Im feeling a bit awkward putting isopod stuff on my journal, and my info thread isnt a good place for me to journal either, so here's a new journal. Im a complete newbie to isopods, im planning on Armidilidum Maculatum, or Zebras.

My container is a 9gallon, 18x10.5x11. Im generally following the guidelines of this video but my substrate is a bit different:

This is the substrate Serpa reccomends (im basing mine off of it):

Screenshot_2023-09-15_11-28-38.png.be0a07836f0d102ced84169ef76a4aed.png

Im pretty much using those ratios, but im using Potting soil instead of topsoil, and the coco chips are outside my budget. (the potting soil has coco fiber in it already). Im waiting for the Sphagnum and Orchid bark to  arrive in the mail but i put everything else together already. I also think i may need to order more potting soil, i didnt quite realize how much of it i needed and it was a half full bag, fortunately its pretty cheap. I havent really done any ventilation holes yet because i havent quite decided on the species and dont want to make any mistakes (i only have one bin). My substrate so far (unit is ACO catch cup full):

3units potting soil

1/2 unit sand

1/2 unit charcoal.

This is what it looks like:

Not too deep, which is why i think ill need multiple rounds of this mixture to get a good depth. Thats the disadvantage of a bigger container, it needs more substrate. I think it will take me 1 or 2 more rounds of my mixture to get the depth that i want.

Screenshot_2023-09-24_10-49-50.png.bf2775dd2ffb02a84dcacfd98b708f05.png

Ventilation wise most of the species im looking at are medium to high ventilation species. So i though 2 big holes on the lid on the dry side, and a few smaller holes going the short way across the dry side, then no holes in the hydration station. Id cover the holes with a fine netting to keep things out, though its not a gasket container so that might make no difference.

I plan on getting this all setup now and getting the springtail culture very established, then ill add isopods later when i have a budget for it. I have various botanicals and leaves collected for this too.

Which leads to my next problem. A week or two ago i went out collecting leafs and magnolia pods for the setup, i boiled them to make sure they were safe then set them out to dry. After a day or two i thought they were dry and put them in storage. I was wrong, the magnolia pods were still wet and are now covered in a fuzz. Would this be harmful to springtails or isopods, or would it just be another food source?

Edited by GoofyGarra
  • Like 2

On 9/25/2023 at 9:28 AM, Guppysnail said:

I’m going with the fuzz being a good source. Looks like a good start. 

i still need to get all my substrate together before i can start with botanicals or springtails. I also need to order some cork hides or possibly create my own wood arches. Also while im just waiting for isopods, maybe i could try some Moss on the moister side. Ive heard Zebras will eat plants, but maybe if i get it pretty established i can make it work. Also im thinking if i get impatient on the zebras maybe just try some wilds from outside?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, i have serious fungus and mold problems happening with some leaves and wood in storage, as well as the charcoal in the bin. The bin does not have a gasket so moisture was getting in which would cause those problems. I think i will finish up the setup, move everything in, and the springtails will be able to take care of my current problems while i wait for the isopods.

I keep A. gestroi, rubber duckies, P. laevis, and P. pruinosus. Whereabouts do you live? If you’re interested in any of the species I have, I can send you a starter colony (except the rubber duckies, they’re just getting started). 

I adopted Serpa Design’s method and keep one side more moist with sphagnum moss and the other side drier. You may consider letting the substrate and entire enclosure air out a bit before adding the springtails and isopods to get the mold more under control. I also recommend cork bark because it is less prone to rotting. 

If you ever make too many holes, you can just cover them with athletic tape. 

For my leaf litter, I’ve used cottonwood, maple, and linden leaves successfully. I usually harvest them right off the branch during the change of the seasons and when they’re all dried up. I’ve found that you get a lot less mold and fungus if you get them when they’re already dry and on the branch rather than bringing in moist leaves from the ground. 

Keep us updated on your progress! 

• Like 2

On 10/11/2023 at 2:04 AM, AnimalNerd98 said:

I keep A. gestroi, rubber duckies, P. laevis, and P. pruinosus. Whereabouts do you live? If you’re interested in any of the species I have, I can send you a starter colony (except the rubber duckies, they’re just getting started). 

i apreaciate the offer but will be receiving a starter culture of P. pruinosus powder orange in a few weeks. I really like P.Pruinosus due to their alien-like appearance to me due to their large antennae. The powder oranges will also be easy to see as the substrate i am using is a darker substrate, so the like orange will stand out.

