What to do with pothos

wuht

So I started these two pothos cuttings almost two years ago and I've finally filled in the four foot section they're on. Unfortunately my hope of them rooting into the coconut coir themselves never really panned out and I've been having to zip tie them on every few weeks.

I'm wondering if anyone has had success with any other type of trellis or other setup they could recommend that would be less work from me.

PXL_20231202_1847326512.jpg.c4b85cef20a3480afbf169e62dfa7b84.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/2/2023 at 9:54 PM, Nebraska Cornfed said:

Wow those look great. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I had 4 starts and 2 slowly died. The other two staying tiny. I have in a planted aquarium held with airline clip and all leaves emersed.  Do you do any fertilizers or supplement. My other aquatic plants growing well.

I used easy green for the first 7-8 months and after switched to my own mixed ferts using the pps pro method. I remember the first month was very slow just getting roots out but after they have been growing fast and they had a second burst of growth when the roots got long enough for me to put them in the substrate and give them root tabs. I've noticed the roots seem to grow best when in direct current of the filter.

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2023 at 2:10 PM, wuht said:

So I started these two pothos cuttings almost two years ago and I've finally filled in the four foot section they're on. Unfortunately my hope of them rooting into the coconut coir themselves never really panned out and I've been having to zip tie them on every few weeks.

I'm wondering if anyone has had success with any other type of trellis or other setup they could recommend that would be less work from me.

PXL_20231202_1847326512.jpg.c4b85cef20a3480afbf169e62dfa7b84.jpg

Are you moistening / spraying the coir fiber with anything?  If not, I would try that but very judiciously.  Don’t keep it too wet or it will rot and eventually collapse (ask me how I know).  You only need it to grow just enough roots to hang on.  My pothos have grown into the corner of the wall if left too long, so they can easily grow into the coir, but might need a touch of motivation to trigger it.

On 12/7/2023 at 1:44 AM, Odd Duck said:

Are you moistening / spraying the coir fiber with anything?  If not, I would try that but very judiciously.  Don’t keep it too wet or it will rot and eventually collapse (ask me how I know).  You only need it to grow just enough roots to hang on.  My pothos have grown into the corner of the wall if left too long, so they can easily grow into the coir, but might need a touch of motivation to trigger it.

I tried that for a little while but stopped when it started to fall apart, felt sticky, and had some loose fibers start coming off. I think the room it's in may be a little too cold for it to want to root as well.

On 12/7/2023 at 8:15 PM, wuht said:

I tried that for a little while but stopped when it started to fall apart, felt sticky, and had some loose fibers start coming off. I think the room it's in may be a little too cold for it to want to root as well.

Yep, that would not be ideal if your coir is falling apart.  Have you trimmed ends?  That can trigger some rooting.

On 12/7/2023 at 2:18 AM, Odd Duck said:

Yep, that would not be ideal if your coir is falling apart.  Have you trimmed ends?  That can trigger some rooting.

No trimming on it yet, I can give it a try with one of the ends soon when it makes it's next trip up to the ceiling.