Amazon Sword problems

Eric G

I am trying to figure out what is causing this, levels are good. Some of the leaves on my Amazon swords are a nice green, others  brown, holes, stringy and ghostly. They have been thriving since March of this year, been going backwards the last month. Weekly water changes. Only change was added a piece of driftwood 3-5" for my clown plecos a few months ago and cholla wood thin long piece for my shrimp. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

PXL_20231208_140653928.MP.jpg

PXL_20231208_140646050.MP.jpg

On 12/8/2023 at 9:22 AM, Eric G said:

I am trying to figure out what is causing this, levels are good. Some of the leaves on my Amazon swords are a nice green, others  brown, holes, stringy and ghostly. They have been thriving since March of this year, been going backwards the last month. Weekly water changes. Only change was added a piece of driftwood 3-5" for my clown plecos a few months ago and cholla wood thin long piece for my shrimp. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

PXL_20231208_140653928.MP.jpg

PXL_20231208_140646050.MP.jpg

A whole tank view will be helpful.  First, you can cut the damaged leaves off.  They are done.  Are you using an all in one fertilizer, or root tabs?  I would suggest adding root tabs if you aren't currently using them.   Cutting the damaged leaves will cause the plant to put its efforts into new growth.

Edited by Tanked
double quote
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 12:09 PM, Eric G said:

I just cut off all the dead leafs, going to do a water change and then put in root tabs. Hopefully overtime i start to see growth

PXL_20231210_170554034.jpg

I think I see a UGF, so I'm not sure how often.  How to properly use root tabs with a UGF is a question I still ask myself.  I would have started with one per sword.  Either way, I'm sure your swords weren't that big in March so you could also bump up the All in One.  It looks like the Anubia is also stressing.  @Seattle_Aquarist may be able to help.

Love the Walker btw.

On 12/10/2023 at 8:13 AM, Eric G said:

How often should I put root tabs in, do I have to be concerned about any spikes in parameters doing it to often? 

I would say tab it every 2-3 months.  If you tab it and you see it start to die off in ~2 months, tab it again.  If you don't see any issues, then give it another month (i.e. 3 months).

when it comes to what you're dealing with it's tough to say because it could be a variety of things.  The crux of it is that the plant isn't happy.  It could be due to nutrients, it could be due to light, but the plant is basically using/consuming old growth to encourage new growth.  The leaves are pretty high and tall in the tank, and I would imagine that the situation in the tank leads to something where the light doesn't cover the full width of the plant, only directly under it.  In that case, a light riser or raising the light via mounting it would be helpful.  This makes sure all of the leaves are getting light and not just certain ones.

On 12/10/2023 at 9:09 AM, Eric G said:

PXL_20231210_170554034.jpg

I believe everything on the surface is low demand, so lifting the light shouldn't lead to many issues.  My only other question would be regarding what your lights settings are, intensity and duration.  What is your liquid fert routine?