Water parameters help

Fishkeeper1010

Hi everyone, I have a five gallon aquarium that’s been running for 2.5 years now. I cycled it in the first month then after that I’ve only kept a betta as well as shrimps and snails. After he unfortunately passed away, I got a honey gourami as well as a trio of guppies for this tank, they have been in living in the tank for 2 months now and are doing good. I didn’t thought about water testing kits before but I got some recently and every time I test it, there was no nitrates in the water (no ammonia or nitrite as well) I though a healthy tank should have some nitrates in it though. I do have Java ferns and hornwort in the tank and it’s run by a very dim desk lamp. I don’t dose fertilisers. Is it normal to have no nitrates or Should I start dosing any ferts? Thank you☺️ 

4E96D47A-7428-4262-A6BF-157B357DAAF8.jpeg

On 11/10/2023 at 5:16 PM, Fishkeeper1010 said:

I didn’t thought about water testing kits before but I got some recently and every time I test it, there was no nitrates in the water (no ammonia or nitrite as well) I though a healthy tank should have some nitrates in it though. I do have Java ferns and hornwort in the tank and it’s run by a very dim desk lamp. I don’t dose fertilisers. Is it normal to have no nitrates or Should I start dosing any ferts?

That's awesome news.  Your bioload will go up over time with that specific floating plant and it's ability to grow really quickly.  The tank is setup really well for success!  I would find an all-in-one fert and dose that once a month.  You won't need root tabs or anything else, just the liquid fert weekly.  Once the ferns get a bit more grown in you might have a secondary dosing of iron or potassium, just once a week.  For now, for the time being, just an all-in-one. 🙂

On 11/10/2023 at 8:49 PM, Fishkeeper1010 said:

Thank you for replying, my light is really dim so the hornwort neither grew or died. It looks green but no growth. I will be getting a nano light which is 6w. Is that enough for a five gallon. Also my tank is on the overstocked side and somehow still no nitrates. 

You are keeping low light plants so your nano light will likely be more than enough.  

I would argue that four fish, some shrimp, snails, healthy plants, and no nitrates is not overstocked.  For now at least, you have a balanced tank.  Congratulations!

Hi, thanks for replying! Even though the tank is balanced, I feel like the plants are not doing so well. The hornwort doesn’t look very healthy. I have guppies so ideally I wanted to have a whole tank full of plants which is not happening right now.😅

Edited by Fishkeeper1010

On 11/13/2023 at 4:32 PM, Fishkeeper1010 said:

Hi, thanks for replying! Even though the tank is balanced, I feel like the plants are not doing so well. The hornwort doesn’t look very healthy. I have guppies so ideally I wanted to have a whole tank full of plants which is not happening right now.😅

I think your new light will be key. What make/model did you get? When does it arrive?