Tank at dark

The lights in my tanks all shut off at different times allowing the room to gradually darken. The room is never totally dark, but  the largest fish are barely visible as the room darkens, and moving around the room tends to spook them.  

Prior to buying the ACO light, My small community tank used 3 DIY lights that would shut off at 10 minute intervals laterally across the tank. I did spend a lot of time watching these fish as the tank went dark. Most followed the light across the tank..  The large community had a central light setup like yours.  After dark I loved watching the Moonlight Gourami drifting in and out of view.  The behavior of the rest of the fish didn't noticeably change.

Every morning as the sun comes up I spend time watching my tanks. Then when emergent plant lights come on I watch again. Evening is in reverse. I find they have the most interesting behaviors during that time. 
It seems tank lights on mean a constant food search. Every other behavior is dominant without tank lights. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 11:30 AM, Guppysnail said:

Every morning as the sun comes up I spend time watching my tanks. Then when emergent plant lights come on I watch again. Evening is in reverse. I find they have the most interesting behaviors during that time. 
It seems tank lights on mean a constant food search. Every other behavior is dominant without tank lights. 

Because they are normally too dark to see anything, I don't usually check the tanks first thing in the morning.   During the Angelfish emergency last month, I began checking more frequently. I discovered that this time of the year the large tanks are briefly illuminated by early morning light reflected from my neighbors houses.  The Silver Dollars take a little more color and shine, and the fish seem to go about their business and ignore me.  As you said, that will all change later today when the electric lights switch on.

• Like 1