Advice on what to get

beastie

I am a bit restless and want to buy some new fish, so I will appreciate any advice coming my way.

The tank 120x50x60 cm. Temp 25°C, pH 7, soft.

The fish top to bottom:

6x hatchetfish, 2xpearl gouramis, 15 rummynose tetra, 15 and less ember tetra, 4x bolivian rams, 13x sterbai corydoras, 7xotocinclus, 2x bamboo shrimp,4x amano shrimp.

I feel like o have so much in the tank already and the tank still looks empty and i want something different. Both the hat hatchetfish and the embers are dying out. I want something new and interesting but that will work with the tank and current inhabitants.

Ideas: glass catfish or group of kuhli loaches or group of danios or group of some interesting rasboras.or maybe a trio of some twig catfish, more research needed

Or the more mature approach, buy few more pearl gouramis, few more rummynose tetras, few more sterbais.

Please assist i am hopeless. Thanks

Picture is a bit older, doesn't reflect the newly planted rotala forest in the left corner

IMG_1016.JPG

• Like 1

Hi. I understand getting a little restless. it happens from time to time. If I calculated correctly since I'm an inch/gallons person you have a 95 gallon tank give or take some gallons? If that's correct you have options. It seems you might want to SEE some more action in your tank and have more visual interest. Here are my thoughts: 

I have to say I have Embers- as much as I love them they aren't super active fish, at least in the numbers I have them in. I wouldn't mind at some point having a group of 60 or so and see how they act but not sure I need ot take the gamble when there are other fish that are good active fish that add interest to a tank. I would say leave them as they are, they'll still add interest but since they are so small they get lost in the fray at times. 

I would say no to the Kuhlis. You'll never see them. I had 3, I know I lost one (found on the floor) but have NO idea if I have any others in the tank because they never come out. Now you could get a lot more of them, but again, you'll likely never see them. 

I think the glass catfish idea is a nice one. I LOVE those fish and have always wanted them but my parameters are not good for them. They are excellent middle dwellers and to me very interesting. So if you do your research and all your parameters are good for them I wouln't hesitate to get a school of at least 8. 

Also, I want to wave the flag for Harlequin Rasboras. I LOVE mine. Yes they are not uncommon in the hobby but they are SO beautiful when happy, silver, red, black, orange all these beautiful colors in them. They are amazing schoolers ALWAYS together back and forth in the tank. They are hardy in my experience too. I got 10 in 2020 and they are all still with me, never had any issues with them. They are my favorite middle dweller. I also really like my Black Neons, they are a bit apart from the common Neons but I wouldn't sneeze at a groups of those either. 

And, if I were in your position I'd probably add to my Rummy group. And what about Scissortail Rasboras....those are pretty awesome as well. A bit bigger and would be a huge splash of silver in the tank. 

Just do the research and make sure the parameters are good for whatever you decide on next!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 3:40 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I have to say I have Embers- as much as I love them they aren't super active fish, at least in the numbers I have them in. I wouldn't mind at some point having a group of 60 or so and see how they act but not sure I need ot take the gamble when there are other fish that are good active fish that add interest to a tank. I would say leave them as they are, they'll still add interest but since they are so small they get lost in the fray at times. 

Two years ago I started with around 50 embers in this tank. prone to overeating, lazy, didnt appreciate the space, keep dying. No clue why, most likely parasites or something. But they are no better in large groups than in smaller in my opinion. The rummynose, added a year ago, liven them up a bit and provided good feeding competition, but.

I used to have harlequin rasboras in the tank with my shelldwellers for 5 years! They are awesome, curious, good looking. I just do not want to go back to fish I already had.

image.png.b93b03201ee3cfdb0a36e18966907f8d.png

I considered the black neons, but I worry they will be too similar to the embers. I also considered CPD but I realize I do not like the look of them

I foun dsome hightail rasbora online, but I dont think it even sells here. 

I considered Congo tetras but they are too lively, and everything that is livlier like all the barbs and larger tetras is also too nippy for the pearls and absolutely too much for the hatchetfish....Lot of the tetra have mixed report regarding agression and I am just too scared to risk them 

On 1/20/2024 at 3:59 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Then I'm out of suggestions :classic_laugh:

I know, I am impossible. I have been going back and forth, get excited about something and shoot it down. Has been few weeks now 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/20/2024 at 10:00 AM, beastie said:

I know, I am impossible. I have been going back and forth, get excited about something and shoot it down. Has been few weeks now 😄 

Have u thought about white clouds? They are good fish because any paremeters are pretty much fine for these guys. They really don’t get sick at all and u could put a lot em in there for sure.

The White Cloud Mountain minnow is the full name

On 1/20/2024 at 6:27 AM, beastie said:

I am a bit restless and want to buy some new fish, so I will appreciate any advice coming my way.

The tank 120x50x60 cm. Temp 25°C, pH 7, soft.

The fish top to bottom:

6x hatchetfish, 2xpearl gouramis, 15 rummynose tetra, 15 and less ember tetra, 4x bolivian rams, 13x sterbai corydoras, 7xotocinclus, 2x bamboo shrimp,4x amano shrimp.

I feel like o have so much in the tank already and the tank still looks empty and i want something different. Both the hat hatchetfish and the embers are dying out. I want something new and interesting but that will work with the tank and current inhabitants.

Ideas: glass catfish or group of kuhli loaches or group of danios or group of some interesting rasboras.or maybe a trio of some twig catfish, more research needed

Or the more mature approach, buy few more pearl gouramis, few more rummynose tetras, few more sterbais.

Please assist i am hopeless. Thanks

Picture is a bit older, doesn't reflect the newly planted rotala forest in the left corner

IMG_1016.JPG

Bloodfin Tetras: will compliment the Rummynose, you get twice as much color, active swimmers at all levels.

Cherry Barbs: colorful active and peaceful

SAEs:  might get to 4", The hardest working fish in the aquarium, swim at all levels, they do better as a group. and will shoal together when resting, spooked, or...  like all fish

Moonlight Gourami:  might get to 6", mid level swimmer, peaceful, 

how about brilliant green rasboras. very hardy and one of the best schoolers. MY daughter was playing with them at our lfs. they'd follow her hand around the tank. Bigger than scissortails smaller than roseline sharks. Another completely different direction. How about something bigger. Some kind of geophagus. you'd have to rehome your embers though

Edited by Tony s

On 1/20/2024 at 6:40 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

And, if I were in your position I'd probably add to my Rummy group.

Second this. Bigger schools tend to make fish bolder and come out more. Plus less worrying about if everyone is getting enough food or the right diet.