Colonies…

mynameisnobody

So I’ve been thinking to where I’d like to start keeping more colonies of fish. I have a Neolamprologus Multifasciatus colony in a 75. I also have a colony of sunburst platies in a 40 breeder. I am aware that not all livebearers can function in a colony setting because of predation. Which fish have you kept as a colony, whether purposefully or accidentally. I was thinking a rarer type of kribensis, but not totally sure yet. 

• Love 1

On 10/5/2023 at 1:30 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Which fish have you kept as a colony, whether purposefully or accidentally.

All of my corydoras are "colonies" in pretty much all intent.  There's an oto and some shrimp, but generally just them. 

I would think a hillstream species is a fun colony as well. The "king of the rock pile" battles would be ppv entertainment sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pandas, paleatus, aeneus, and dwarf corys-pygmaeus, habrosus and hastatus all can colony breed. 

Plecos/Lorocaridae are great colony breeders. Ancistrus I have the most experience with but loads of Hypancistrus breeders keep them in colonies. Also Peckoltia. 

Most livebearers can but certainly there are certain color morphs and types that seem more susceptible to predating on their fry. Example - I had @Bentley Pascoe’s blue Hawaiian Moscows and they never touched their fry. I had  some snakeskins that lived to eat their fry. 

Kribensis, most Tanganyikan, Apistos and Krobia are the cichlids I’ve had in colony. 

Wild bettas especially the mouth brooders can be kept this way. 

I had Fundolopanchax gardneri and they colony bred for me. 

• Thanks 1

@nabokovfan87 I’m assuming that some species of corydoras eat their eggs at a slower pace than others? I’ve had panda’s breed in a community tank, but I only know that cuz 1 fry survived. Corydoras is an excellent idea!
Hillstreams are a cool idea, but I believe if you are male heavy, you’re going to run into aggression issues, question is, how manageable is the aggression?

I prefer a colony that doesn’t need males, eggs, or fry pulled. 

thanks for the input 

@Beardedbillygoat1975 holy smokes thanks for the info. Would you say that other corydoras would need their eggs pulled? I’m thinking sterbai’s? 
I’m also heavily leaning towards some kribs. Problem is, I may need to leave the bottom of the aquarium unoccupied other than a bristlenose. 
This is for a 75, so Cory’s and some livebearers would work. Or kribensis and a pleco. Thoughts? 
Apisto’s would also be very cool, however I have hard water. I’m not sure they’ll spawn in my water. I definitely want to work with my water rather than against it. 

On 10/5/2023 at 9:15 PM, mynameisnobody said:

I’m assuming that some species of corydoras eat their eggs at a slower pace than others?

It just might depend on how jungle-ey the tank is.  the bigger the mass, the better the females can hide things.  Mine were pretty notorious for using the underside of fern and anubias leaves.  they would get really good at hiding just a handful of eggs.  I swear every single time I was going to break down the tank to move them or whatever it was predetermined that there would be fry in there and it was a fun surprise.  It's something they do in nature and it's a fun little trait to watch.  One of my favorite things was seeing them lay on the cracks on the underside of a piece of mopani where no one could see.  I knew it was always there, they knew it was safe, and it was all about just letting them do their thing.

Some corydoras need to be triggered, others are very good at just going with the flow.  "If you build it..." mindset and it's just about having the things in place for them and seeing what happens.  Adjust accordingly.

I vote green lasers. 🙂

On 10/5/2023 at 9:15 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Hillstreams are a cool idea, but I believe if you are male heavy, you’re going to run into aggression issues, question is, how manageable is the aggression?

I would follow Rachel O'Leary's setup and just repeat that.  It works well and she would sell fry for years.  If you have the setup right, I imagine it'll be fine.

• Thanks 1

Sterbai are one that you’ll need to pull the eggs. The ones I listed are ones I’ve or friends have successfully colony bred. 

Kribs - In a 75 there’s lots of room. They’ll take up 1/3 of the bottom and in general they’re warners not killers when other fish get into their territory.  But they’re cichlids so you’ll not know till you try. 

Apistos - it depends on the type. Macmasteri are the ones that come to mind that are terribly territorial. I remember a talk where wild types can particularly be challenging in terms of tank mates and aggression if they settle in and start to breed. Bigger body type Apistos also tend to have bigger personalities but I just saw a video where a female nijsaneni was a real terror and ended 2 males after breeding. Cichlid’s man, Forrest Gump’s line about a box of chocolates comes to mind. You never know what you’ll get. 

75 is such a good footprint you’ll be able to scape your way out of issues. A reset of the aquascape with cichlids can also reset aggressor behaviors as they have to spend their brain power in figuring out the new tank vs  their perceived threat. But if there’s a color they don’t like or pattern they’re like a bull and the color red. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@mynameisnobodyi’d say with kribs you have a better than 50% chance in a 75 of having no issues. The problem is the corys. They’re not the smartest fish I’ve ever owned and they’ll snoop and a cichlid could take offense. But I think with the variety of Kribs out there now it’s a beautiful fish, great behaviors and really enjoyable. However, if you’re successful you will have 50-100 fry you’ll need to deal with. Apistos you’ll get half that number. 

• Like 1