So, new to the hobby

Hi all! I've wanted fish for such a long time. Like years. So I started watching Irene's channel and this led me to Aquarium Co-op. So I ordered a 20 gallon low iron rimless tank, scaping, tools, and an led light. My tank arrived today, so I'm very excited! I just ordered supplies from Aquarium Co-op- heater, air filter and pump, water test supplies, etc. I don't have a clue what substrate I want to buy yet. My understanding is that it partially depends on my local water quality, and I haven't tested it yet. In the end I'd like a planted low tech community tank for a betta fish and a few amiable tank mates. Thanks to Cory for creating this space to chat and for all the passion you put into helping newbies to the hobby. 

Edited by Natalie is new
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Welcome! Sounds like you're off to a good start already

I would recommend some kind of plant substrate. It makes keeping plants really easy (at least it did for me as a newbie) and your betta won't mind a slightly lower pH. You could even do a small amount as a bottom layer under something else like eco complete.

Definitely share pictures of what you end up with

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2023 at 10:55 AM, Natalie is new said:

Thanks for the recommendation. I just tested my tap water last night and it looks like my ph is ridiculously high. I'm going to purchase some planting media and plants and start tinkering to see how it goes. I'm traveling this week so I'm going to wait until I return. 

Please define "ridiculously high."  My water is 8.2 pH, and I have a wide variety of fish, invertebrates, and plants doing just fine.  Unless yours is much higher than that I would strongly suggest you not "tinker" with it.

Substrate choice often has a lot to do with the livestock as well as to some degree the plants. For a planted tank you may want a substrate with high cation exchange capacity (cec) which will absorb and then release to the plant’s excess nutrients such as fertilizer. The example I’d give is if you decide to keep fish that like a lower pH you’d want to have a buffering substrate- Fluval Stratum, Brightwell Rio Oscuro, ADA. One note on buffering substrates is the Fluval Stratum and to a greater degree ADA release ammonia so you’ll need to let the “off gas” for a week or a month in a bucket changing water until you get a negative ammonia. Brightwell is good to go out of the bag but you pay $$ for that although it’s cheaper than ADA.
There are also substrates that don’t change pH - florite, eco-complete, activ-flora. As @JettsPapaindicated many people don’t want to chase pH and just want to go with the pH of their tap water is. Corey often advocates substrates like a neutral gravel which are great but just require ferts in the water and root tabs. You can’t go wrong. So any way you go you can make it work it’s just about the work you want to put in to get there. 

• Thanks 1