New pre filter intake

alcidmr

I got my new pre filter and I don't want to mess up and kill my BB. I haven't change it since 2 years ago I just clean and put back, but I'm afraid to switch and mess ut up

Can someone help me make sure i don't mess up I know it's eazy just don't want to mess up lol.

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 4:49 PM, alcidmr said:

I got my new pre filter and I don't want to mess up and kill my BB. I haven't change it since 2 years ago I just clean and put back, but I'm afraid to switch and mess ut up

Can someone help me make sure i don't mess up I know it's eazy just don't want to mess up lol.

Thanks.

@alcidmr just put the new pre-filter on you will be fine 🙂 

Edited by Tlindsey
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2023 at 1:49 PM, alcidmr said:

Thanks.

Think of it this way....

The strongest bacteria will have a few traits, they have either just been created or they have survived some things.  Something I learned when I had the ziss bubble bio filter is that it breeds strong bacteria.  Cleaning the filtration, it's not an issue because you're cleaning *mechanical* filtration and not biological.  (That being said, what is your filtration and how is it setup?)  You will clean it and knock off the dying or old bacteria which means that new, strong bacterial can colonize those surfaces.  You don't want fat/lazy bacteria, you want the fit/strong bacteria to keep the tank stable! 

It's a bit of an analogy, but that's the goal with your equipment and your tank.  Don't be afraid to clean the tank or scrape the glass, siphon, etc.

With the media in the HOB, and the sponge, and all the surfaces, switching out the pre filter sponge should not cause any issues. 

Same does for the root tabs assuming they’re the Aquarium Coop root tabs. They’re harmless. Basically a gelatin capsule with dirt and minerals in them. 

Everything should be fine. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2023 at 3:12 PM, alcidmr said:

@nabokovfan87 I have a hang on the back for a 30 gallon tank with sponges from coop and a mall pre filter but changing because it to tiny got a medium and I also have a sponge filter with air and an extra air stone

Plenty of movement and filtration. That's awesome.

On 12/28/2023 at 3:23 PM, alcidmr said:

And I added some fertilizer capsule and accidentally broke it that's why is cloudy should I be worried? 

I use a little needle or push pin / safety pin and poke a tiny hole in both ends.  It's one of the struggles of using gel caps, but it shouldn't be detrimental.  Keep an eye out for a major algae bloom, ammonia spike, nitrite spike, over the next couple of days.  All you would really need to do if anything happens is water change(s).

• Thanks 1