Passive breeding in community tank

Opie

Can you say more about this? What’s your temperature? Water parameters? Flow? Filtration? Vision for the whole thing?

Livebearers will spawn “passively.” Nonstop.

Blue-eyed Rainbowfish are lovely, lively nano species that may spawn in surface plants

Check this out…

I have high PH out of tap, but it settles just below 7. I have higher KH and buffer capacity. I am starting with a aqua clear 110 and a sponge filter(likely with a power head).

I am going to use a few pieces of large drift wood and larger river stone on top of gravel substrate. Attempt to carpet with dwarf hair grass, and montecarlo. 

On 11/5/2023 at 2:55 PM, Opie said:

I have high PH out of tap, but it settles just below 7. I have higher KH and buffer capacity. I am starting with a aqua clear 110 and a sponge filter(likely with a power head).

Welcome to the forums!  Livebearers is the easy one, but it's hard to say if you want to have *that many* fry.

Corydoras are always fun to colony breed.  Given your water at that PH (assuming KH keeps it stable around there), then I would do things like cypranidae fish.  White clouds, celestial pearl danios, rasboras, barbs, etc.  Odessa barbs might be really cool with some of the other fish mentioned.  You can also go the route of something like a rock pile and have hillstream species, borneo loaches, etc.

Another really easy one might be a pair or trio of plecos.

• Like 1

My corydoras bred a lot in a heavily planted 125. I started out with 2, and when I emptied out the tank after a few years, I had about 30 or so.  No other fish I kept made it other than corys, but theoretically, any fish that will breed in your water type could work. You just need ample places for the fry to hide.

On 11/5/2023 at 6:29 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Odessa barbs might be really cool with some of the other fish mentioned. 

Odessa barbs will absolutely gobble down every egg or fry that will even inhabit the tank. They are lightening fast and are continuously on the prowl like a pack of wolves for a snack. They don't bother peaceful community fish in any way that I have ever seen and are a great fish to keep (love Odessas), but I would plan on nothing being born in a tank making it more than a day if you have them in there.

• Like 1