Java fern dying?

This is my java ferns I planted in my tank 2 wks ago...but u can kinda c in the pic, it's starting to grow babys at the top of one or 2 of the leaves, and from what I've seen, that means the plant thinks it's dying?!? I currently do not have ne easy green, but it's on my list this wk. Do I just leave the plant be and hope for the best??

IMG_20240114_105353.jpg

• Like 1

It is probably fine. Enjoy the baby J-ferns, I pluck mine off, and plant around the tank once they're about 4x that size. Just be sure that you preserve rhizome stalk. I've had them melt away entirely, then restart from the rhizome without explanation. Are there any fish in there?

• Like 2

I think most java ferns are grown with their leaves out of water and when you put them fully in water it does stress the plant so it wants to create babies. Its not really an issue though. Its essentially just adjusting to its new environment. Its making babies that are better suited to your water. Its happened with all my java ferns and they all survived just fine and are growing well. Some of the original leaves did die off but it was very slowly. 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2024 at 12:24 PM, Fish Folk said:

I'd leave it alone. Java ferns aren't necessarily dying completely when they produce new off-shoots. 

correct. they could be 100% fine, or they could just be stressed, or they could be dying. 

• Like 1