What are the best light timers out there?

What are the best ones out there? Specifically, which are compatible for topfinn aquarium kits? I was trying to find some and got one but didn’t fit. I saw that most fit lights that are sold separately that people get for the tank. Advice?  Idk if we are able to say the brand but could you gimme a link possibly?

Edited by Bigdog99

Usually I run the KASA Wi-FI Light Timer. It's pretty simple, just plug the light into the timer, making sure its on a separate power source than the filter, plug the timer into an outlet and follow the directions on the KASA app. 

From there you can set the schedule to what you want for your light preferences. 

Hope this helps! 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 12:48 PM, maspohno said:

Usually I run the KASA Wi-FI Light Timer. It's pretty simple, just plug the light into the timer, making sure its on a separate power source than the filter, plug the timer into an outlet and follow the directions on the KASA app. 

From there you can set the schedule to what you want for your light preferences. 

Hope this helps! 

It did thanks so much! I will check it out for sure!

• Like 1

Kasa WiFi timers.  I use a few of the smart strips that have individually controlled outlets.  And several of the cubes that are just one outlet.  They're really easy to use and even switching phones and stuff is pretty seemless.  It actually has a functional app for your phone and in my experience that hasn't been an issue at all.  It just works.  Which is refreshing considering apps these days.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 12:49 PM, jwcarlson said:

Kasa WiFi timers.  I use a few of the smart strips that have individually controlled outlets.  And several of the cubes that are just one outlet.  They're really easy to use and even switching phones and stuff is pretty seemless.  It actually has a functional app for your phone and in my experience that hasn't been an issue at all.  It just works.  Which is refreshing considering apps these days.

Thanks. I will prob get this now!

Oh. It is from AC! Wow I had NO CLUE they sold one! Buying it right now!!!!

• Administrators

I'm a big fan of the Kasa wifi timers. All my stores, warehouse, home fish room run off of them. They keep time when power goes out, can control them from all around the world... You don't know it yet, but same day you'll be on vacation and the fish babysitter will show up at a time when the lights are out to feed cause they had a busy day etc.

I just use the old rotary timers from a big box store. Nothing fancy. And dirt cheap. Especially with kit lights, that’s really all you need 

huh, I just looked at the kasa, doesn’t look half bad. I may need an upgrade 

• Like 2

On 1/31/2024 at 3:14 PM, Cory said:

I'm a big fan of the Kasa wifi timers. All my stores, warehouse, home fish room run off of them. They keep time when power goes out, can control them from all around the world... You don't know it yet, but same day you'll be on vacation and the fish babysitter will show up at a time when the lights are out to feed cause they had a busy day etc.

Yea I have looked into this! Btw, y’all have one of the BEST websites for fish tank of all time!!! Thanks so much for the GREAT customer service and everything else! Got some live plants for y’all and ordering more soon! @Cory!

On 1/31/2024 at 3:14 PM, Tony s said:

I just use the old rotary timers from a big box store. Nothing fancy. And dirt cheap. Especially with kit lights, that’s really all you need 

Yeah me too….

On 1/31/2024 at 3:14 PM, Cory said:

Oh also, I plug power strips into the wifi timers so I can control many lights. Not just 1.

Yes that is awesome idea 

On 1/31/2024 at 3:17 PM, Tony s said:

That is a fantastic idea 

Agreed.

On 1/31/2024 at 3:55 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Kasa is the way to go, there’s really no debate. The level of convenience to cost makes it the near perfect product. Getting anything else prolongs the inevitable of the Kasa purchase. IMO, don’t overthink this one. 

Thanks 

On 1/31/2024 at 3:11 PM, Tony s said:

Yes I might go the easy route with that.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 2:14 PM, Tony s said:

The kasa ones are so much easier and you can schedule basically everything for it.  On/off, you can set up basically feeding timer type function.  For example, I have my tanks turn their filters and heaters on every night at 9:30 because *sometimes* I forget to turn them back on after the nightly water change on my discus tank.  So it just automatically does it.  It's surprising how many things you use them for once you have a few of them.  Highly recommend.

• Like 2