Fish Breeding Methods

Gliderzz

There are so many resources about which fish to breed for profit, but not on how to do it well. I've been able to raise a couple batches of fry (cories, guppies & gouramis) but it usually takes a long time. What are your best breeding practices? Do you have any tips/tricks to raise your fish faster?

As a side note, I have three 10 gallon tanks. Should I choose one species and stick with them? How would be the best way to do that? etc.

• Like 2

In my opinion, unless you (1) get very good at one or two specific valuable species, (2) can produce them consistently in substantial quantities, and (3) unless you get good at shipping fish…

…breeding fish for profit is more of a pipe dream than a profitable plan.

Do what you enjoy!

Here’s what I’m enjoying…

IMG_6848.jpeg.78aa0d27899976c173d3190e499ba7b6.jpeg

IMG_6853.jpeg.07bb6b1deb4a9291008bae9eace47140.jpeg

• Like 4

On 1/12/2024 at 11:49 PM, Fish Folk said:

In my opinion, unless you (1) get very good at one or two specific valuable species, (2) can produce them consistently in substantial quantities, and (3) unless you get good at shipping fish…

…breeding fish for profit is more of a pipe dream than a profitable plan.

Do what you enjoy!

Here’s what I’m enjoying…

IMG_6848.jpeg.78aa0d27899976c173d3190e499ba7b6.jpeg

IMG_6853.jpeg.07bb6b1deb4a9291008bae9eace47140.jpeg

For sure! My goal isn't to make consistent money off of breeding, rather not be losing it. It takes about 7-9 months to raise fry to a sellable size, and even then I usually only get 10-15 (with my current batch, only 6). I'd love to know how people are able to get high survival rates and raise the fish in 4-5 months

and by the way, those rainbow shiners are insanely beautiful!

• Like 1

Ok. Here’s some things to keep In mind about breeding fish in high quantity and growing them out quickly:

(1) Generally speaking, your water needs to be changed before poor quality affects fry development.

(2) Frequent offering of live foods, and an otherwise high-protein diet is crucial for fry growth between 1-month and 4-months.

So rule of thumb: Feed Quality / Feed Frequently / Change Water Often.

Now, certain species do not require as heavy a water changing process. But this is sound advice, generally speaking.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 3

Keeping fish simple on YouTube has some of the best info, he also visits other breeders and logs it all on video. The vedieos can be 1h+, I put it on when I do chores. There is some great I fo but it is hidden

• Like 5

Move all the fry within similar age group together, raise the temperature, feed them well and do alot of water change will max your fry growth. But if you do do all of that will the small bit of money really worth your extra time/effort. 

I say slow down and enjoy your fish is worth more.

I also sell some fish throughout the year but it on my time and when I feel like shipping.

Edited by WhitecloudDynasty
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the advice!

I'm raising the temperature a bit, and increasing water changes as well as feedings. Something I didn't think about was that the fry are large enough to eat dry food, so I should probably feed them both live and dry to increase the frequency of feedings. I think the lack of water changes played the biggest role, since I didn't know that affected their development (water was changed often, but could probably be changed more often). Thanks again!

• Like 2

My biggest secret has been my Panda Angels. I get $4 in store credit for each one. I take them 15-20 at a time to the LFS, and that $60-80 stacks up. 

I let the parents spawn as they please, and if I’m in need of the next batch I’ll pull it. I take the spawn down to a manageable size, roughly 60-100 eggs. I then hatch those eggs, and grow em out over the coming months. I don’t rush it, I just feed them well once per day and do a water change once per week. My goal is to raise healthy fish, not raise them as fast as possible.

I grow them out a bit bigger since my LFS was stoked the first time I brought them in a little bigger. No big deal to me, so I do it. Just means I get to enjoy the fish for longer. 

When I go into the LFS and notice they’re low I’ll hit them up and ask if they’re ready for the next batch. Likewise, if it has been a while and I have the next batch ready and I haven’t heard from them I’ll hit them up. 

