How Many Bottom Feeders For 75g?

FLFishChik

I’m planning on assembling a 75g and I want to stock it with 6-8 Boesemani Rainbowfish. How many bottom feeders (assuming I have adequate filtration and it’s moderately planted) can or should I have? I’m thinking Kuhli Loaches, Corydoras, Bristlenose pleco. Otocinclus. If not all, then which combination and how many? 

75 g is the biggest tank I’ve ever had so, stocking it feels intimidating!

• Otocinclus aren't bottom feeders, so I'd cross them off, at least for the time being since they need established tanks with plenty of biofilm.
  • I'm a big fan of corys, and you have room for a good sized group.  How large depends on the species, since they aren't all the same size.
  • Like 2

On 9/11/2023 at 10:19 AM, JettsPapa said:
  • Otocinclus aren't bottom feeders, so I'd cross them off, at least for the time being since they need established tanks with plenty of biofilm.
  • I'm a big fan of corys, and you have room for a good sized group.  How large depends on the species, since they aren't all the same size.

I threw the Oto in their as part of the cleanup crew 😁

as for Corydoras, I was thinking Albinos or possibly Pandas

On 9/11/2023 at 10:16 AM, MN-AQUARIST said:

If I was in this position I would do 1-2 bristlenose plecos, say a 12 or so kuhli loaches and the same of corydoras(assuming an average size of about 2 inches full grown).  Keep in mind in a planted tank that size you likely won't see the loaches much. 

Are bristlenose ok alone or do they need a group?

Sounds fun. Looking forward to see the tank.

Bottom dwellers will basically utilise the bottom area as you know. So height does not play a big role on this regard. I see no behavioral difference on my cories between 25 cm, 40cm and 50 cm high tanks but it changes based on the length and width, and group size.

I would do:

1 female ancistrus because males almost never leave the cave.

One of the following: 10 big cory species, 20 mid size ones, or around 30 pygmy size  ones

For kuhlis lots of shade areas and a big group. I have 10, but in that tank size I would go like 20. I believe having an aquasoil is needed for kuhlis. They constantly bury themself in my tank. Seeing their lil heads popping out of the aquasoil is adorable. I know people say fine sand but Im not sure how they would bury themself in fine sand as it tends to be quite tough to dig in. And as I witness their behavior, I wouldn't keep them on anything other tank aquasoil or maybe sand, knowing they would never be able to bury or dig in is sad.

I would also add 3 SAE myself. They are not exactly bottom dwellers I believe, but they do like to rest that fat belly on the bottom sometimes ;D I love mine. They are fun and good looking imo. Also comes with algae eating benefits. 

For otos, it is either a group of 10+ or none for me in the future. I agree with Rachel O'Leary. It is about you if you can sustain their diet, source them tank bred, and so on

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 11:06 AM, mynameisnobody said:

You could easily do all of the above. Personally I would do 1 pleco and 24-30 corydoras. You’ll experience some really neat behaviors in a school that large. What kind of boesmani were you thinking? @FLFishChik

I wasn’t aware there was more than 1 variety of Boesemani Rainbow?? Whaaa???😲

• Like 1

On 9/11/2023 at 11:48 AM, Lennie said:

Sounds fun. Looking forward to see the tank.

Bottom dwellers will basically utilise the bottom area as you know. So height does not play a big role on this regard. I see no behavioral difference on my cories between 25 cm, 40cm and 50 cm high tanks but it changes based on the length and width, and group size.

I would do:

1 female ancistrus because males almost never leave the cave.

One of the following: 10 big cory species, 20 mid size ones, or around 30 pygmy size  ones

For kuhlis lots of shade areas and a big group. I have 10, but in that tank size I would go like 20. I believe having an aquasoil is needed for kuhlis. They constantly bury themself in my tank. Seeing their lil heads popping out of the aquasoil is adorable. I know people say fine sand but Im not sure how they would bury themself in fine sand as it tends to be quite tough to dig in. And as I witness their behavior, I wouldn't keep them on anything other tank aquasoil or maybe sand, knowing they would never be able to bury or dig in is sad.

I would also add 3 SAE myself. They are not exactly bottom dwellers I believe, but they do like to rest that fat belly on the bottom sometimes ;D I love mine. They are fun and good looking imo. Also comes with algae eating benefits. 

For otos, it is either a group of 10+ or none for me in the future. I agree with Rachel O'Leary. It is about you if you can sustain their diet, source them tank bred, and so on

What is considered a “big” corydoras?

I personally would classify hastatus/habrosus/pygmys small size, pandas mid size, and anything bigger than that size big/large, like sterbais, venezuelans, lasers, albinos, etc. I dont see people keeping much but ofc there are even larger ones like brochis.

You are very likely to get males and females in a group of 10, so you can always breed your own which is fun

Edited by Lennie
  • Thanks 1

Do you want the bottom feeders for clean up crew, or are you just filling the levels? 

Thoughts: 1) You can never have too many kuhlis. Even if you rarely see them. 2) What about dwarf chain loaches ($$, I know)? 3) What about a herd of amanos? 

Other thoughts: A) Will there be lots of live plants? B) Lots or little water changes? C) Breeding or raising anything in this tank, or display only (speaks to how much food gets loaded into the system)? 

On 9/11/2023 at 12:58 PM, TOtrees said:

Do you want the bottom feeders for clean up crew, or are you just filling the levels? 

Thoughts: 1) You can never have too many kuhlis. Even if you rarely see them. 2) What about dwarf chain loaches ($$, I know)? 3) What about a herd of amanos? 

Other thoughts: A) Will there be lots of live plants? B) Lots or little water changes? C) Breeding or raising anything in this tank, or display only (speaks to how much food gets loaded into the system)? 

To answer the first question- both… cleaners and filling out the bottom (and personal entertainment)

it will be planted- my definition of moderate = you’ll be able to still see the hardscape and I’m not intending it to be “jungle”

Not intentionally breeding anything. The centerpiece fish will be 6-8 Boesemani Rainbow. 

water changes will be on the larger side. 

as for Amano, I wasn’t sure they wouldn’t be consumed as snacks by the Boesemani, so I hadn’t planned for them.

Edited by FLFishChik

On 9/11/2023 at 2:39 PM, FLFishChik said:

as for Amano, I wasn’t sure they wouldn’t be consumed as snacks by the Boesemani, so I hadn’t planned for them.

I guess it depends on how big you get the rainbows, and how big you get the amanos. I've had this extended herd of amanos in various tanks for 4+ years, and the females are easily the same length as a nearly-full-grown rummynose tetras. Given the generally small mouths on rainbows (relative to body size), I'm sure they'd be totally fine. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 3:10 PM, Atitagain said:

Would be great to see them all in there. Delay the otocinclus but I love Pygmy corys. 

I may have to pass on Kuhli loaches though, since the majority of info I’ve read and received here tell me they require sand substrate and… I’m not ready for sand. I prefer (and love me some) gravel.

UNLESS… I can’t get away will only specific areas of sand maybe? IDK

On 9/11/2023 at 4:35 AM, FLFishChik said:

How many bottom feeders (assuming I have adequate filtration and it’s moderately planted) can or should I have? I’m thinking Kuhli Loaches, Corydoras, Bristlenose pleco. Otocinclus. If not all, then which combination and how many? 

I say minimum 50 corydoras!  (Some will suggest about 15-25 though. 🙂 )
Otos, 4-6 works well.
Amano shrimp, as many as you want, 15-25 works well
Pleco 1-3 works well. 
Kuhli loaches, I am not sure....

On 9/11/2023 at 11:39 AM, FLFishChik said:

Nah. Should be fine.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2023 at 11:44 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I say minimum 50 corydoras!  (Some will suggest about 15-25 though. 🙂 )
Otos, 4-6 works well.
Amano shrimp, as many as you want, 15-25 works well
Pleco 1-3 works well. 
Kuhli loaches, I am not sure....

Nah. Should be fine.

Maybe I can grow my own Corys for this tank… if I can manage to stop dropping the eggs!🤪

• Love 1

I have 10 kuhli loaches and 8 corys in a 29 gallon and there is plenty of room for more.  Even with 10 kuhli loaches, I rarely see more than one or 2 swimming around....they love to hide.  You could add 50 to a 75 gallon and with plenty of hiding spots and plants you would never know.

Just an opinion, I'm not an expert.

• Like 1