How many shrimp for a 5 gallon?

Depends on what you’re interested in. If whole cycle of life is what you’re after, birth to death, buy a few, pick one color (colors tend to go to brown if mixed). Let them grow and develop. You’ll have a bunch. You could even get enough to trade back to a lfs. Get some fine leaved plants to protect the fry. A snail to clean molts and carcasses. You could add in a few micro fish as well 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 8:35 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Shrimp do that just fine by themselves.

Another plus for the all one gender setup is that you can mix all the colors you want, no issues.

Absolutely correct. Must have been a brain freeze 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 8:35 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Shrimp do that just fine by themselves.

Another plus for the all one gender setup is that you can mix all the colors you want, no issues.

On 1/21/2024 at 8:00 PM, Bigdog99 said:

Thanks @nabokovfan87and @Tony s !! I was thinking of maybe cherry or Amano shrimp!

You could pick your shrimp color to contrast with your tank. Cherry is good. As is blue dream shrimp, orange pumpkin looks very cool. Even greens or yellows. Just look up Neocaridina shrimp. Lots of different ones. I like amanos(good algae eaters) but they’re not very colorful 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 8:58 PM, Tony s said:

You could pick your shrimp color to contrast with your tank. Cherry is good. As is blue dream shrimp, orange pumpkin looks very cool. Even greens or yellows. Just look up Neocaridina shrimp. Lots of different ones. I like amanos(good algae eaters) but they’re not very colorful 

Thanks!

On 1/21/2024 at 8:53 PM, Bigdog99 said:

What kind of micro fish?

They’d need to be really tiny for 5 gallons.  Chili, dwarf, strawberry Rasbora. Celestial pear danios. Neon blue Rasbora . Green rasbota(kubotai)

cpd’s are borderline too big. Looking for something 1/2 inch long. And only a few

and the more you put in, water stability becomes an issue. 5 gallons can fluctuate a lot. Much more than bigger tanks 

it may be easier to just stay with the shrimp 

• Like 1

I always recommend just replacing the 5 gallon with a 10. It's not much of a bigger footprint, you can use the same gear and the water will be a little easier to maintain. You can get them for $10 at any half off sale

That will give a lot more room too. 

• Thanks 1

After seeing the difference between a group of 8 and a group of 12 CPDs for myself I don't think I'd suggest them for 5. Chilis would probably be okay, they are so tiny, and the really teeny rasbora... neon blue? But yeah, I'd probably say 10g for a decent group of CPDs.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 9:27 PM, Dria said:

After seeing the difference between a group of 8 and a group of 12 CPDs for myself I don't think I'd suggest them for 5. Chilis would probably be okay, they are so tiny, and the really teeny rasbora... neon blue? But yeah, I'd probably say 10g for a decent group of CPDs.

Where can u get cheap 10 gallon aquariums???

Petco for plain tank, PetSmart for kits. your filter and heater should be good enough from 5 to 10 you could reuse your substrate and add more

keep everything wet and your bacteria should survive. so, with a plain tank you'd need a lid and light.

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 8:53 AM, Tony s said:

Petco for plain tank, PetSmart for kits. your filter and heater should be good enough from 5 to 10 you could reuse your substrate and add more

keep everything wet and your bacteria should survive. so, with a plain tank you'd need a lid and light.

Thanks.