I adopted Serpa Design’s method and keep one side more moist with sphagnum moss and the other side drier. You may consider letting the substrate and entire enclosure air out a bit before adding the springtails and isopods to get the mold more under control. I also recommend cork bark because it is less prone to rotting. 

i plan on using this method, i think i will cut out my ventilation holes soon to help prevent mold and moisture buildup. I have now placed an order for the remaining stuff it should come in a few days then i will put everything together and seed the container with springtails.

For my leaf litter, I’ve used cottonwood, maple, and linden leaves successfully. I usually harvest them right off the branch during the change of the seasons and when they’re all dried up. I’ve found that you get a lot less mold and fungus if you get them when they’re already dry and on the branch rather than bringing in moist leaves from the ground. 

i dont know what kinds of leaves i have, i just collect them from outside and boil them then dry them out. I need to boil some more leaves and boil some magnolia cones as well for the setup.

Edited by GoofyGarra
  • Like 2

today:

Collected some magnolia leaves from a local tree, i have them sterilizing in boiling water now. (I fill the bucket with boiling water then add the lid to retain heat, it has the same effect as boiling).

IMG_1224.jpg.6182719743f6c52083fe667b66cd2963.jpg

Also some more details on my substrate, i am generally following the serpadesign mix but without the coco-shells as those were outside my budget. The potting soil im using has coco-fiber in it so i have that. This is the substrate mix im using, a tally mark indicates that ive already added it to the mix. I have ordered orchid bark, and sphagnum moss to complete the substrate, as well as another bag of potting soil that contains calcium as i dont have enough of the soil i already have. Im thinking two rounds of this mixture should be deep enough, but i should have enough materials for 3 rounds if needed.

IMG_1226.jpg.a9c3bc6882b74c3055b8330591ffb69c.jpg

After i have my substrate in i will setup the hydration station, later i will cut my ventilation holes for P.Pruinosus and cover the holes with a fine netting.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 6:09 PM, Guppysnail said:

A future less expensive alternative to buying calcium laced soil is simply buy any calcium carbonate powder and lace the soil yourself. You can also find reptile calcium powder for just a few dollars a jar. 

the soil was designed to raise PH so it had calcium in it, i dont think it was any extra cost as i used a prime day deal, it was 6qts for $7 i think.

• Love 1

ok, i cut my ventilation holes, not a process i want to repeat. The container did not cut easy, and the wrong move could send cracks through the bin, i managed to cut 5holes though. 1 medium to large sized hole on each side of the dry side, and 3 small holes on one side of the lid, i then hot glued on a fine netting. The result does not look good, but im hoping it will work:

IMG_1232.jpg.942ef415515e81216e86469228a55a38.jpgIMG_1233.jpg.dba2e8b0ca3e13f4fe56a584ac5f609f.jpgIMG_1234.jpg.f62d7f8d6c845919821ad01e5ac42c7b.jpg

Note: In my aforementioned order i also got cork bark hides, and some cuttlebone. I also should probably order some special isopod food.

Edited by GoofyGarra
  • Like 2

Looking good! 

I would also suggest using some other leaves in addition to the magnolia. While magnolia is aesthetically pleasing, I learned the hard way that it is very difficult for isopods to break them down. In other words, they end up being decorations but not really a source of food. 

Here’s an article talking about other kinds of leaves that isopods love to eat: https://www.smug-bug.com/post/the-importance-of-leaves-for-isopods

For feeding, I give them fish flakes, carrots, zucchini, and leftover crested gecko food. I also leave pulverized egg shells in the corners for calcium. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 1:52 AM, AnimalNerd98 said:

Looking good! 

I would also suggest using some other leaves in addition to the magnolia. While magnolia is aesthetically pleasing, I learned the hard way that it is very difficult for isopods to break them down. In other words, they end up being decorations but not really a source of food. 

Here’s an article talking about other kinds of leaves that isopods love to eat: https://www.smug-bug.com/post/the-importance-of-leaves-for-isopods

For feeding, I give them fish flakes, carrots, zucchini, and leftover crested gecko food. I also leave pulverized egg shells in the corners for calcium. 

i have an assortment of leaves, i mentioned magnolia because i know what kind of leaves they are, as appose to the other leaves i have that i dont know what kind they are.

• Like 1

cuttlebone arrived today! Im not surprised as it was the smallest product in the order that it came the fastest, the rest of the stuff should be here in the next few days. I broke it up into pieces and will add it to my setup once i get the rest of the enclosure ready.

