Oase biomaster Thermo 350 problems

Colu

Am having problems with flow on my oase biomaster Thermo it has drop to a trickle I have clean the prefilter that didn't help I have clean the impeller and filter pads that did help and I have clean the pipes still no improvement in flow looking for suggestion just in case am missing something if I remember rightly have these filter hopefully they can chip in with some suggestions@Danielle77 @gjcarew 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 2:02 PM, Danielle77 said:

@Colu is it one that has the flow control on it? Maybe it got moved. Is it making any noise?

On 11/9/2023 at 2:02 PM, Danielle77 said:

@Colu is it one that has the flow control on it? Maybe it got moved. Is it making any noise?

Just checked both intake and outtake set on  maximum no noise 

Edited by Colu

On 11/9/2023 at 3:48 PM, Danielle77 said:

@Colu I'd push prime button to force some water out a few times in case it's clogged somewhere. Other than that you have done everything I would have. May be time to notify Oase to help troubleshoot problem. If I think of anything else I'll let you know. 

I have tried that the only other thing I can think of is a problem with motor it's not make any odd noise thanks for your help 

Edited by Colu

On 11/9/2023 at 4:01 PM, MattyM said:

What if you leave the sponges off of the prefilter? 

Prefilter only effects the flow when they need cleaning I have clean them so they shouldn't be effecting the flow I have tried it with half of  the prefilter sponges to see if that had any effect the flow stayed the same 

Edited by Colu

Hmmm... Googling I found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Aquariums/comments/qdca2y/getting_really_low_flow_rate_on_my_oase_biomaster/

If that doesn't help, the only things I can think of to try are: 

1. Gently shake it to see if there's any trapped air
  2. Take all the trays out and run it completely bare.
  3. Make sure the distance from the tank and filter are within the filter's limits, so you're not trying to push higher than the pump is rated for.
  4. Remove the output hose from the connector that hangs over the tank, and see if you get full flow. 

And lastly, contacting the manufacturer. Good luck - I have the 600 version of this filter and would love to know if you figure it out! 

• Thanks 1

I've had it happen with an old magnet in an impeller.  If the impeller doesn't "seat" all the way into the pump cavity you could see some issues.  I would just inspect the impeller and shaft for any sort of issues.  Add some silicone grease when you do it, if possible.  @Colu

Let us know if you ever figure out the puzzle!

Edit:
It shouldn't be possible to clock it at a weird angle (limiting flow), but this is another thing to check is working properly.  Should be same design on most or all of the Oase's.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2023 at 10:05 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I've had it happen with an old magnet in an impeller.  If the impeller doesn't "seat" all the way into the pump cavity you could see some issues.  I would just inspect the impeller and shaft for any sort of issues.  Add some silicone grease when you do it, if possible.  @Colu

Let us know if you ever figure out the puzzle!

Edit:
It shouldn't be possible to clock it at a weird angle (limiting flow), but this is another thing to check is working properly.  Should be same design on most or all of the Oase's.

I have inspected the impeller and it looks fine goes back in no wobble with the impeller in place and it doesn't lock back in place if you have it clocked at weird angle 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2023 at 12:42 AM, Pepere said:

There are three options.

1.) The impeller isnt spinning.

2.) there is a blockage somewhere.

3.) the impeller has a bypass issue, ie the part that snaps over the impeller on some models is not installed correctly and water is just being splashed around…

1 and 2 are most likely, 3 is mostly a zebra.

Have you tried briefly plugging the plug in with the motor head off to see if the impeller spins? And by briefly I mean less than a second…

If it spins and the vanes arent worn out, there is a blockage somewhere.

somewhat amusing story… I service my canister filters monthly, and every three months I scrub out all hoses and spray bar.   

upon reassemble I installed the spraybar backward….  I had no flow.   I hooked the plugged end up to the hose….

