Aquarium Salt and Amano Shrimp

RichNJ

We have a planted 20L live bearer tank with guppies, platies and mollies.  There’s approx.  15-16 galloons of water in there I think after the substrate (I remember that when I first set up the tank 1.5 years ago).    I use low dose Fritz aquarium salt in this tank at 1 tablespoon per 5g since it’s a live bearer tank.  The plants in the tank take it well.  

I plan on adding some Amano shrimp to combat  green hair algae and we like them too.  

Can Amanos handle that amount aquarium salt?

On 8/26/2023 at 2:13 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Amano’s will love the salt, just be careful with the plants. They don’t appreciate it too much. 

@mynameisnobody so that’s a question I have too.  I am using 1 tablespoon per 5g…the plants seem like ok so far, but am curious at what leaky level will the plants be negatively impacted 

On 8/26/2023 at 12:48 PM, RichNJ said:

@mynameisnobody so that’s a question I have too.  I am using 1 tablespoon per 5g…the plants seem like ok so far, but am curious at what leaky level will the plants be negatively impacted 

1 per 3 has generally been ok for most plants for me.  Some plants like anubias, ferns don't mind salt nearly as much as others (like hairgrass).

Amano shrimp do just fine with salt.  @Zenzo even keeps some in a brackish tank.