got to work today and two of the females had passed overnight.  I removed them from the tank, then looked around AND SAW THE FRY!!  There are 5, maybe 10 fry swimming around the bottom of the tank!  Apparently someone came from the pet store with additional baggage!

• Like 1