The impeller is working the flow is only at about  20% of what it should be i have cleaned the prefilter sponges the all filter pads in the trays cleaned the impeller cleaned the hoses with a pipe cleaner still no difference in flow am at a bit of a loss at the moment 

Edited by Colu

On 11/10/2023 at 1:23 AM, Pepere said:

Is there a flapper valve in the motor head either on inlet or outlet side?  Have you checked the channels in and out of the pump head for any obstructions?

the Fluval  207 has a flapper valve on the inlet side.  Something impinging on that could impose head loss.

I have taken it apart and clean and check everything three times the flapper valves aren't stuck  no obstruction nothing blocking inlet or outlet side  

@Colu just a sidenote while you're working on this....

Many have reported plastic melting when the pumps slow down or the power to the pump fails. That means the canister with heater is just a heater and that melts the thing.

I've seen posts from all things to the pump down to cleaning the hosing fixing things. All I can really recommend is taking it to the sink and giving it a deep clean and see if that helps at all.

If they have a replacement impeller, start there. Something like the lid for the pump not sealing properly could slow the flow as there's not enough pressure, but it seems like all of that is fine. It's really tough to test for "is the magnet strong enough still" without having one to swap out.

Fingers crossed for you. Hopefully someone can chime in.

On 11/10/2023 at 10:18 AM, Pepere said:

Is reduced flow something that occurred gradually, or noticed as a sudden change?

Sudden change I think it's the motor that's the problem am going to replace the impeller I have a spare one if that doesn't work and going to get in touch with oase @nabokovfan87

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 11:11 AM, Pepere said:

impeller swap would certainly be the next logical step.  Given it is the only moving part in the whole setup…

Just swapped out the impeller no change in flow must be an issue with the motor what's odd if it were the Motor I would have expected more noise from it 

• Sad 1

On 11/10/2023 at 12:49 PM, Pepere said:

Basically the only thing in the pump head is a coil and iro lamination core usually bedded in epoxy…

any hint of bulging in the impeller well, possibly inducing drag on the impeller, or does it spin freely?

the water valves are fully opening and closing too?

Everything you mentioned is fine it's got me stumped this one 

• Sad 1

On 11/9/2023 at 6:42 PM, Pepere said:

I service my canister filters monthly, and every three months I scrub out all hoses and spray bar.  

Sorry to take this slightly off topic, but as a new canister user I am just curious what you use for this 🙂

On 11/10/2023 at 9:07 PM, MrWestCoast said:

The canister might be sucking in air and creating an air pocket right where the motor meets the surface of the water in the canister. Do you have some silicone grease or plumber's tape? Try greasing the main gasket or sealing the seam of the motor/canister with plumber's tape.

I use  aqua-one silicone grease I grease every 3 months I have contacted oase they think it's a problem with the head and they are going to replace it 

On 11/10/2023 at 7:46 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

@Coluw a good test I saw mentioned on Reddit. Can you remove all media and sponge and then see if the flow improves back to normal?

If you already did this my apologies.

I see a lot of issues reported with having to redo pipework due to air leaks, heater causing damage and permanent failures, etc.

I have tried this after i contracted the seller it didn't have any effect on the flow

• Sad 1

On 11/11/2023 at 6:34 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

That's unfortunate. Thankfully they are taking care of you. Keep us posted!

Well I got replacement filter head that didn't resolve the issue I think I have finally found the causes the I think flow valve is broken on the outtake pipe it's set to full i think on the in  side it's stuck on low I have replacement coming so in the next couple of days helpful that will resolve the issue for good 

Edited by Colu
Typo
  • Thanks 1

I replaced the intake and outtake pipes that has finally resolved the issue after speaking to an oase dealer he said it a design fault on the flow valve that causes them to fail as it's a closed unit you can't tell and the adjustment valve feels the same when altering it apparently it's a common fault when I have looked on line or spoken to other people I haven't found any mention of this fault 

• Thanks 2