Advice on Stocking Tanks

I have 3 tanks that I need some stocking advice on. I have never tried Cychlids before so I thought this would be the time to do it. That is where i need the most advice. I have a choice of 3 thanks they could go in. All tanks are in width depth and height measurements. I have the right PH  for them and the other stuff I can handle. 

1. 23.6 X 11.7 x 14.3 No lid but I could probably get one that would work for it.

2. 15 X 15 X 16.7 cube tank with lid

3. Standard 20 gallon tall tank - had a leak that I fixed and now it can be put back into service.

There are so many choices but these are on the smaller side tanks so the fish would have to be happy with the size. I can break up site lines with wood and plants. I would also like suggestions on companion fish and algae controllers for what-ever I end up getting. I am hoiping to throw this out here for some suggestions.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@TeeJay or @Guppysnail might be able to share some killi photos!

I would think tanks 1-2 are pretty awesome for a few things.  The cube, potentially just go plants only and scape it really well.  Stick towards just otos, amanos, clithon snails, etc.  There's a ton of fun options out there.  If you can do live foods, it does open up some really beautiful species that would be extremely unique and interesting.

Something like elassoma species (cc @Fish Folk has them breeding! ) would be great as well in a setup like what you're working with.

Nano size tetra, rasbora, minnow species, danios, and fish under 1" would be where I personally start. 

If it was my setups and all things were possible:
1.  Bolivian ram or German blue ram solo tank with some shrimp culls maybe.
2.  Plant only, fancy scape tank, maybe a centerpiece killi or a small group of white clouds.
3.  The world of nano is really your oyster here.  Find some nice branchy style wood and then try out 2-3 schools of very small nano cypranidae (rasbora, danio, minnows) or if I was brave it would be for NANF species like elassoma types.

• Like 1

Killis gardenri could be a good choice. Cpds and honey gouramis are always fun to have around. . I have a tank setup with pygmy corys and dwarf emerald rasboras. Any of your smaller fish like this would work well in these 3 tanks. You could probably do a pair of apisto borelli in the 20 gallon. I feel these are some of the most docile in the cichlid world. The pic attached is of the killi gardneri.

Screenshot_20240101-173641.png

• Love 1

Guppysnail - Perfectly OK Hope you get your babies soon.

Thank you all for the great suggestions and I want you to know that I think I have found the fish. It was one I had never even heard of and spent the day doing research. I love that it is a US fish for some odd reason. Even though most fish are US bred anyway I not sure why this would matter but I just like the idea that this little one comes from close to home.

Again, thank you all for your time in helping me out.

• Love 2