Urgent advice needed- I poured *House plant* fertilizer into my 5 gal

Lexi B

Hello, hi, local dumb butt here. 

I was doing water changes and somehow mixed up tiger bloom plant fertilizer with my seachem prime. It's a tank that has one male betta in it, who was immediately scooped out and is now floating in a breeder box in my killifish tank. I just did 3 75-90% water changes on his tank back to back, but I'm extremely concerned that this tank has become a permanent toxic fish wasteland. I have enough aquariums that I'm confident in my ability to jumpstart the cycle, (I always keep a little bit of seeded filter sponge as backup) so that's not so much my concern with the fact that I just nuked my microbiome. 

Current game plan was to let it sit for a day or two and test continually for water levels since the ammonia and nitrogen should show up on test kits. But at this point would I be better off just going any buying a whole new aquarium? I hope this was clear. I'm still in a bit of a panic from the absolute cluster I just unleashed on my aquarium. 

Below are the nutrient facts on tiger bloom. 

Magnesium (water soluble)  - 0.5%
Boron  -  0.02%
Copper  -  0.05%
Iron  -  0.12%
Manganese  -  0.06%
zinc  -  0.05%

Earthworm Castings
Sea Kelp

Edited by Lexi B

On 9/25/2023 at 1:07 AM, Lexi B said:

Hello, hi, local dumb butt here. 

I was doing water changes and somehow mixed up tiger bloom plant fertilizer with my seachem prime. It's a tank that has one male betta in it, who was immediately scooped out and is now floating in a breeder box in my killifish tank. I just did 3 75-90% water changes on his tank back to back, but I'm extremely concerned that this tank has become a permanent toxic fish wasteland. I have enough aquariums that I'm confident in my ability to jumpstart the cycle, (I always keep a little bit of seeded filter sponge as backup) so that's not so much my concern with the fact that I just nuked my microbiome. 

Current game plan was to let it sit for a day or two and test continually for water levels since the ammonia and nitrogen should show up on test kits. But at this point would I be better off just going any buying a whole new aquarium? I hope this was clear. I'm still in a bit of a panic from the absolute cluster I just unleashed on my aquarium. 

Below are the nutrient facts on tiger bloom. 

Magnesium (water soluble)  - 0.5%
Boron  -  0.02%
Copper  -  0.05%
Iron  -  0.12%
Manganese  -  0.06%
zinc  -  0.05%

Earthworm Castings
Sea Kelp

Most of these ingredients are found in aquarium fertilizers I wouldn't replace your tank I would just it leave a couple of days  and keep an eye on your water parameters 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 3

The biggest difference between plant and aquarium ferts in gernerally the amount of ammonia in them, keep testing your water and water changes if you want to speed things along and when things are back in the safe numbers you are back to normal. 

If you have any plants in this tank they will be loving it 

• Like 2

I can't imagine you used all that much, did you? If you mixed it up with Prime, you'd be dosing at 2 drops per gallon, 1 mL per 10 gallons or 1 capful (1 tsp) per 50. We're talking betta tank, so 5-10 gallons? From the tiger bloom label I looked up, the amount for prime would be ~ a tenth or less of the recommended fert dose? Maybe less? 

I'd run carbon for a few days, monitor ammonia levels, treat with prime if necessary (the real one 😛) and expect to be back in business within a few days. 

Edited by TOtrees