experiences with bulk reef supply?

Elyse

Could everyone tell me their experiences buying from Bulk Reef Supply online? They are one of the only places I've found that have the light I want in stock from aquaillumination but have never bought from them before. I don't want to buy such an expensive product for them to rip me off...

BRS has been around since practically the start of the internet. They are as the name suggests a bulk supplier. 

I order through them for all my sump needs and for random things here and there. They are fast and reliable. 

Also if you are in the market for an AI prime, have you checked out Kessil’s freshwater line? Imo they are one of the best looking lights out there. 

On 10/14/2023 at 11:14 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

You could use mounting brackets off the back of the tank or DIY a frame to hang them.

Where did you buy your week aqua lights online? I can find the lights but can't seem to find the mounting system...

Week Aqua Aquarium Light Suspension System Light Stand 304 Stainless Steel Tank Aquarium Hanger Bracket for Light L180

this is the mount I think would work

On 10/14/2023 at 12:52 PM, Elyse said:

Where did you buy your week aqua lights online? I can find the lights but can't seem to find the mounting system...

Week Aqua Aquarium Light Suspension System Light Stand 304 Stainless Steel Tank Aquarium Hanger Bracket for Light L180

this is the mount I think would work

Aqua Rocks Colorado

On 10/14/2023 at 3:06 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Aqua Rocks Colorado

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bot-back-of-tank-light-mount-reefbreeders.html?queryID=681bec44247e9fbe68277f5e07707759&objectID=13160&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products

I found these mounting arms on bulk reef supply but may just buy the week aqua p 600 that comes with the brackets and just set them in a row on top of the tank...if I don't like how it looks I can always go back and find a fancier mounting system...thank you!

On 10/14/2023 at 1:23 PM, Elyse said:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bot-back-of-tank-light-mount-reefbreeders.html?queryID=681bec44247e9fbe68277f5e07707759&objectID=13160&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products

I found these mounting arms on bulk reef supply but may just buy the week aqua p 600 that comes with the brackets and just set them in a row on top of the tank...if I don't like how it looks I can always go back and find a fancier mounting system...thank you!

I bought those as well and wish I had saved the money. The black steel pipe was so easy and way cheaper. Cost around 70 bucks plus paint.

On 10/14/2023 at 3:40 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I bought those as well and wish I had saved the money. The black steel pipe was so easy and way cheaper. Cost around 70 bucks plus paint.

This is gonna sound silly, but could you tell me exactly what supplies you bought to make your DIY light mount? I am not very handy but my dad will be in town in a couple weeks and could help me...(:

On 10/14/2023 at 1:51 PM, Elyse said:

This is gonna sound silly, but could you tell me exactly what supplies you bought to make your DIY light mount? I am not very handy but my dad will be in town in a couple weeks and could help me...(:

I assure you, I have zero handy skills and this was easy. My tank is 5.8 feet long and about 4 feet high. The black steel pipe comes in several precut lengths. You will need 2 90 degree angles and 3 T splitters. Then just see what length pipe they offer. I needed 6 pipes (I think the were 32 or 34 inches). You will need 4x5 inch pipes for the feet. You just hand screw them in and paint it if you want.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 4:42 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I assure you, I have zero handy skills and this was easy. My tank is 5.8 feet long and about 4 feet high. The black steel pipe comes in several precut lengths. You will need 2 90 degree angles and 3 T splitters. Then just see what length pipe they offer. I needed 6 pipes (I think the were 32 or 34 inches). You will need 4x5 inch pipes for the feet. You just hand screw them in and paint it if you want.

Thank you! Did the week aqua lights come with the hanging wire or do you have to buy those separately?

On 10/14/2023 at 2:51 PM, Elyse said:

Thank you! Did the week aqua lights come with the hanging wire or do you have to buy those separately?

Yes and no. When I first bought them, they didnt when they should have. I say this because I bought a third and it came directly from the factory to my house. It contained the hanging kit. I suspect they remove the kit and then sell it separate. Sucks, but it is what it is.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/14/2023 at 5:47 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Yes and no. When I first bought them, they didnt when they should have. I say this because I bought a third and it came directly from the factory to my house. It contained the hanging kit. I suspect they remove the kit and then sell it separate. Sucks, but it is what it is.

I see on your tank you have 3, p600 lights in a row...it's cheaper if I buy 2 p900 and have them each cover half the tank...do you think that will seriously affect the way the light looks or should I bite the bullet and buy three

On 10/14/2023 at 5:11 PM, Elyse said:

I see on your tank you have 3, p600 lights in a row...it's cheaper if I buy 2 p900 and have them each cover half the tank...do you think that will seriously affect the way the light looks or should I bite the bullet and buy three

Yeah, originally I thought 2 was enough but it left shaded areas. So I bought one more. Wish I had gone 2 900’s.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2023 at 7:13 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Yeah, originally I thought 2 was enough but it left shaded areas. So I bought one more. Wish I had gone 2 900’s.

Hey, I have my new week aqua lights finally set up and running on my 125 gallon aquarium. What settings do you suggest? I'm used to the fluval settings...

On 10/29/2023 at 5:41 PM, Elyse said:

Hey, I have my new week aqua lights finally set up and running on my 125 gallon aquarium. What settings do you suggest? I'm used to the fluval settings...

Adjust the dial’s until you like what you see then adjust the intensity to your liking. I’m not home right now but I’ll post my settings in about 3 hours when I get home. I’m running near even on all channels and 20%UV. You may not like my settings. I like the higher Kelvin blues.

I have been buying from Bulk Reef Supply for probably close to 20 years since I had my reef tanks. They have great customer service, great prices, great quality products and just like the co-op, they get orders packed and sent out quickly. I don't think that I have ever had an order take more than two days to get to me. 

On 10/14/2023 at 10:07 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Is there a reason you are set on this particular light? The reason I ask is the spectrum on the prime is going to leave you an over yellow washed out look on the fish and plants. With high yellows, you loose contrast.

IMG_0551.jpeg.e0a79bdf098ec2886243b4c86bda6b16.jpeg
You want the spectrum to look like this.

IMG_0552.jpeg.6f08d31d47074c25c594b194218509e2.jpeg

I'm not going to disagree or agree; but i have the ai prime blade - which is not quite the same though it is not exactly what you recommend either and i found it much better visibly with the default setting than either the wrgb2 or plant 3.0 or for that matter even the onf - i find it much more neutral both in person and from photos i've taken. 

One light i have not tried is the wrgb2 pro (which add white led) but it is not cost effective compared to the blade. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2023 at 5:41 PM, Elyse said:

Sorry, I completely passed out 😆. I used these settings for my competition shot and you may not like it. It’s a bit more natural than I prefer. I’ve been to lazy recently to readjust.

IMG_0586.jpeg