Ich, aquarium salt & plecos

GraceH

I’m new to keeping fish and have recently set up a 250L aquarium with cichlids, bristle nose plecos and a catfish. 

I’ve lost 2 fish over the last 2 days and have now noticed they’re covered in white spot, i’ve put treatment in the water and aquarium salt.

But I’ve now seen people saying catfish and plecos are sensitive to aquarium salt & i’m worried it’s going to burn them or kill them??

Can anyone give a bit of insight on this?

Thank you 🙂

Edited by GraceH

On 2/9/2024 at 9:55 AM, GraceH said:

But I’ve now seen people saying catfish and plecos are sensitive to aquarium salt & i’m worried it’s going to burn them or kill them

Most pleco are armored catfish and to my experience not sensitive to salinity.  My bristlenose also tolerate ich-x quite fine.  

What type of catfish you have will determine their sensitivity.  If you share the species @Colu can most likely share on how sensitive they are to what meds. 

• Like 1

Welcome. My first question to you. Since this sounds like your first case of ich. How long did you have the aquarium before you added your fish. Have you seen anything about cycling a tank. If not, no worries. I didn’t either when I started. Ich is not immediately fatal, you have some time. It’s mostly a stress disease. Do you have a water testing kit or strips? 

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

First makes sure it is ich, not epistylis.

Treatment of ich with salt requires lots of salt actually. 

The usual treatment range is at least 2-3ppt, but I have read there have been cases the ich still remained alive 5ppt or so. I would not use salt as a treatment method for cories/plecos myself but just a lil bit of salt can still be a support.

I would just add a lil bit of salt to support the treatment procedure but treat with Ich-X(or basically anything with malachite green-formaldehyde, we don’t have Ich-x here but I easily found a local brand with the same ingredients)

I have a very experienced friend in the hobby says Seachem cupramine also works great for ich, and he has never heard of a case it failed to this day, but I have never tried it myself. I am hesitant to try copper based medicines due to keeping shrimp/snails, worrying about them potentislly remaining jn the tank, and their effectiveness is related to alkalinity(if I am not mistaken)

• Like 1

Correct. That’s why they have some time. You don’t usually see ich unless the fish is under stress. As it is usually present in all aquarium water 

For first time keeper, it’s easier to think of it like a disease.

FWIW: I treated my female Bristlenose with a cyst on her face with salt and she handled it just fine. 

The only time I’ve personally dealt with ich was on my Hatchetfish. Treated with 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 2 gallons of water (so 5 tablespoons in a 10 gallon aquarium) and it took care of it. I realize Hatchetfish are not Bristlenose, but considering I have treated Bristlenose with salt before (although at a lower dose) that leads me to believe they could handle a higher dose to treat ich. 

I can’t seem to reply to individual comments? 

But I believe my catfish is a pictus catfish. 

I cycled my tank for a week before adding any fish, let those settle for a week & then added more fish. 

I’m worried because they definitely seem bothered by the ich, they’re swimming against the gravel quite a lot and as i said, I’ve had 2 fish die:(

Yes I do have test strips, they’re saying my nitrate levels are high but I did a 1/3 water change last night so wondering whether the ich treatment is affecting the nitrate levels now?

I’ve added the best picture i could get of the white spots on my cichlid

IMG_1390.jpeg

On 2/9/2024 at 3:44 PM, Tony s said:

Highlight what you want to respond to then a quote tab pops up 

yeah 2 weeks means you’re not nearly cycled yet. How are your ammonia and nitrite levels. 

my tank has been running for about around 4-5 weeks now

Ammonia is fine, nitrate is saying high

nitrates are good anyway from 50 on down. Especially for planted tanks. They need the higher nitrogen. If you’re higher than that and concerned, doing higher levels of water changes is ok. Or even multiple changes per day. As long as you’re dechlorinating every time. Nitrates are not technically poisonous. I’ve heard it described as being in a smoke filled room. It’s kind of irritating, but the higher you get, it becomes intolerable. Cichlid guys that can’t have plants, usually have very high levels with no ill effects 

On 2/9/2024 at 4:00 PM, Tony s said:

nitrates are good anyway from 50 on down. Especially for planted tanks. They need the higher nitrogen. If you’re higher than that and concerned, doing higher levels of water changes is ok. Or even multiple changes per day. As long as you’re dechlorinating every time. Nitrates are not technically poisonous. I’ve heard it described as being in a smoke filled room. It’s kind of irritating, but the higher you get, it becomes intolerable. Cichlid guys that can’t have plants, usually have very high levels with no ill effects 

I’m going to leave any further water changes for now since I’ve put white spot treatment in the water and it’ll be pointless.

I’ve just added a sponge filter into the tank to help get rid of excess food & fish poo so hopefully this will help bring the nitrate levels down.

I’m going to let the treatment run its course and hopefully the fish will be okay now! 

• Like 1

Thank you very much for everyone’s help 😊

On 2/9/2024 at 6:15 PM, Tony s said:

pictus and salt? not sure on, never had pictus.

so far he seems okay, very lively and swimming around so i can only hope he stays that way 

On 2/9/2024 at 6:55 AM, GraceH said:

But I’ve now seen people saying catfish and plecos are sensitive to aquarium salt & i’m worried it’s going to burn them or kill them??

I've had mine on up to 1 tbsp of salt per 2 gallons.  Briefly on 1 tbsp of salt per 1 gallon

• Like 2

I did 1 tbs/gallon on my discus tank which had two bristlenose plecos in it.  The super red was fine, but the regular female started getting what looked like fin damage on the ends of her fins after about a week, so I pulled them.  I did the discus for about 12 days.  

I've always heard that corys are very salt sensitive as in "any salt might kill them".  But maybe that's not true?  I've always been too scared to try.

On 2/9/2024 at 7:46 PM, jwcarlson said:

I did 1 tbs/gallon on my discus tank which had two bristlenose plecos in it.  The super red was fine, but the regular female started getting what looked like fin damage on the ends of her fins after about a week, so I pulled them.  I did the discus for about 12 days.  

I've always heard that corys are very salt sensitive as in "any salt might kill them".  But maybe that's not true?  I've always been too scared to try.

I’ll keep my eye out for any damage on their fins.

Since the salt is for helping get rid of ich, i’ll be doing a few water changes over the next week or so, so the salt will be reduced massively and hopefully they won’t get fin damage then.

On 2/9/2024 at 2:08 PM, GraceH said:

I’ll keep my eye out for any damage on their fins.

Since the salt is for helping get rid of ich, i’ll be doing a few water changes over the next week or so, so the salt will be reduced massively and hopefully they won’t get fin damage then.

The fish looks fine now and it's been maybe 3-4 weeks since I took them out.  I'm not sure how long you need to have salt in for ich, but if you're trying to keep a certain level of salt make sure that you add back what you take out with water changes.

On 2/9/2024 at 2:55 PM, GraceH said:

I’m new to keeping fish and have recently set up a 250L aquarium with cichlids, bristle nose plecos and a catfish. 

I’ve lost 2 fish over the last 2 days and have now noticed they’re covered in white spot, i’ve put treatment in the water and aquarium salt.

Can anyone give a bit of insight on this?

Thank you 🙂

I wouldn't go above one table spoon for 5 gallons with pictus catfish  in the picture the spots looked raised  if they are  raised you could be dealing with epistylis that feeds off of gram negative bacteria on the slime coat of your fish and spreads more quickly at higher temperatures the most effective treatment is a combination of malachite green active ingredient in ick X and maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days  if there not raised keep treating with ick X and small amount of aquarium salt 

1000000026.png

Edited by Colu
  • Love 1