What's your "puppy fish" that you love the most?

Lennie

Hello everyone👋🏼

I have a question.

Since my favourite betta fish, Güneş, and my favourite mystery snail, Rick, passed away, I feel like I don't have a personal connection with any fish I have right now. 

I bet you feel me. I love all my fish and snails and watching them. But there is not "one" that interests me more than any other like it used to be with Rick and Güneş, the one that I am bounded with emotionally more than others.

I wanna hear about everyones puppy fish (catfish for cat persons 🤪😝) that they feel emotionally bonded and happy to spend time with everyday 🙃

I'm planning to get me a new fish that has a characteristic of a pup. That will notice me everyday when I walk into the fishroom. The one that I will be excited to watch, feed and spend time with, or even maybe breed one day- but that part is not necessary.

I would love to hear about everyones favorite.

I will drop the list of fish I have rn below just in case besides mentioning their fav, if there is any, I would also like to hear about opinions.

I will have two 110cmx40cmx25cmh tanks , one 75 liter tub, and 50x50x50 cube free for stocking soon.

RIP Güneş and Rick. I miss you two🤍:

image.png.131191d3eadea5f3a1f09de313e4e4fe.png

image.png.ce57c50a670a2bfd98b6e885d5549fd7.png

The list of fish I already have rn:

Rosy barb

Black Ram

Red Lizard Whiptails

Angelfish

Sterbai Cories, pygmy cories, gold laser cories

Super Red LF Bristlenose

Mystery snails, Japanese trapdoor snails, ramshorns, mini ramshorns, bladder snail, rabbit snails, spixi snails, assasin snails

Endlers

Guppies; platinum white, albino silverado, japan blue tail, red grass, pingu, panda, blue black moscow

Vampire crabs

Gold gourami, honey gourami, sparkling gourami

L199

Rummynose tetra

Siamese Algae Eater

M and F bettas

Neocaridinas; blue, yellow, green, black, wild, rili

Discus

Kuhli Loach

Cambarellus diminutus

Apistogramma Erythrura

Clown killis

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/17/2023 at 1:13 AM, mynameisnobody said:

I have an Oscar that is a literal water puppy, but nothing comes close to Saul the flowerhorn. He’s by far, the most personable fish I’ve ever kept. I’ve had a ton of different types of fish, including most cichlids, dwarf and large, and nothing acts more like a puppy as an Oscar or flowerhorn. 

Thanks for sharing you fav one. It feels great to have a fish that keeps you excited about the hobby, isnt it?

I remember my parents having a monster tank with oscars when I was a kid. Ive never had fish tank and fish  that big ever again. They look awesome

Sadly I cant keep anything monster size or as big and active as flowerhorn in my empty tank sizes. Ive seen videos and they get huge!

• Like 1

I’m sorry for your loss. I do understand the heartache losing the fish you feel bonded to. 
My longfin lemon plecos are my heart. They do not display typical hiding behaviors. They come right up front or if I’m on the side they come to see what I’m doing ( looking for food). I feed them live brine shrimp from a coral feeder. They come right up and do their best to angle their mouth on the tip to get the biggest portion. 

When I do tank maintenance they each have a decor they go straight to. That allows me to move them around while vacuuming. The only time they detach while I’m working is if they find an opportunity to see if my hand is tasty. 

On one occasion I had to look at dads pectoral where he broke the tip. He allowed me to pick him up with my hand without a fight.  

Dad has also gotten the hang of me taking his eggs so I’m not constantly overrun. I put my hand down and pet his back. He scurries in and shoves his eggs out. It was rather traumatic for both of us before he started shoving them out to avoid emotional stress and trauma.  As long as I dont pet him he will raise the eggs. 

I love them dearly. If something were to ever happen I would truly be devastated. 

C07637FE-C47B-4111-ADD0-1FE257355523.jpeg

F469AF21-8F15-47A2-8388-798890137280.jpeg

2C6137CF-0356-4E1D-A6D5-AE6E2A13E8CE.jpeg

• Love 6

On 9/17/2023 at 2:34 AM, Guppysnail said:

I’m sorry for your loss. I do understand the heartache losing the fish you feel bonded to. 
My longfin lemon plecos are my heart. They do not display typical hiding behaviors. They come right up front or if I’m on the side they come to see what I’m doing ( looking for food). I feed them live brine shrimp from a coral feeder. They come right up and do their best to angle their mouth on the tip to get the biggest portion. 

