Shallow aquarium plants

ND1990

starting my first shallow tank, a UNS 60S 10 gallon.

I plan to get Crypt Nurri, Parva, nubis petite and hydro Japan off the top of my head

Curious if anyone else has any suggestions? I would like some submersed and emersed. 

• Like 1

Good list.  Keep in mind that Crypt parva is tiny and grows pretty slow.  You’ll want a lot of it if you want it to cover much area with any density.  Crypt lucens is another nice small one but it’s pretty much identical color and shape as parva, just a bigger version.  Anubias nana ‘Golden’ is another good one for a different color and stays small enough for a shallow tank.

Java fern ‘Needle Leaf’ has a small enough scale to be very nice in a smaller tank but will get full height of your tank and even bend over a bit at the top.  My 3 G shrimp tank is Anubias nana ‘Petite’ and Java ‘Needle Leaf’.  Java fern is a bit overgrown in this pic.  I’ve got Crypt jacobsenii ‘Pink’ and A. nana ‘Petite’ in my 2 G shrimp only.  Not very pink for me with a not fancy light and no CO2, but still a nice plant and a nice size for me so far but I’m pretty sure it can get bigger for others.

IMG_4928.jpeg

IMG_5404.jpeg

That’s a couple years growth of C. parva at the front in the 2 G.

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo. Thanks autocorrupt.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Hello! I keep a low tech shallow tank (20 gal long with pretty thick substrate layer) and if you want an easy background plant you don't need to trim, with a look similar to valisneria species, may I suggest crypt spiralis. That would look nice with the other plants you and Odd Duck listed too.

Crypt flamingo (I don't know full scientific name of the top of my head; may be a variety of wendtii) is also pretty cool in shallow because you can turn up the light a little (after the tank has established a bit) and get that nice pink color without CO2 injection. It will stay pretty short so it goes well in foreground.

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2024 at 7:12 AM, Odd Duck said:

Good list.  Keep in mind that Crypt parva is tiny and grows pretty slow.  You’ll want a lot of it if you want it to cover much area with any density.  Crypt lucens is another nice small one but it’s pretty much identical color and shape as parva, just a bigger version.  Anubis nana ‘Golden’ is another good one for a different color and stays small enough for a shallow tank.

Java fern ‘Needle Leaf’ has a small enough scale to be very nice in a smaller tank but will get full height of your tank and even bend over a bit at the top.  My 3 G shrimp tank is Anubias nana ‘Petite’ and Java ‘Needle Leaf’.  Java fern is a bit overgrown in this pic.  I’ve got Crypt jacobsenii ‘Pink’ and A. nana ‘Petite’ in my 2 G shrimp only.  Not very pink for me with a not fancy light and no CO2, but still a nice plant and a nice size for me so far but I’m pretty sure it can get bigger for others.

IMG_4928.jpeg

IMG_5404.jpeg

That’s a couple years growth of C. parva at the front in the 2 G.

Might help if I spell Anubis correctly as well haha. I did add Anubis Golden, some Buce and flamingo pink just for a splash of color in the middle. See what happens with it! Excited for this, I’ve wanted one for a while, but never pulled the trigger.

On 1/17/2024 at 4:50 PM, cmo1922 said:

Hello! I keep a low tech shallow tank (20 gal long with pretty thick substrate layer) and if you want an easy background plant you don't need to trim, with a look similar to valisneria species, may I suggest crypt spiralis. That would look nice with the other plants you and Odd Duck listed too.

Crypt flamingo (I don't know full scientific name of the top of my head; may be a variety of wendtii) is also pretty cool in shallow because you can turn up the light a little (after the tank has established a bit) and get that nice pink color without CO2 injection. It will stay pretty short so it goes well in foreground.

Yeah no background plant on this one, will be my first without haha. I did also get the flamingo pink, I usually have good results with some co2 needy plants, not sure what it is, but I can grow them well without, so we will see!

On 1/20/2024 at 7:09 PM, ND1990 said:

Might help if I spell Anubis correctly as well haha. I did add Anubis Golden, some Buce and flamingo pink just for a splash of color in the middle. See what happens with it! Excited for this, I’ve wanted one for a while, but never pulled the trigger.

Yeah no background plant on this one, will be my first without haha. I did also get the flamingo pink, I usually have good results with some co2 needy plants, not sure what it is, but I can grow them well without, so we will see!

It would help if I spelled consistently correctly, too.  Autocorrupt always wants to correct it to Anubis instead of Anubias.  🤦🏻‍♀️ Going to correct mine, now.

On 1/21/2024 at 8:16 AM, Odd Duck said:

It would help if I spelled consistently correctly, too.  Autocorrupt always wants to correct it to Anubis instead of Anubias.  🤦🏻‍♀️ Going to correct mine, now.

I promise I have a degree.. lol Anubias…. 

• Haha 1

I like to grow emergent plants in shallow tanks to add depth. There are quite a few North American species if You’re interested. Pictured below is a 50g Lowboy with Water willow, White top Sedge, dwarf sheldon snake grass, and some yet unidentified violet and sorrel species that hitched a ride

IMG_3918.jpeg.2cb572ed33586fb83cc9973c6a700525.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

When I kept a shallow tank I really enjoyed having Blyxa Japonica. They act like tall grass but they’re easier to manage and they get really bushy. I only have this photo left but it’s on the left side. IMG_5237.jpeg.4936bd29f1c2ae1658b955bd7d79a0c0.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh, and Echinodorus vesuvius, Vesuvius sword.  Its very tightly twisty leaves can make a very cool effect.  Like fine leaved, miniature Vallisneria contorta - the twistiest species.  Takes less maintenance than stems but more than Anubias.  It will need runners intermittently guided into place, pushed down into the substrate, or trimmed away as needed.  Very brief upkeep if done weekly, a couple minutes or less each week.