Brine shrimp for community tank

campingdude84

I’ve got guppies, endlers, corys, Pygmy cats, rasboras, and tetras.

my tank is 29 gallons.

Is one of the Ziss brine shrimp breeders overkill?

I see the directions say to use two tablespoons of eggs. That seems like it would end up being too many shrimp for my tank.

how long will the brine shrimp stay alive in the breeder?

suggestions about brine shrimp?

IMG_7106.png

I would say that is too much. There are much easier ways how to hatch brine shrimp for small amount, and that should work for you. What people do I guess is hatch a full blender, feed a little and freeze the rest to feed later on. The bbs looses nutritional value within 12 hours after hatching, and wont last that much in new water and neither in the hatching water, if it is too crowded and you turn off the aeration. I use this method and I start in the morning when my lights are on, like 10-12 am, and next day 8 am, I have 80% hatched. I just stir it couple times during the day, but that is all. I also do not use decapsulated, so it is a bit more work to pick out the hatched bbs from the eggs, but not too much. I do this every three days or so, no constant light, no aeration that drives me crazy at night, no spillage...

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 10:51 PM, campingdude84 said:

I’ve got guppies, endlers, corys, Pygmy cats, rasboras, and tetras.

my tank is 29 gallons.

Is one of the Ziss brine shrimp breeders overkill?

I see the directions say to use two tablespoons of eggs. That seems like it would end up being too many shrimp for my tank.

ive got a 20high, maybe 20platies and many many cories after a breeding project. I personally never hatch more then a teaspoon of BBS and even that is a bit overkill for my tank.

On 10/23/2023 at 10:51 PM, campingdude84 said:

suggestions about brine shrimp?

I use easy BBS salt for 36hours at 80degress, so far that is the best hatch rate i have found for myself.

• Like 1

I use frozen baby brine for my CPDs. I get the 36-pack mini-cubes from San Francisco Bay and cut each cube into quarters, defrost one quarter at a time, and it still floods my ten-gallon tank with baby brine. More than enough for my CPDs to chow down on.

On a somewhat related note, it would be interesting to know how the fish pick which baby brine shrimp to eat. They'll swim past a bunch to pick one out of the pack. Why that one? I'm sure they have a reason, but I have no clue what it is. They all look the same to me. It's fun to watch them. They'll identify one a few inches or more away, zoom to it, gulp it down, and swim right past lots of others. "That's the one for me!" It's fun to watch, but confusing as to why they choose one over another. They don't just hoover up any in the way, they get very specific and hunter-like in picking out the "best" shrimp, even competing and racing one another to the chosen shrimp.

I have been feeding flake food to the tank for nearly 4 years now. The fish go nuts for it, but it always seems to dirty the tank.

sometimes I do blood worms. Some of the fish are too small to eat the worms.

I was thinking of brine shrimp to help keep the tank from having so much waste.

On 10/24/2023 at 10:41 AM, campingdude84 said:

I have been feeding flake food to the tank for nearly 4 years now. The fish go nuts for it, but it always seems to dirty the tank..

That shouldn't be happening.  I suspect you have very low quality flakes, or you're feeding too much.

• Like 1