Rimmed Aquarium Modification

Does anyone know if tops like the one pictured below are available commercially? Ideally id like to get one for my 36g bowfront, but I fear this would be a custom modification.

Edit: posted to wrong sub form, can this be moved to general discussion.

th-3562306692.jpg

Edited by JoeQ

Thats just similar to what I  would want, idealy it would be just a 2" guard around the perimeter of the aquarium. I'd even go for (if i can get it done cheap) something that you have, which looks to be a sheet of plexi glass cut to fit.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 3:59 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yeah, industry term is eurobracing or just glass bracing.  Some people use that when their plastic crossbraces fail.

Ive seen people replace the cross bar just because!!! I'm less than mechanically inclined, but if I were good with my hands I'd probably do it too! What drives me nuts is there aren't many commercially available mass produced aquarium tops except for versa tops which are hideous IMO

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2024 at 10:51 AM, Supermassive said:

Wow, only $44 for 2ft by 8ft. I'm jealous. That would cost me $200 to go pickup from Homedepot right now. 

Are you in Canada? 

On 2/3/2024 at 10:15 AM, Supermassive said:

Yeah, I looked into getting something like that for DIY lids but its just too expensive. Doesn't make sense to spend that with the tanks I have.

I will probably go with plexi glass which is still extremely expensive but for the price compared to a new versa top it's comparable. 

On 2/3/2024 at 12:55 PM, JoeQ said:

I will probably go with plexi glass which is still extremely expensive but for the price compared to a new versa top it's comparable.

What are the advantages of plexi glass compared to the double walled stuff? Just more durable?

This double wall stuff has openings on the cut ends and will eventually get water inside which will grow algae / crud that will be hard to clean. Over time it will get nasty and will need to be replaced. It is also not as transparent as glass, imo thats another downside 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 1:10 PM, JoeQ said:

This double wall stuff has openings on the cut ends and will eventually get water inside which will grow algae / crud that will be hard to clean. Over time it will get nasty and will need to be replaced. It is also not as transparent as glass, imo thats another downside

Ah okay, never thought of that. Yeah that could get annoying. 

Oh really? I thought I heard it was more transparent than glass. Maybe I'm misremembering.

On 2/3/2024 at 1:10 PM, JoeQ said:

If that's your concern with the double wall stuff, you could always seal the ends up with silicone? 

On 2/4/2024 at 10:35 AM, Creedmoor Aquatics said:

If that's your concern with the double wall stuff, you could always seal the ends up with silicone? 

Also it's not as transparent as glass, I see plexi glass as the better option. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2024 at 10:35 AM, Creedmoor Aquatics said:

The manufacturer says to seal with foil tape,  think silicone will look better