Hi from Maine. Help needed FX 4 + tank maintenance

AndreaL

Hi all

My husband, Rick, passed away unexpectedly last week. He loved this community and shopped the CoOp pretty frequently. He had a 75 gallon tank with a big filter. I don't know anything about how to manage the tank. He did tell me how to feed them, but that's all I know. I was wondering if anyone would be up for giving my father in law and I some instruction so we can keep this tank going...   I'll attach pics of the tank and filter. He has 2 blood parrots, danios, glow tetras, gourami, snails, and I'm sure I'm missing a couple things. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

20231116_103411.jpg

20231116_102936.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

@AndreaL, I'm so, so, so, sorry for your loss, that must absolutely suck, I cannot imagine what that is like, my condolences to you. But welcome to the forum all the same! I hope you can find the help you need from every wonderful person here! I am a fairly new keeper as well (having approx a year or two of experience). That's a beautiful tank although! 🙂

Edited by Kaiju

I'm very sorry for your loss, my condolences.

I would recommend looking on youtube for a few videos as I think it's much easier to see the maintenance visually then any other method for this situation.

Essentially.

1.  Turn off the power.
2.  Turn off the flow of water from the tank
3.  Disconnect the pipes
4.  Clean the things out using tank water (in a bucket)
5.  Install all of the trays back into the filter
6.  Check the impeller
7.  attach the tubing back to the filter.
8.  Plug in the power back and verify no leaks.

I know this video says FX6. it's the same filter, but the fx6 is slightly larger and has 1 more tray. the method is the same.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

My condolences, much respect to you on keeping his tank up and running.

You need to figure out how he did water changes and does that work for you. As a general rule, people tend to skip water changes if it is difficult to do.  Just changing 25% of the water once a week will help keep the tank clean and the fish healthy. 

The Python water change system is quite popular, maybe you already have one. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Dear @AndreaL, I felt so sad reading you had lost your mate.  It is very sweet you want to keep your husband's tank running.  I had an idea that may make your life easier regarding filtration at least.  Canister filters can be a pain (cleaning and then getting it ready to run again, dealing with the water lines, etc.).  An alternate easy method of filtration would be to use sponge filters.  Here is a link that may be helpful, so that you can learn about them, if interested: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/pages/help-center#/collection/4946/article/24556

Sponge filters require much less maintenance.  If you go to this type of filtration, you will also need some other supplies - you can get the info from the videos or let me know and I can tell you.  If you go the sponge filter route, I would suggest placing them in the tank while keeping the canister filter running for a month, so that the sponges can form colonies of the helpful bacteria that break down tank waste.

My best to you,

Andy