a newbies mistakes ?

anewbie

My green wavy (buce) is about to bloom. Expect another picture if the flower is something special or for me to forget the whole thing if it turns out to be a dud (i find buce submerse blooms less exciting). I should probably have planted something a bit more exciting in the buce family but green wavy certainly grows easy enough emersed. Maybe recommend something 😉

dd1.jpg.b7ecd1c01c51ad439b6996ffe3de1bd7.jpg

I'm really happy with how my discus aquarium is doing (even if it is a spare basement aquarium that gets little attention); the plants are growing very well:

(the weird fish to the left of the sponge filter but before the cardinal and bit below is the male a. lineta and the female is near the bottom in front of the leaf). I discus have really settled in and behaving very calmly as a group with only very minor bickering among themselves (remember these are wild caught). The plant with slight purple colouring growing in front and behind the leaf is a a. cripus (actually two plants). In person it is a very nice plant with lots of structure in the leaf. 

Not sure why this aquarium has such a high reflective index (to the eye the reflection isn't really visible); one of these days i'll order a mirror less thingy and polarizer but it is super low on my list of things to do; mostly because a bit unsure which system to use - either a newer body on one i have (fuji or olympus) or bite the bullet and get a sony. Pity i can't put a polarizer on my phone camera as ultra wides are a bit pricey.

dd3.jpg.4233ddbd6e9e7030159d615f6283ed89.jpgdd2.jpg.452107986b700338f0e46fb01224aa99.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 9:12 PM, anewbie said:

I have a piece of drift wood next to the glass; can't remember if i put it there or the fishes pushed it there; but either way this little guy (and it is always this one) hides behind it next to the glass several times a day 7 days a week; basically he'll have a rough day of playing and then when it is time for a nap he'll go there and rest. Guess no one can see him on the other side 😉 Alas i disturbed him when i took the picture so he moved a bit to the front - normally he lies flat so his top is below the edge of the drift-wood. This was sold as a yoyo several years ago but it is much lighter than the other 3 - either a different catch location or perhaps one of the many similar species. I'm pretty sure it is a he as the females as adults tend to be a bit wider girth; i have at least one large bossy female.

eek.jpg.8542080c799dbb3d6ef56c510bd4f2b5.jpg

Hey! Just wanted to say that especially since this is a male and I suspect you are referring to the light colors, This is something yoyos do called "Graying Out." This is something they do to show submission or when they are stressed. From my experience with my yoyos is my male will grey out a couple times throughout the day especially when I mess with the tank at all. My male is also usually more lazy and tends to sleep far more often than my females.

• Like 1

Some bored clown loaches asking me to join them:

bored.jpg.f83f3127c372f7d2f8ba524bd1a897fe.jpg

To put things into perspective this aquarium is 10ft long and 4 feet wide; my desk is 3 feet away and i'm sitting at my desk typing when they showed up....

• Love 2

Updated picture of my discus aquarium - approx 1 month has passed since it and the previous picture when i put on a black background. The biggest difference is the a. ciripus has grown about 7 inches higher and have gotten a deeper red/purple colouring:

discus_update.jpg.447532c318563c947e5e5759c0f48385.jpg

Couple of new pictures:

lip_1.jpg.8bc1f1a775f0faf7ea41777433618662.jpg

And the transition of my 10:

(old picture)

nn1.jpg.de77b3f289f72dd9707d298f56fadce8.jpg

to:

(today):
10_2.jpg.037298dc0a10b56559b3ab83000fb2b1.jpg10_1.jpg.ba192487bbb3068a4d047e6df8b15d95.jpg

I did not run out and buy pearl weed - the tank has had pearl weed in it for 3 years BUT my last mystery snail died (or last one in that aquarium) and the pearl weed took off like a weed and in doing so it drowned out the hornworth (which is sitll in the tank). Sooner or later i'll fish out a mystery snail and add it to the aquarium and well we shall see what happens then !