algae control

can i get some truth about the mag float to scrape algae? i have really HARD green algae and nothing takes it off the glass other than a razor blade and ive already scratched my glass!  people raved about the melamine sponges but they dont work either without almost breaking the glass as you push as hard as you possibly can!  i dont want to purchase yet another gimmicky thing that doesnt do what it claims to do.  thanks in advance!

I feel your pain.  The mag float is great for most algae.  I love the extra strong magnets, but the floating feature makes the deal. You can get a model with an algae scraper which I have not tried.  I also have that problem with algae and you can wear it down with the mag float but the razor blade is much faster.

While it is customary to use the blade like a paint scraper, I found that using a slicing motion can sometimes get better results.   Being careful to keep the blade flat against the glass, will help you avoid scratches.

my glass is already scratched 😞 and algae is still there. even holding it flat doesnt stop the scratching. i KNOW my aquarium is glass but this is ridiculous. if i use a slicing motion it will scratch terribly; not sure i understand what youre suggesting?

On 12/8/2023 at 11:45 AM, lorrie328 said:

my glass is already scratched 😞 and algae is still there. even holding it flat doesnt stop the scratching. i KNOW my aquarium is glass but this is ridiculous. if i use a slicing motion it will scratch terribly; not sure i understand what youre suggesting?

Holding the entire cutting edge flat against the the glass should prevent scratching.  If you apply uneven pressure, or if one corner of the blade is raised, even a little bit, the opposite corner will dig in and scratch/gouge the glass.    

By slicing, I am suggesting that instead of a strictly vertical up and down motion, using an arching or slicing motion like a knife.  Any horizontal movement requires a much lighter touch.  If you are using the thick single edged blades common to box knives and the like, I would suggest rounding off the corners if you can.  I use both, but my go to scraper uses the thin flexible blades used in the old fashioned safety razors, so that might be why it doesn't work for you.

While I really like the Mag Float, it does struggle a bit with the hard green spot algae.  I have also used the green scrubbing pads, but prefer the white "buffing" version if you can find them.  They are softer and require a little more effort; against the white pad, it is really easy to see the algae.   I hope this helps.

I went for one of the magfloat type scrapers and scratched the glass like the third time I used it (piece of sand got stuck under it). So one time I tested one of the kids' LEGO pieces, one of the flat ones. I don't think I'll ever use anything else. 😅20231212_104939.jpg.059cb0683bddbb74241bc1e54c10e8ec.jpg

• Love 1

Here's a better idea! Use your credit card to scrape said algae, instead of using it to buy a mag float. They are gimmicks IMO.

Hold the card at about a 45 degree angle. Apply pressure to both the down stroke and the up stroke! If I remember correctly the up stroke removed more algae. Just be careful about getting sand/gravel in between the glass and the card, doing so will scratch the glass!!!!! Otherwise the credit card algae scrapper tactic is glass and acrylic safe.

• Like 1

I don't have the scraper attachment, so I have no idea if that is a gimmick. I have my doubts, so I did not order one.  My first algae remover was attached to a long string.  That was a good thing because the magnets weren't very good, and the scraper would sink.  Anything that keeps my arm dry and me off of the ladder.  The only problem that I've experienced:  The felt on the dry side came loose, and I ended up scraping the adhesive off the glass.

• Like 1

i have an ancient magnet type scraper doohickey but for hard to get off green spot algae i use some old blue plasticy scrub pad thing they make for algae. a credit card will also work, and ive never scratched glass with a razor blade, but for those who do they make plastic razor blades, and holder for said plastic razor blade. the plastic blade doesnt work as well as a real one, and dulls quickly, but is safer.

Hey there! I totally get your frustration with stubborn algae. The Mag-Float is a magnetic algae scraper that generally works well for regular maintenance, but its effectiveness can vary depending on the type and thickness of the algae. While it's praised for being gentle on glass surfaces, it might struggle with tough, hard algae.

For those persistent green algae spots, some hobbyists recommend trying a stainless steel algae scraper. It's more durable than a razor blade and may be effective against tough algae without risking scratches. Additionally, make sure your water parameters are in check, and consider adjusting your lighting and nutrient levels to discourage algae growth.

It's always a bit trial and error in the world of aquarium maintenance, but the Mag-Float is a solid tool for everyday use. Just be cautious with very hard algae and consider alternative tools for those tougher spots. Best of luck, and may your tank stay crystal clear! 🌿🐟