What kind of plants are these?

campingdude84

The first one is a type of fern.  I think in the store it's called El Nino fern. It's looks like Bolbitis heteroclita that may or may not be aquatic.  It's one of those plants I keep buying to try it out because I enjoy the look of it when it does grow.  It's an epiphyte plant and you don't want to bury the rhizome when putting it in the tank. (roots are fine, but not the rhizome).  Normally you would tie it or glue it to the hardscape in some way.

CARE GUIDELINES:

Temperature:  68° - 80° F (20° - 26° C)
    pH:  6.0 - 7.5
    Lighting:  Low to moderate
    Origin:  Cultivated in US nurseries, but indigenous to Southeast Asia
    Aquarium placement:  Middle to background
    Care:  Easy

The second one looks like hygrophila difformis, also called water wisteria.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 3

I agree with @nabokovfan87 but I’d like to expand, because Petsmart sold these el nino ferns (which are also called java ferns to confuse people even more).

el nino ferns are very similar to epiphyte ferns in that they need water running through their soil to thrive. I have a maiden hair fern growing out of my tank and people long thought this fern was an impossible house plant. Because of that very specific requirement. If they don’t get it they will melt, if they do get it they need little else and will thrive.

My maidenhair is s bit temperamental and melted because it got TOO MUCH sun. 😅 but she is coming back in force.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 10:27 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

I agree with @nabokovfan87 but I’d like to expand, because Petsmart sold these el nino ferns (which are also called java ferns to confuse people even more).

el nino ferns are very similar to epiphyte ferns in that they need water running through their soil to thrive. I have a maiden hair fern growing out of my tank and people long thought this fern was an impossible house plant. Because of that very specific requirement. If they don’t get it they will melt, if they do get it they need little else and will thrive.

My maidenhair is s bit temperamental and melted because it got TOO MUCH sun. 😅 but she is coming back in force.

I had a difficult time following this response. Can you clarify?

El nino ferns can be temperamental if they don’t have water running through their roots. I often steered people away from them for that reason. 

It needs to be a stream, like having a powerhead pointed at the ground. I believe they are actually emergent plants that experience near constant flooding events because they grow on the streams edge in the riparian zone in Indonesia. I may have confused the point further, but just know that compared to other java ferns this species is quite temperamental.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 10:37 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

El nino ferns can be temperamental if they don’t have water running through their roots. I often steered people away from them for that reason. 

It needs to be a stream, like having a powerhead pointed at the ground. I believe they are actually emergent plants that experience near constant flooding events because they grow on the streams edge in the riparian zone in Indonesia. I may have confused the point further, but just know that compared to other java ferns this species is quite temperamental.

Gotcha. Well, I am going to do the best I can, which is to attach it to the drift wood in the lower light section of the tank so the rhizome is not buried in the sediment.

So, I can let this plant float?

IMG_7118.jpeg

On 10/25/2023 at 10:40 AM, campingdude84 said:

Gotcha. Well, I am going to do the best I can, which is to attach it to the drift wood in the lower light section of the tank so the rhizome is not buried in the sediment.

IMG_7118.jpeg

On 10/25/2023 at 1:20 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

The first one is a type of fern.  I think in the store it's called El Nino fern. It's looks like Bolbitis heteroclita that may or may not be aquatic.  It's one of those plants I keep buying to try it out because I enjoy the look of it when it does grow.  It's an epiphyte plant and you don't want to bury the rhizome when putting it in the tank. (roots are fine, but not the rhizome).  Normally you would tie it or glue it to the hardscape in some way.

The second one looks like hygrophila difformis, also called water wisteria.

IMG_7118.jpeg