what could this be I am really worried?

Dzoni

A week ago I noticed something weird on my right side of fish near gills. Since then hes been in small hospital tank with daoly water change. I am wonderih what more can I do for him and how dangerous is it?
Also scales seem going really slightly outward and his fin on damaged side is half gone. Any help wouod be appricieted I am really worried for little guy. First pic is one where there is more white stuff near wound and newest being one with least

IMG_20231203_140025.jpg

IMG_20231208_143001.jpg

• Sad 1

On 12/8/2023 at 11:01 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It looks to be some pretty bad damage.  Can you please give us your water parameters for everything, including ammonia?  How is your filtration setup.

ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates are in normal levels i do weekly water changes of 25% and my filtration setup is basic overflow filter which is placed on wall of my 65l aquarium

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 2:10 PM, Dzoni said:

ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates are in normal levels i do weekly water changes of 25% and my filtration setup is basic overflow filter which is placed on wall of my 65l aquarium

OK @Dzoni .  First off, welcome to the forums.  @Colu and @Odd Duck would be the best to ask regarding the issue you're experiencing. 

There's a few things we can do while we wait for advice and guidelines.  One of those is to go through what you have on hand and what would or could be beneficial in the long term.  My gut tells me that this damage might be slightly permanent given the severity.

1.  With any sort of ammonia or nitrite burns you can use aquarium salt to reduce the risk of damage.  It also can be used for any external issues and at times of stress to help with thing like osmoregulation or removing external parasites. (it dehydrates them)

2.  Botanicals can be used for antibacterial and antifungal properties.

3.  Given the wound is smooth and not wool or cotton like, this points towards a bacterial issue.  Meds like maracyn would be advised.

4.  If this is caused by an external parasite, the location would point towards something like gill flukes or other protozoan issues. Ich-X is a med that could be used for protozoan as well as paracleanse for gill flukes.

Let us know what, if anything of the above you have on hand.  Aquarium salt is the easiest to get your hands on as well as botanicals.

On 12/8/2023 at 11:28 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

OK @Dzoni .  First off, welcome to the forums.  @Colu and @Odd Duck would be the best to ask regarding the issue you're experiencing. 

There's a few things we can do while we wait for advice and guidelines.  One of those is to go through what you have on hand and what would or could be beneficial in the long term.  My gut tells me that this damage might be slightly permanent given the severity.

1.  With any sort of ammonia or nitrite burns you can use aquarium salt to reduce the risk of damage.  It also can be used for any external issues and at times of stress to help with thing like osmoregulation or removing external parasites. (it dehydrates them)

2.  Botanicals can be used for antibacterial and antifungal properties.

3.  Given the wound is smooth and not wool or cotton like, this points towards a bacterial issue.  Meds like maracyn would be advised.

4.  If this is caused by an external parasite, the location would point towards something like gill flukes or other protozoan issues. Ich-X is a med that could be used for protozoan as well as paracleanse for gill flukes.

Let us know what, if anything of the above you have on hand.  Aquarium salt is the easiest to get your hands on as well as botanicals.

I dont have anything at hand right now and fish medication is equal to non existent only thin that could be obtainable is aquarium saltbwhich i seen at couple of places

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 2:30 PM, Dzoni said:

I dont have anything at hand right now and fish medication is equal to non existent only thin that could be obtainable is aquarium saltbwhich i seen at couple of places

Ok.  See if you can get your hands on that.  They may have blackwater extract or botanicals in the betta fish sections.  You could also use a piece of wood if available.

Dose would be 1 tbsp per 2 Gallons of water.  If you have live plants, it is recommended to move them while dosing in salt.  Depending which plants are in the tank, some will do just fine with the salt in there (like anubias or ferns)

On 12/8/2023 at 11:32 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Ok.  See if you can get your hands on that.  They may have blackwater extract or botanicals in the betta fish sections.  You could also use a piece of wood if available.

