Quarantine & meds

Jeff

I watched a Dan's Fish video yesterday about setting up a QT, and how to keep it running when you're not using it. If I remember correctly, he said that once it's established, you can keep shrimp in it, so that you are forced to keep feeding them and keeping the bacteria active. 

With that said, is the med trio shrimp safe? I would assume so, as he probably wouldn't have said this; but wanted to clarify here. 

On 1/18/2024 at 11:28 AM, Jeff said:

With that said, is the med trio shrimp safe? I would assume so, as he probably wouldn't have said this; but wanted to clarify here. 

I would recommend looking into a few of the flip aquatics videos (and his talk) on shrimp meds.  Basically yes. There are some sensitive species of shrimp. 

In my tanks, I haven't successfully had the shrimp above 1 tbsp per 5 Gallons for salt dose.  I don't recommend going any higher if you aren't doing a dip.  Amanos are safe with basically everything.  Neo/Caridina for bacterial meds it's going to be recommended to start with a half dose (per flip aquatics) and that should be more than sufficient for shrimp bacterial infections.  Beyond that, ich-x is generally considered safe.  For the dewormers and stuff like that it's often used for things like planaria, SJ parasites, or detritus worms, usually to no avail.... so a lot of people stick to salt dose or "no planaria" for shrimp tanks for that use case (parasites).

Edited by nabokovfan87
typo

On 1/18/2024 at 3:02 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I'm  not sure I would personally just leave shrimp in a tank to get repeatedly treated but that's all personal preference.

I thought about this as well. 

What is another avenue to keep a QT going, when you're not using it; so that the bacteria doesn't dominish? 

On 1/19/2024 at 9:27 AM, Jeff said:

What is another avenue to keep a QT going,

I actually don't technically. What I do is run a sponge filter in any of my healthy tanks that I can switch out at any time to plop in a QT tank and "instant cycle". Thing is when you run meds you might kill a good cycle anyway so keeping one on a cycle isn't always an easy thing to do. 

I also add stuff from healthy tanks like hides, plants or other material that has good bacteria on them.

• Like 1

The problem I have, is I only have a 10g tank. Hard to hide a sponge filter in my tank. 

Otherwise, good option!

Any other suggestions on how to keep a QT seeded without any fish in it?