Stocking ideas for 6.5 gallon

ambiguoustitle

So I have a 6.5 gallon established tank planted with some java fern and water sprite. Was my first tank that is now empty, started with three platy before I knew how livebearers worked. Anybody have a similar sized tank they've had stocked for awhile? It would be nice to have something other than just a single betta or pea puffer. 

Any idea would be welcome. 

• Like 1

I'm bound by oath to recommend killifish whenever I see a stocking recommendation like this.

If you want an interesting breeding project you could go with a Nothobranchius species. They live about 10-16 months depending on species and care. I've kept a pair in a 2.5 and small groups in a 5 with lots of cover. Here's a pair of my Nothobranchius Eggersi:

PXL_20231007_160312740.jpg.8ac66097846790c6f1fd3ec00b73a804.jpg

For something that live longer and may be easier to source you could go with Aphyosemion Australe or Striatum. Both are pretty docile and love plants. You can probably get away with a small group but a pair is definitely fine in there and if you keep them fed fry will probably pop up. @Slick_Nick has some pictures of Striatum in his journal here (that's not a Striatum in the thumbnail):

Fundulopanchax Gardneri are also very pretty. I have limited experience with them but I do have some closely related fish in a 5 gallon Biotope and they don't seem to beat each other up (at least nothing serious like can happen with Nothobranchius). I think @Fish Folk has some Gardneri.

Also clown killis are a good fit and they are shrimp safe.

General rule for all of these: tight lid. I had 1/2 gap in a lid. They did fine for a few months and then suddenly something stressed them out and three jumped out and I found them dried out being the shelf.

The species I mentioned are the more common ones your LFS should be able to find. If you're adventurous you can look on Aquabid or Dan's fish and you'll find plenty of other cool ones.

The best option will probably be too just ask around. If you are in an area with a fish club, ask them and they'll probably hook you up with the local "killifish guy". Odds are they will be willing to share just for the opportunity to tell you about their fish (I got cornered at the club barbecue). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/15/2023 at 12:48 PM, Scapexghost said:

It depends in the dimentions, but i find guppies work well. I did them in a 5.5 a while back and got a lot of breeding. I didnt see any signs that they felt cramped. Guppies are tiny and not fast swimmers.

If livebearers, I would do male only, and endlers, not guppies. I had 4 in a 5 gallon for a month or two to liven it up, was not a problem.

I also would under no circumstances do a pair of any betta, imbelis are also killers. One yes, two no.  I have both least rasboras and clown killifish in separate and larger tanks, but I can see them working in a 5 gallon no problem. If you make it to their liking (floaters, dim lights, branches, leaf litter,..)

Tiny tank and tiny fish have another problem. Large water changes mess up the chemistry too much. Overfeeding is a quick killer. Fertilizers are easily overdosed. Also small fish -> small mouth = small food. Shrimp are definitely easier than a 5 gallon with fish. Just saying

• Like 2

The idea I had when I tried looking up the tank was to put it on a sturdy desk in some bright indirect light. Use it like a planter with Peace Lilly, Pothos, Aluminum Plant, all climbing out. No nerite or mystery snails, speaking of climbing out. I'm thinking I would fill it with a skittles colony of neocardinia shrimp, and maybe add some of my "pest" pond snails and red ramshorns to take on algae types the shrimp don't favor.

• Like 1