goat feben liquid: safe, cheaper for fish?

HelplessNewbie

On 11/6/2023 at 9:49 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

@Colu

I’m just thinking why the hell you’d put goat médecine in an aquarium when there’s some perfectly good fish meds around. 😶 

I calculated the powder Panacur-X or similar dog dewormers cost $1.75 per 1g application (222 mg/g concentration), while this liquid goat dewormer (also fenben) costs $0.58 per application (2ml at 125mg/ml concentration). The powder is 3x cost of the liquid, for the same efficacy. That is, if the liquid is safe for fish.

Also, I want to consider using liquid since the powder requires further grinding and a lot of shaking in a small amount of water prior to use, else the powder just stays like a weird foam on the water surface.

On 11/6/2023 at 4:03 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

I calculated the powder Panacur-X or similar dog dewormers cost $1.75 per 1g application (222 mg/g concentration), while this liquid goat dewormer (also fenben) costs $0.58 per application (2ml at 125mg/ml concentration). The powder is 3x cost of the liquid, for the same efficacy. That is, if the liquid is safe for fish.

Also, I want to consider using liquid since the powder requires further grinding and a lot of shaking in a small amount of water prior to use, else the powder just stays like a weird foam on the water surface.

From what I can see the only ingredient is fenbendazole so that should be fine to use just remember it's extremely toxic to shrimp and snails 

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

I have used it, but I never got to finish testing, which is quite involved. I was trying to find a great dosage that would work, and not kill snails/shrimp. However I didn't get far enough to really be able to recommend anything to the public. But I was having some success with it.

On 11/6/2023 at 4:35 PM, Cory said:

I have used it, but I never got to finish testing, which is quite involved. I was trying to find a great dosage that would work, and not kill snails/shrimp. However I didn't get far enough to really be able to recommend anything to the public. But I was having some success with it.

Thank you, Cory. Good to know you have tried it!

I don't have an abundance of inverts, so I am not going to chance it with them in our display tanks.

I have some ricefish and pygmy cory I will proactively treat with the goat fenben while in qt.