When I do tank maintenance they each have a decor they go straight to. That allows me to move them around while vacuuming. The only time they detach while I’m working is if they find an opportunity to see if my hand is tasty. 

On one occasion I had to look at dads pectoral where he broke the tip. He allowed me to pick him up with my hand without a fight.  

Dad has also gotten the hang of me taking his eggs so I’m not constantly overrun. I put my hand down and pet his back. He scurries in and shoves his eggs out. It was rather traumatic for both of us before he started shoving them out to avoid emotional stress and trauma.  As long as I dont pet him he will raise the eggs. 

I love them dearly. If something were to ever happen I would truly be devastated. 

C07637FE-C47B-4111-ADD0-1FE257355523.jpeg

F469AF21-8F15-47A2-8388-798890137280.jpeg

2C6137CF-0356-4E1D-A6D5-AE6E2A13E8CE.jpeg

They look amazing. I have never seen any this yellow irl here. Gorgeous fish Gup. Those fins are perfect💛🧿

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My favorite puppy fish is long gone.  Leviathan was a 16" common pleco.  At feeding time he would swim inverted and vacuum the food from the water surface.  Leviathan never objected to the free belley rubs.

Today, the TFBs will huddle up on the side of the tank closest to wherever I am.  When I approach the tank, they will push each other around like puppies looking for a treat.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 9/17/2023 at 5:07 PM, Tanked said:

My favorite puppy fish is long gone.  Leviathan was a 16" common pleco.  At feeding time he would swim inverted and vacuum the food from the water surface.  Leviathan never objected to the free belley rubs.

Today, the TFBs will huddle up on the side of the tank closest to wherever I am.  When I approach the tank, they will push each other around like puppies looking for a treat.

That is sweet. Cant imagine bellyrubbing a pleco! 😄 At least it sounds like Leviathan was one of the lucky ones that managed to find a good home and care, unlike most common plecos in the hobby

Does TBF stand for tinfoil barbs? They were really cool. I saw them at my lfs once. I was very impressed on their schooling behavior as juveniles. But when I watched prime time's video, they didnt seem that active or schooling as adults

Sorry for your loss. I am super partial to my honey gourami Mil. I think they are just beautiful fish in general and she was my first gourami. They move in a cool way and seem to have more personality, similar to a betta. I also have a male beta, Hutchen who is adored. I think it's easy to get super attached to a fish who is alone in a tank or a centerpiece fish.

Dwarf Mexican crayfish are amazing too! They are larger than shrimp, but small enough that they wont harm small fish. They climb plants and come up to the glass to see me. I drop in tiny pellet food for them and love to watch them pick it up with their little pitchers! I bought a pair with the hope of breeding. I lost my female and was devastated. I plan to get another when I'm certain the weather will cooperate for shipping.

• Like 3

Right now, it's my two hillstream loaches. They don't act like a puppy in that they come to greet me (in fact, they have a favorite hole under the driftwood at the front of the tank where they "hide" but I can still see their tails sticking out LOL) but their movements are so cute and they're the unanimous favorite of all my nieces and nephews. When they sit to watch my tank, I get a steady stream of dialogue about their activities, such as:

Child: They're climbing! Oh, they're hidin'. Oh! It's swimming! They're playing hide and seek again. *pause to watch for them to come back out* *gasp* It's between the rocks! I see it's tail!

By contrast, they couldn't care less about the schooling fish. They're too boring and only do one thing. 😆 They're much prefer the fish with unique and interesting behaviors, and I have to agree. It's fun seeing what they're up to at any given moment.

Edited by Miranda Marie
Autocorrupt 👀
  • Like 3

On 9/17/2023 at 8:05 PM, smm333 said:

Sorry for your loss. I am super partial to my honey gourami Mil. I think they are just beautiful fish in general and she was my first gourami. They move in a cool way and seem to have more personality, similar to a betta. I also have a male beta, Hutchen who is adored. I think it's easy to get super attached to a fish who is alone in a tank or a centerpiece fish.

Dwarf Mexican crayfish are amazing too! They are larger than shrimp, but small enough that they wont harm small fish. They climb plants and come up to the glass to see me. I drop in tiny pellet food for them and love to watch them pick it up with their little pitchers! I bought a pair with the hope of breeding. I lost my female and was devastated. I plan to get another when I'm certain the weather will cooperate for shipping.