I used to do smaller more frequent spawns, but I’ve realized I can just hatch one bigger batch, and then take em to the LFS 15 at a time, always getting rid of the biggest ones. Then the smaller ones catch up and I take those, rinse and repeat. 

I’ve spawned other fish, but they take more effort and time, grow slower, and I don’t get as much per fish, so I’ve just stuck to the Panda Angels the past year or so and it has worked out really well for me. I regularly have $200-300 in store credit just waiting to be used. If I need something I always look there first to use the credit I’ve stacked up. If they don’t have it or something comparable, then I’ll go elsewhere. 

This has garnered a great relationship with the LFS where the manager and employees know me by name, and I know theirs. They’re also willing to bring things in for me if they have access to it. They know I have the store credit, so it’s not a big deal to them to tack something onto an order they’re already placing anyways. 

I guess that’s the long-winded way to say what @Fish Folk said as #1 in their original post. I’ve found a species that I’m good at and is profitable for me, so I keep doing it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Fish Folk Thanks! It has served me well. I took them 15 today, and have another 10 that will be ready whenever they need them. 

Behind them, I have the next 60-75 in a 10 gallon grow out. They have another few weeks in there or so, and then they’ll get moved to the 55 to grow out and eventually take to the LFS. 

I won’t have to hatch eggs again for another 6 months probably, but will continue to have 15 of them at a time to take to the LFS. Way less work, all the same perks. 

If I had more space I’d do a couple more species, but effort to money ratio is good right now, and my credit at the shop stays balanced. 

• Like 2

On 1/18/2024 at 10:19 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

My biggest secret has been my Panda Angels. I get $4 in store credit for each one. I take them 15-20 at a time to the LFS, and that $60-80 stacks up. 

I let the parents spawn as they please, and if I’m in need of the next batch I’ll pull it. I take the spawn down to a manageable size, roughly 60-100 eggs. I then hatch those eggs, and grow em out over the coming months. I don’t rush it, I just feed them well once per day and do a water change once per week. My goal is to raise healthy fish, not raise them as fast as possible.

I grow them out a bit bigger since my LFS was stoked the first time I brought them in a little bigger. No big deal to me, so I do it. Just means I get to enjoy the fish for longer. 

When I go into the LFS and notice they’re low I’ll hit them up and ask if they’re ready for the next batch. Likewise, if it has been a while and I have the next batch ready and I haven’t heard from them I’ll hit them up. 

I used to do smaller more frequent spawns, but I’ve realized I can just hatch one bigger batch, and then take em to the LFS 15 at a time, always getting rid of the biggest ones. Then the smaller ones catch up and I take those, rinse and repeat. 

I’ve spawned other fish, but they take more effort and time, grow slower, and I don’t get as much per fish, so I’ve just stuck to the Panda Angels the past year or so and it has worked out really well for me. I regularly have $200-300 in store credit just waiting to be used. If I need something I always look there first to use the credit I’ve stacked up. If they don’t have it or something comparable, then I’ll go elsewhere. 

This has garnered a great relationship with the LFS where the manager and employees know me by name, and I know theirs. They’re also willing to bring things in for me if they have access to it. They know I have the store credit, so it’s not a big deal to them to tack something onto an order they’re already placing anyways. 

I guess that’s the long-winded way to say what @Fish Folk said as #1 in their original post. I’ve found a species that I’m good at and is profitable for me, so I keep doing it. 

that's amazing! This seriously helps with understanding the rhythm around breeding & selling

• Thanks 1

Some good advice here already. One thing I'll add is to have more tanks available than you think you'll need.

It's really tempting to just get another species and set them up in that extra tank but haven't extra tanks can be super helpful for:

Having a separate tank to put a pair into to spawn then pull the adults. Pulling faster grown fry before they eat smaller siblings. Raising multiple batches of fry.