Mystery snail?

Jenna

I got a mystery snail from petsmart about 7/8 months ago maybe a little bigger than a quarter…. Well now he’s pushing 3inches and I’m wondering if maybe I’ve got something else. He was in a planted tank but was moved to a tank without after he ate almost everything (even healthy anubias plants). I was feeding him a veggie almost daily trying to satisfy him but had to move him to a tank without live plants. Thoughts on if this is actually a mystery snail or something else?

IMG_2860.jpeg

IMG_2862.jpeg

On 12/25/2023 at 5:29 PM, Jenna said:

Thanks for the response. That’s what I was leaning towards especially given his current size just figured I’d ask if anyone could tell. No more petsmart mystery snails for me either way! 

Sounds like an apple snail, but due to invasive issues(big, hard to kill, fast reproducing snails that eat everything) i believe they are pretty much illegal in the US, so im not sure whats up with that.

On 12/25/2023 at 4:34 PM, GoofyGarra said:

Sounds like an apple snail, but due to invasive issues(big, hard to kill, fast reproducing snails that eat everything) i believe they are pretty much illegal in the US, so im not sure whats up with that.

Yeah I’m from Canada and they are banned here too so not sure how petsmart ended up with them. Thankfully I only have one and never seen any eggs so breeding shouldn’t be a problem. 

It sounds like your snail has undergone some impressive growth! 🐌 While mystery snails can vary in size, a three-inch snail is on the larger side. Sometimes, differences in growth can be influenced by diet and tank conditions. If you're uncertain about the species, consider checking its shell features or consulting with fellow hobbyists or a local aquarium expert for more insights.

• Like 1

The apple snail is a family of snails, while the mystery snail is a species in that family. You can call a mystery snail an apple snail, but not the other way around. More than that, although their anatomy and appearance are similar, mystery snails never grow as big as apple snails.

Secondly, The mystery snail grows up to 1.5 inches in Diameter. Other apple snails, however, can grow as large as 6 inches.(In Diameter)
Keep in mind that mystery snails CAN grow up to 3 inches lengthwise especially as you have measured their foot.

Thirdly, Mystery snails have darker colors, such as brown, black, or blue while other apple snails have lighter shades of gold brown, pink, red or blue.
Mystery snails have more slated feet.
Overall, it seems to be a mystery snail.

Edited by Vetrivel
  • Like 2

Thanks for the responses! Seems I may have a large mystery that devours everything or if he grows anymore possibly some other kind of apple snail.

any other snail experts feel free to make ID opinions 

I had to move and only have room for one tank that is pretty heavily planted so he stays in this five gallon primarily eating algae wafers with the occasional veggie and not getting a lot of water changes as I live over three hours away so only get to it when I come out not ideal but the best I can do.  IMG_2869.jpeg.aa7ddf4646dd169eda97fb59ebfa3631.jpeg

This is Chestnut.  Mystery snail whose brothers and sisters never reached his size.  Just like any creature some can be extra large or stay to small.  He was a juvenile here and lived 2 years past this.  His siblings did not have the size or longevity.  

Add protein to your guys diet.  There is something missing in his diet if he is a mystery snail or he would not eat plants. 

Pet smart/co contract there critters so it would not have come from them.  However petco does adopt unwanted critters and offer them for sale.  So it is possible you have gotten a snail someone brought in from their pond. 

31FB54A3-67A7-44B8-85F5-9E979042E2DB.jpeg

C85A2B88-4B7D-4F5C-AF24-FE1D12FBFFFB.jpeg

6BB3BE47-4D76-4D53-89D5-84C965A1C115.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 12/26/2023 at 10:14 PM, Guppysnail said:

Add protein to your guys diet.  There is something missing in his diet if he is a mystery snail or he would not eat plants.

Thanks! I guess I never really thought about some getting so much bigger than others. I will definitely add some protein to his diet and then try a few plants with him again. I guess my fish ate most/all of their foods before it got to the bottom where he could get some (when he was with cherry barbs who eat bug bites and frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp).