Pregnant Platy?

Beanbo7

On 9/12/2023 at 12:11 PM, GoofyGarra said:

yup, thats definitely pregnant.

Platies will eat their fry, so for best fry results be sure to have lots of cover, so the fry can hide.

Yay!! Thank you so much for confirming. I have quite a bit of plant cover in the corner of their tank, and I do have another small tank I can move them to if I can catch any. I also don’t have room for tons of platies once they grow up so as horrible as it sounds I’m kind of banking on them eating some of them 😬 

Edited by Beanbo7

On 9/12/2023 at 1:20 PM, Guppysnail said:

How far along would you guess she is?  Roughly how long until she is ready to drop fry?  Are there any signs @Beanbo7 can watch for to know she is ready?

I wish i had this information and am trying to figure it out. Pretty much around the same time as i wanted to catalogue that information the platies stopped having babies. Also different platy colorings and sizings can look pregnant different ways so its hard to know.

Edited by GoofyGarra
  • Like 2

On 9/12/2023 at 1:25 PM, GoofyGarra said:

I wish i had this information and am trying to figure it out. Pretty much around the same time as i wanted to catalogue that information the platies stopped having babies. Also different platy colorings and sizings can look pregnant different ways so its hard to know.

If it’s any help, the male has been following her around 24/7 for about the last week and a half! 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 2:35 PM, Beanbo7 said:

If it’s any help, the male has been following her around 24/7 for about the last week and a half! 

thats a good sign. Breeding itself takes place when the male takes his anal fin (or gonopodium) and brings it to the anal fin of the female. How long have you had these platies? Platies can store sperm for up to 7months, so if this female is relatively new, her pregnancy could be from a completely different male then the one you have now.

On 9/12/2023 at 1:43 PM, Beanbo7 said:

I do have another small tank I can move them to if I can catch any. I also don’t have room for tons of platies once they grow up so as horrible as it sounds I’m kind of banking on them eating some of them 😬 

Fortunately platies are relatively popular in the hobby, chances are as long as you ask in advance, your LFS will take any juvinilles you have that you dont want. I cant say you'll get rich in this manner, but if you just  need to rehome some fish it works pretty well.

Edited by GoofyGarra
  • Like 2

On 9/12/2023 at 2:09 PM, GoofyGarra said:

thats a good sign. Breeding itself takes place when the male takes his anal fin (or gonopodium) and brings it to the anal fin of the female. How long have you had these platies? Platies can store sperm for up to 7months, so if this female is relatively new, her pregnancy could be from a completely different male then the one you have now.

Fortunately platies are relatively popular in the hobby, chances are as long as you ask in advance, your LFS will take any juvinilles you have that you dont want. I cant say you'll get rich in this manner, but if you just  need to rehome some fish it works pretty well.

So I’ve had these for a couple months. I had gotten a group of 6 (5 females, one male) and unfortunately they came with ich and it wiped out 3 of them very quickly before medication could help but three survived (two females, one male). 

and yes, I want to check with a couple LFS options. I had talked to the one that I got these platies from and they said they would buy babies off of me, but considering they sold me fish with ich and every time since that I’ve gone and looked at their fish since, they look in rough shape, I want to find them somewhere that will love them as much as I do. Or I’ll convince my fiancé to let me get a second bigger tank, lol 🙂 

• Like 2

Having baby platies is fun. They are super cute and it is fun to see their colors develop. I hope you enjoy them as much as I've loved having mine. I have stopped breeding them and have males and females in separate tanks now. It was a project and a half to sort them all out but it has worked and I've had no new baby platies in over a year.

• Love 1

On 9/14/2023 at 8:39 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

The abdomen with get larger until you’ll see it go from rounded or ovoid to kind of boxy - not rounded - when she’ll be ready to drop the fry. Her first drop could be 10-20, the next drop will be bigger. Best of luck and have fun! 

This is super helpful, thank you!