Thank you. I also have one honey gourami, Agave, that has been with me for  around1.5 yrs by now. I love him. 

I'm very likely quitting bettas because Im so done with them having weak genes and problematic lines. It makes me so sad

On 9/17/2023 at 8:44 PM, Miranda Marie said:

Right now, it's my two hillstream loaches. They don't act like a puppy in that they come to greet me (in fact, they have a favorite hole under the driftwood at the front of the tank where they "hide" but I can still see their tails sticking out LOL) but their movements are so cute and they're the unanimous favorite of all my nieces and nephews. When they sit to watch my tank, I get a steady stream of dialogue about their activities, such as:

Child: They're climbing! Oh, they're hidin'. Oh! It's swimming! They're playing hide and seek again. *pause to watch for them to come back out* *gasp* It's between the rocks! I see it's tail!

By contrast, they couldn't care less about the schooling fish. They're too boring and only do one thing. 😆 They're much prefer the fish with unique and interesting behaviors, and I have to agree. It's fun seeing what they're up to at any given moment.

Their oddball look impress me as an adult. I can imagine kids loving them 😄 Great choice. Even their heartbeat being visible when they are on glass! I also love my borneo sucker. 

• Like 2

I’ve had two  fish, both passed, that were pretty personable. One was a dojo loach that would always “kiss” my fingers when I put them in the water. The other, my true puppy fish, was Tambi the Protopterus Amphibius. Lots of personality and would hand feed from me. I know people who have the large puffers talk about how personable they are, there vision is excellent and can really observe what’s going on out of there tank so they will grow attached to the ones feeding them.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2023 at 12:51 AM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

I’ve had two  fish, both passed, that were pretty personable. One was a dojo loach that would always “kiss” my fingers when I put them in the water. The other, my true puppy fish, was Tambi the Protopterus Amphibius. Lots of personality and would hand feed from me. I know people who have the large puffers talk about how personable they are, there vision is excellent and can really observe what’s going on out of there tank so they will grow attached to the ones feeding them.

Dojo loaches are dream fish to me. Besides not having the proper tank size rn, I have actually never seen them available anywhere before in my country

Ive never heard of Protopterus Amphibius before! Just did a lil googling, an they look like a mixture of dojo loach and axolotls 😄 very cute

@dasaltemelosguy I see you! Im expecting to hear your puppy fish too 😝 😄 

Edited by Lennie
  • Love 1

On 9/17/2023 at 11:49 AM, Lennie said:

That is sweet. Cant imagine bellyrubbing a pleco! 😄 At least it sounds like Leviathan was one of the lucky ones that managed to find a good home and care, unlike most common plecos in the hobby

Does TBF stand for tinfoil barbs? They were really cool. I saw them at my lfs once. I was very impressed on their schooling behavior as juveniles. But when I watched prime time's video, they didnt seem that active or schooling as adults

Leviathan was about 12 when he passed, spent half his life in a 29 with the barbs.  While you could touch him at other times he would just move somewhere else.  For reasons unknown to me, I have not been able to keep a pleco since.

Yes, TFB = Tinfoil Barb.   In my case they are Red Tailed Tinfoil Barbs Barbonymus Altus.  I guess I could refer to them as RTTFBs, but googling RTTFB doesn't get the same results.  They could get big but the average is only about 8" long.  A lot and personality for the money.  Mine are somewhere near 10 years, and exhibit all of the schooling behaviour such as parading in single file across the tank. Unfortunately my phone's camera isn't fast enough to take a good picture of this.

• Love 1

On 9/18/2023 at 7:45 PM, Tanked said:

Leviathan was about 12 when he passed, spent half his life in a 29 with the barbs.  While you could touch him at other times he would just move somewhere else.  For reasons unknown to me, I have not been able to keep a pleco since.

Yes, TFB = Tinfoil Barb.   In my case they are Red Tailed Tinfoil Barbs Barbonymus Altus.  I guess I could refer to them as RTTFBs, but googling RTTFB doesn't get the same results.  They could get big but the average is only about 8" long.  A lot and personality for the money.  Mine are somewhere near 10 years, and exhibit all of the schooling behaviour such as parading in single file across the tank. Unfortunately my phone's camera isn't fast enough to take a good picture of this.

Do you like the look of Redfin Flagtail Prochilodus(Semaprochilodus Taeniurus)? I think they are also very pretty

Fotoğraf açıklaması yok.