Glowlight tetra breeding

TheSwissAquarist

Hi all, if you’ve been following my journal you’ll have noticed that I’ve recently attempted to breed neon & glowlight tetras. However, I was unsuccessful in the first attempt, before the arrival of a bag of peat from my local gardening store. 😈
After I added a light dusting of peat to the bottom of the tank; I added a heater, craft mesh, and some live terrestrial moss collected from the woods near my house.

I added a trio of 1M 2F (as far as I could tell) to the tank, and the morning after they spawned! I'd be really grateful if an experienced tetra breeder could chime in on how to feed them, seeing as I’m a complete newbie at this. 😅

IMG_3924.jpeg

IMG_3922.jpeg

IMG_3909.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 10/11/2023 at 2:41 PM, Ben P. said:

I'm sure there's a whole lot of different ways and everyone will give you a different option here, with really small fry I use sera micron and microworms.  I don't know how my rainbow fry size compares though

I’ve got Sera micron, and my mum won’t allow any worm cultures into the house… I think that I may also try infusoria. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2023 at 1:57 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Has anyone got experience with preventing fungus in tetra eggs? 

in the ACO member talk on cories the speaker mentioned using Alder Cones to prevent egg fungus, the i expect the alder cone tannins would be beneficial to a naturally blackwater fish like glowlight tetras, and would serve the same anti-fungal effect.

On 11/9/2023 at 3:58 PM, GoofyGarra said:

in the ACO member talk on cories the speaker mentioned using Alder Cones to prevent egg fungus, the i expect the alder cone tannins would be beneficial to a naturally blackwater fish like glowlight tetras, and would serve the same anti-fungal effect.

I’d already put an IAL in after the parents spawned for that purpose… they were probably just plain old infertile! Nice new profile pic btw. 😄

Take off:

IMG_4257.jpeg

• Love 1