Top Fin 40G Tank...does a lid exist?

Saltinthedesert

Running into a problem I'm sure others have seen. I've scoured the internet for a solve but not seeing anything.

I purchased a 40g TopFin tank from Petsmart. The dimensions as listed on the website are:

Dimensions: 36.5 in L x 15.5 in W

Upon picking it up, I looked for a lid, and the asscoiate assured me this was the right lid. It even said "IDEAL FOR 40G AQUARIUMS" on the box. The 40g lid from Petsmart shows these dimensions:

Product Dimensions: 35 in L x 16.5 W

Needless to say, it doesn't fit. Has anyone ever found a proper fitting lid for the TopFin 40g tank?

Screen Shot 2023-12-12 at 11.04.47 AM.png

I would start by getting the brand on the phone and go from there. I'll see what I can find. It's a known issue and it's something I see across all brands with lids these days. How you mess it up that badly, idk. I have a big gap on my 29G lid because front to back they decided to just leave a big 3/4" opening.

The other option would be aqueon versatop, but I'll try to find some dimensions.

Screenshot_20231212-112509.png

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2023 at 1:38 PM, Saltinthedesert said:

What in the world.

I called aqueon on mine and they said "we know".  I send them all the photos and asked the person I was talking with on the engineering / technical side to please let the higher ups know that it's a bit bizarre.  For their case, it's a glass thickness issue which means they have the wrong rear trim.  I would love for them to upgrade it to have the proper size hinge / parts, but yeah...

@Saltinthedesert do you still have the lid or did you return it?  I assume the issue was that the lid itself wasn't long enough, left to right, but fit properly front to back?  What is the dimension on the inside edge of the rim and does the tank have a crossbrace?

@nabokovfan87 The lid is BARELY wide enough. And I mean barely. Its WAY too deep, with a couple inches of glass hanging over the edge, even without the plastic extender piece.

i still have the lid because I wanted yo have somehting on there until I find one with a proper fit but maybe that doesn't exist unless i make it, which I wasn't looking to do this round.

On 12/12/2023 at 1:54 PM, Saltinthedesert said:

@nabokovfan87 The lid is BARELY wide enough. And I mean barely. Its WAY too deep, with a couple inches of glass hanging over the edge, even without the plastic extender piece.

The screenshot has the aqueon dimensions and I'm willing to be it would fit.  If you can, measure it, then lets compare dims.

If that one isn't viable, we can look elsewhere.   There are some options out there!

I am going through the same exact problem. Today I purchased the same aquarium and lid from petsmart and the lid doesn't fit. I went online to find another one and can't find anything. Please update if you come up with anything. Thank you!

On 12/17/2023 at 5:26 PM, RyanT said:

I just purchased the aquarium today. 34 3/4 would be the true width by 13 7/8. For the actual opening for the lid. Thanks for the help!

Interesting.  The aqueon version is 35.2" wide, so it'd be slightly too wide then.  In terms of fit what was the issue with the topfin one, side to side or front to back?

There are many complaints about lack of simple glass lid for top fine 40B; they do make a cover with an integrated worthless light

-

best bet is to have one made either out of glass or plexiglass; you can get the rubber hinges pretty cheap; my fish store sells them at something like 50 cents a foot. Some of the hardware store will be happy to cut glass for you - vaguely i think ace-hardware you can order custom size glass so just order two planes of the right side and throw in a hinge between them. Best bet it think. Aqueon lid won't fit others have tried.

On 12/18/2023 at 5:14 AM, RyanT said:

I believe I would have the same problem with that lid too unfortunately.  The front to back depth is to large. It is just under 14 inch opening. 

I found that one as someone had recommended it for their top fin 40b tank.  Most glass lids come with a rear trim that you can cut or remove as you need to.  As long as the left to right fits, there's a lot of other ways to modify the front to back...  without touching the glass itself.

s-l960.jpg.8e4abf0ea10e5da66798d4265ab70ecd.jpg

• 6 months later...