IMG_1237.jpg.1236c1bbd91933ccdec47d5c3cce26af.jpg

• Like 1

ok, everything but the extra potting soil arrived today, together it gives me a good 3in of substrate, so when the rest of the soil comes i should get a deep 6in substrate which will be very good, but if the soil comes after the isopods, i will just have to leave it at 3-4in.

sphagnum moss:

IMG_1239.jpg.5bf46d6bf6f94009278bf9c77df1799e.jpg

Orchid Bark:

IMG_1240.jpg.8c524280b4953577ca7cdb0dbcb78cae.jpg

Cork bark hides:

IMG_1244.jpg.287bf6082d2263cea8121b8da03f17fb.jpg
1round of my substrate mix:

IMG_1243.jpg.ebf6673dffbe5ad12a59d3eb5fa0c43e.jpg

Also my big issue right now is springtails, i have them in my terrariums but dont have a culture that is easy to harvest from. Any ideas to move them around?

Edited by GoofyGarra

I had given up on the other soil coming and had started adding in the hydration station, literally then the soil arrived. I composed round 2 of my substrate, and it goes up to 4-5in which is much deeper and im more confidant with. I installed the hydration station and sprayed it down as well. I moved in some springtails on some charcoal, and over the next few days ill shake some moss into the enclosure to hopefully get some springtails in. I will add hides and botanicals later. Im hopefully ready for isopods in a few days.

Botanicals and cork bark are in, i used a cork hide to bridge dry and transition, and wet and transition, and had a piece that wasnt much of a hide and threw it in the middle. I then covered everything but the hydration station in leaf litter. I should be ready for isopods soon.

IMG_1260.jpg.7669c71ca19b3b5db39dcdb1e86ac955.jpg

Edited by GoofyGarra
  • Like 1

I just realized i forgot to add in the cuttlebone. I just want to make sure the setup is ready for isopods when im getting them in a few days. Also i think Im going to get some Supreme Isopod Chow as ive heard good things about it, as the culture grew, id feed more and more. Also i think for my springtail project ill just collect some from outside. Ive seen many when ive gone on my wild isopod collecting adventures (all unsuccessful) and ill use the floating trick to make sure i dont introduce anything harmful to the enclosure.

Edited by GoofyGarra
  • Like 1

i felt that my current leaf litter layer was lacking (try saying that 5x times fast) so i  went and collected some leaves and magnolia pods. Everything is set out to dry. It should all be ready by the time i get the isopods, but otherwise i will add it afterwards, i know for sure the magnolia pods wont be done trying by the time i get the isopods, not sure about the leaves though. I have everything out on paper towels to dry, im also using the drying rack i built for filter media, it works well for things like magnolia pods and leaves as well.

IMG_1263.jpg.f211e43aad820e1ba2e6a04c7657bef1.jpgIMG_1264.jpg.b9db9ee62a0f9c77f320d2ca490f4439.jpg

Also i think although im getting the orange variety, down the road i want to add some Oreo Crumble to get a fun mix of colors. Wilds, Oranges, Oreo Crumble, and Orange Dalmation, it sounds super cool.

Edited by GoofyGarra
  • Like 1

Isopods arrived today, big thanks to @Guppysnail

I got P.Pruinosus Powder Orange.

I added them in the wet side in the sphagnum they arrived in, they immedietly started exploring, i didnt realize how small these guys are, which makes sense why people keep them in small containers. I also put a xtreme wafer on one of the cork hides, and i spotted a few munching on it, i did not get a good picture unfortunately.

Update, got a picture of Isopods munching on Xtreme Wafers. (i got the xtreme wafers in the large size so i have plenty, and ive heard that isopods like fish food. Plus the wafers have pea protein as a first ingredient, so it should be good for the isopods.

IMG_1283.jpg.b40a132099064e74fb15e49502685d08.jpg

Edited by GoofyGarra
  • Love 1

On 10/18/2023 at 6:54 PM, Guppysnail said:

Thanks for the idea. I never thought to give them Xtreme wafers. Looks like mine get a treat tonight 

i like bottom wafers,  the cat scrapers are a different ingredients.

Honestly first my mind went to "thats the fish food i have" then i thought about it ingredient wise.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 7:33 PM, Guppysnail said:

After a few weeks they will become bolder. They are shy until they feel safe. 

im sure they will also become less shy once they start breeding and there are more of them. Until then it is fun to do my hide and seek game with them, where i find one, and follow it around (with my eyes) until it goes somewhere i cant see, then i choose another one...

• Love 1