Is it possible that I’m seeing nitrates this early in the cycling process?

I have only started my tank last Wednesday, I think that I should note that I have fluval bio stratum, I dosed my tank with the proper amount of fastart f on Wednesday then on Thursday, Around that time I was seeing a little bit of ammonia, then yesterday, and today I noticed that nitrates are starting to show up, and now a little bit of nitrites are also showing up. I’m not new to cycling aquariums, but this is the only tank I have right now, it’s a 5 gallon tank with some dwarf Sag, Anubias, Java fern, water sprite and plan to put some water Wisteria

IMG_4139.jpeg

IMG_4141.jpeg

On 2/10/2024 at 12:50 PM, TheDesktopAquarium said:

I have only started my tank last Wednesday, I think that I should note that I have fluval bio stratum, I dosed my tank with the proper amount of fastart f on Wednesday then on Thursday, Around that time I was seeing a little bit of ammonia, then yesterday, and today I noticed that nitrates are starting to show up, and now a little bit of nitrites are also showing up. I’m not new to cycling aquariums, but this is the only tank I have right now, it’s a 5 gallon tank with some dwarf Sag, Anubias, Java fern, water sprite and plan to put some water Wisteria

IMG_4139.jpeg

IMG_4141.jpeg

Wow that's crazy definitely positive Nitrate.

Some bottled bacteria can have surprisingly active microflora that grow faster than the traditional bacteria but may not do a great job in the long run.  Usually bottled bacteria have a wide mix and the hardier bacteria will eventually get going.  In the mean time, you have to give the biofiltration to more fully develop and be patient.  Keep testing, etc.  Are you doing ammonia, blind feeding, or relying on the ammonia produced from your aquasoil type substrate?

• Like 1

You can’t trust a nitrate reading when nitrite is In an aquarium nitrate tests work by breaking down nitrate into nitrite and testing for the nitrite so if there’s already nitrite in the water you will get a false high reading

The amount depends on the test, some being as high as 100 to 1 so 1 ppm nitrite will look like 100 nitrate

• Thanks 1

Yup:

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 2.38.43 PM.png

I've seen nitrite develop in 4-5 days after using filter media from another tank.  However, just a day to show nitrite is pretty amazing.  That must have been some good bacteria... 🙂

Edited by Galabar

I cycled a ten gallon tank recently and I never detected any nitrite at all but I was detecting ammonia and nitrate every day. The weird thing is I used pre cycled media too. It still took 2-3 weeks to get zero ammonia detected and I never detected nirtites at all. It just went straight from ammonia to nitrate. I use the API drop test.

Nitrates doesn't mean your tank is fully cycled. Once you get zero ammonia and nitrite with some nitrate then you are fully cycled.

On 2/10/2024 at 2:40 PM, face said:

You can’t trust a nitrate reading when nitrite is In an aquarium nitrate tests work by breaking down nitrate into nitrite and testing for the nitrite so if there’s already nitrite in the water you will get a false high reading

The amount depends on the test, some being as high as 100 to 1 so 1 ppm nitrite will look like 100 nitrate

Is this only with test strips?

No all tests are the same nitrate doesn't react with much so they break it down into something else that’s more reactive nitrite any nitrate test that requires you to wait work this way your waiting for the nitrate to break Down into nitrite 

not all the nitrate is broken down though only a small amount this is why if you wait to long it will overdevelop 

On 2/11/2024 at 11:17 AM, face said:

No all tests are the same nitrate doesn't react with much so they break it down into something else that’s more reactive nitrite any nitrate test that requires you to wait work this way your waiting for the nitrate to break Down into nitrite 

not all the nitrate is broken down though only a small amount this is why if you wait to long it will overdevelop 

On 2/11/2024 at 11:17 AM, face said:

Yeah, it’s kind of strange, because yesterday and today I have zero nitrites and nitrates, also no ammonia, i’m trying to get some drop tests