Dose would be 1 tbsp per 2 Gallons of water.  If you have live plants, it is recommended to move them while dosing in salt.  Depending which plants are in the tank, some will do just fine with the salt in there (like anubias or ferns)

Hospital tank doesnt have any plants so that wouldnt be problem. Do you think my fish would be fine or is this dangerous? Also noticed bulge on top fin pushing it a little outwards

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 4:30 PM, Dzoni said:

What country are you in (this can help us figure out options, sometimes) and can you order in any medications?  If you can’t get any antibiotics that you can put into food or water, do you have any topical medications you can use?  Something like povidone iodine solution often used for people?  Netting the fish, laying it on a bed of cotton balls or gauze soaked with tank water, then gently swabbing a wound like this with the povidone iodine can be very helpful.  If you can get the supplies for this, have everything completely ready so you only have the fish out of water for a few seconds.  Have cotton-tipped swabs already saturated with a few drops of the iodine solution, have the cotton or gauze “bed” already soaked with tank water in a clean, flat dish or lid.  Then catch, swab, and release.  Best if you can release the fish into a hospital tank for further care and close monitoring.  

The real question is:  How did your fish get injured?  Usually it’s another fish has done this, either directly or by driving / chasing this fish into something that caused the wound.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2023 at 11:45 PM, Odd Duck said:

What country are you in (this can help us figure out options, sometimes) and can you order in any medications?  If you can’t get any antibiotics that you can put into food or water, do you have any topical medications you can use?  Something like povidone iodine solution often used for people?  Netting the fish, laying it on a bed of cotton balls or gauze soaked with tank water, then gently swabbing a wound like this with the povidone iodine can be very helpful.  If you can get the supplies for this, have everything completely ready so you only have the fish out of water for a few seconds.  Have cotton-tipped swabs already saturated with a few drops of the iodine solution, have the cotton or gauze “bed” already soaked with tank water in a clean, flat dish or lid.  Then catch, swab, and release.  Best if you can release the fish into a hospital tank for further care and close monitoring.  

The real question is:  How did your fish get injured?  Usually it’s another fish has done this, either directly or by driving / chasing this fish into something that caused the wound.

I have iodine at home and could easly buy it but I dont know how it happened last saturday when doing water change i noticed it and it was like this. Edit: country I am in is Bosnia

IMG_20231202_200942.jpg

Edited by Dzoni
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 11:58 PM, Odd Duck said:

I have no idea what you might be able to get in Bosnia.  For now, use the iodine and check to see what you can get - kanamycin, minocycline, and erythromycin ate all good options for something like this.  Use the aquarium salt as @nabokovfan87 recommended. You may be able to get by with the salt and the iodine.

Sorry for bothering again but do you think is this dangerous or i shouldnt be worried

On 12/8/2023 at 4:59 PM, Dzoni said:

Sorry for bothering again but do you think is this dangerous or i shouldnt be worried

It’s a fairly significant wound, but if you can prevent it getting infected, he should survive.  He will almost certainly have a scar and may never grow back all of that pectoral fin, but he can adapt to that, usually just fine.  Fish do have fairly significant regenerative capacity, so it’s impossible to say how this will look once it heals.  If the wound gets infected, then all bets are off on whether he will heal or survive.  I’ve certainly seen fish survive worse, but I’ve also seen them pass from less.  It’s too soon to say.

On 12/9/2023 at 12:06 AM, Odd Duck said:

It’s a fairly significant wound, but if you can prevent it getting infected, he should survive.  He will almost certainly have a scar and may never grow back all of that pectoral fin, but he can adapt to that, usually just fine.  Fish do have fairly significant regenerative capacity, so it’s impossible to say how this will look once it heals.  If the wound gets infected, then all bets are off on whether he will heal or survive.  I’ve certainly seen fish survive worse, but I’ve also seen them pass from less.  It’s too soon to say.

So if I keep water clean he should be fine and use iodine

• Like 1