What do you do when you are out of the fish-room and what hobbies do you have?

I haven't seen this question around so I'd like to ask. 

I personally like to do (but not limited to) these things: Fishkeeping obviously, Anime binging, practicing guitar (Wanting to learn bass and drums), Art, read graphic novels and manga, playing video games, listening to rock and punk music, and hanging out with friends and family. 

I'm curious to see what everyone else does, probably something more normal than me lmao.

Edited by Kaiju

I personally think that most fish keepers have similar hobbies to other fish keepers. If you watch some of the other fishtubers out there you might find other hobbies you enjoy such as gardening, keeping reptiles or tinkering.

As for myself I also play the guitar granted I started learning a year ago so I'm just reaching that point where I may be able to learn a song, put together warhammer figures, play video games, workout, participate in paddling dragonboats and nowadays travel when possible. 

I tend to be the outlier in the world of keeping fish, everyone has always been shocked that is a a hobby! Bear in mind i'm a 6'5 bearded biker with tattoos!

I love cars and motorcycles and drag raced both for years, Now currently have a stretched out big wheel harley bagger, a lifted sierra pickup, a old k5 blazer project, and a built twin turbo ram truck. also enjoy hunting and am obsessed with long range shooting, am a welder now as a hobby(used to be the career) and i Drive very large tow trucks for a living! 

I was in a very high stress career most of my younger years and the fish were always a way for me to come home and just loose the stress and anger of the day and relax, theres just something about watching them do their thing that relaxes me! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I read LOTS!  A little of everything.  I am slightly addicted to YouTube but all kinds of different things, not just a few.  We play paintball most every weekend that it isn’t too hot, too cold, or raining.  We jetski when it’s too hot for paintball but not nearly as often as we used to when we were younger.  We also ride 4 wheelers (not 4x4, racing style but we don’t officially race 😆).  I’ve done loads of different hobbies over my life.  I used to do a big variety of them, but not as much anymore.

Some still come in useful sometimes - I designed and sewed up multi-layer cloth masks when we couldn’t even get surgical masks during COVID.  Then modified the design to fit over the N-95’s that have vents in them so we wouldn’t be risking anybody else if we were contagious. I used some jewelry making tools to make veggie skewers for plecos that hook on the lid so I don’t have to stick my whole arm in the tank to retrieve the skewers.

I’ve assisted the hubby with various engine and other mechanical assembly enough times that I’m pretty sure I could do an assembly myself as long as I had the right Chilton’s.  The middle knuckle on my right hand will never be the same after mashing it replacing the stock rear end on our 1969 Dodge Coronet with a Dana.  I know how to clearance bearing journals, use a torque wrench properly - one click, not 2, clearance rings, use a piston ring compressor, find top dead center, 18436572, mix BONDO, use a cheese grater, spray paint, block sand, color sand, wet sand, etc, etc, etc.

I don’t even remember how many coats this thing got and I never did get around to doing the wet sanding.  But I sanded for HOURS and HOURS doing prep.  Ignore the scruffiness, this was shortly after completing most of it.  I need to take a finished photo but we’re always at the lake when it’s out plus I never got that wet sand done.  😝  The stupid nose piece doesn’t fit right now due to layers of paint so I still need to work on it.  🤷🏻‍♀️ It’s got scratches now so that’s a bit demotivating on final finishing.  A buddy managed to put a gouge in it the first time we took it out.  We have the registration sticker over the gouge now.

IMG_0674.jpeg

IMG_0677.jpeg

IMG_0671.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
Fix typos.
  • Love 1