Any Bakers Here?

jwcarlson

On 1/23/2024 at 1:27 PM, jwcarlson said:

This is a rough approximation of what I normally do for an overnight loaf.  

Maybe not adding the starter and salt in separate steps/times are the first of several mistakes that I regularly make.

On 1/24/2024 at 8:21 AM, Tanked said:

Maybe not adding the starter and salt in separate steps/times are the first of several mistakes that I regularly make.

I just add them on separate sides of the bowl, usually.  I think there's a lot of extra steps on this particular video... things that I don't necessarily do anymore or only occasionally (autolyze and stretching for instance).  I think the biggest thing is figuring out something that works and that at least gives you a baseline.  I'm sure there's some sourdough purist that thinks this video is garbage, but it's worked fine for me. 😄

On 1/25/2024 at 9:24 AM, jwcarlson said:

I'm sure there's some sourdough purist that thinks this video is garbage, but it's worked fine for me. 😄

The video was one of the too many that I've watched on making bread or starters. In between jokes, they do offer some good information.  The purist probably won't like it because the starter only got a cameo appearance.  It did actually help me get a decent pizza crust this past weekend, so I might have learned something🍕

• Like 1

• 2 months later...