Help Identify please

Aguinaga

Not too sure on the top fish, but the second photo is a ripsaw catfish also known as a Niger cat, and the last appears to be a six banded distichodus. Beautiful fish, be very careful when having your hand/arm near the ripsaw. Their sides will slice you open and they get laaaaarge, approx 36”-39”. 

Edited by mynameisnobody
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Aguinaga It doesn’t surprise me that a river monster was added. People still buy pacu’s and those shouldn’t be sold in the pet trade. From the variety I seen in that aquarium, it doesn’t seem like the previous owner cared much about future  planning, seems like they were added until something goes very wrong. 

@Colu Nailed it, great job. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 2:41 PM, mynameisnobody said:

@Colu Could be, but the red in the fins led me towards the distichodus. I was thinking leporinus at first as well, but that red stands out. 

The one in the background look more like a leporinus could be two different species in the same picture or it might just be my eyes playing tricks on me 

• Like 1

I agree with @Colu on all identifications. 

Top: African Electric Catfish

Middle: previously identified as a Niger Cat

Bottom: Banded Leporinus

Leporinus species tend to develop red/orange/yellow in the fins and body as they age

Its not surprising to me that they kept very large fish in with the African cichlids. If kept these catfish will eat the cichlids once they get large enough. And despite large African Cats being sit-wait predators I still recommend they go in no less than 500 gallons of water. Monster fish are often the most neglected as they are not feasible pets for 99% of fish owners

• Like 1

@Biotope Biologist If you use the small sponge filter for size perspective, it isn’t a very large specimen. I’ve found no photo evidence of red in the leporinus fins. However even from a small size:

IMG_2757.png.1f47b15d190cc89f189a25c1f390f7b9.png

I could be wrong but I’ve seen both species as babies and full size in person and the banded leporinus always had translucent fins. I’m going to see what the folks over at MFK have to say. 

On 10/3/2023 at 7:26 AM, mynameisnobody said:

@Biotope Biologist If you use the small sponge filter for size perspective, it isn’t a very large specimen. I’ve found no photo evidence of red in the leporinus fins. However even from a small size:

IMG_2757.png.1f47b15d190cc89f189a25c1f390f7b9.png

I could be wrong but I’ve seen both species as babies and full size in person and the banded leporinus always had translucent fins. I’m going to see what the folks over at MFK have to say. 

I could very well be wrong too! Despite them being from very different continents, both species have the same fin position and even an adipose fin which is often used to narrow species down in my field as it’s rather uncommon.

Im using the very unscientific instinct here. Don’t tell my coworkers but I use this more often than I probably ought to.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 1