Sponge Filter Modification?

Kerri

I have started a 3 gallon shrimp tank to mature with snails (no shrimp yet). The original HOB filter isnt great. I recently purchased a “Nano” sized Aquarium Co-Op sponge filter for it, which has turned out to be too tall. In my excitement of ordering, I did not look closely enough at the height suggestions and I have already made cuts to the tubes, so I cannot return it. It would “just fit” in my aquarium, but it really is close to the top of the water…I should have bought a small. Since the nano has 2 strainer pieces that snap together, could I take one off and cut the coarse sponge in 1/2 and essentially make the sponge filter 1/2 the height it is? Would it affect the filtration/workings of it? Looking for solutions.IMG_1161.jpeg.57afa55626b118f49b07b0b9b3954acd.jpeg

IMG_1162.jpeg

Edited by Kerri

Unfortunately, your pictures are just showing up as black boxes for me, but that might be just a me issue.

For the sponge filter, you don't need to have the uplift tube attached, it just makes it a bit more efficient.  But if that makes it too tall, you can leave it off entirely.

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Kerri my apologies. Can you try to re-upload the photos? They aren't showing up for us.

On 1/3/2024 at 1:27 PM, Kerri said:

Since the nano has 2 strainer pieces that snap together, could I take one off and cut the coarse sponge in 1/2 and essentially make the sponge filter 1/2 the height it is? Would it affect the filtration/workings of it? Looking for solutions.

You can do that. Just make sure that the pieces all fit before you cut any sponge. You'd want it to snap together and doesn't fall apart when you lift it up or move it.

You can also opt for more sponge and not having the uplift tube.

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2024 at 4:55 PM, jwcarlson said:

Unfortunately, your pictures are just showing up as black boxes for me, but that might be just a me issue.

For the sponge filter, you don't need to have the uplift tube attached, it just makes it a bit more efficient.  But if that makes it too tall, you can leave it off entirely.

I tried several times on the photos:( They won’t show up.

• 2 weeks later...

This is how I did it..:classic_biggrin:. Cut some of the uplift tubes shorter,  sealed them with silicone (just to avoid any air leaks.) And rather then cutting the sponge on this one, I just compressed it on the half.... And walla!   Half Pint Sponge Filter Nermy!!  :classic_laugh:  We'll see what happens. So far, so good..

20240117_063944.jpg

20240117_063929.jpg

20240117_063946.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another sponge filter modification. I just can't stop goofing around with them! :classic_laugh: I love these things!  I did another half the tube and didn't cut the sponge, with a medium sized...just squished it on to see if I could!  :classic_biggrin:   Haven't put it into a tank yet.  It's a work in progress.  :classic_laugh:

20240131_074520.jpg

• Haha 3