Red eye puffer

Cinnebuns

I'm gathering information about red eye puffer fish and debating getting one. My LFS has had some for over a month. They actually have one on hold for me knowing I may change my mind. I have never had a puffer species before so I want to make fully sure my information is accurate before I dive in. 

Here's the information I have:

-  They get about 1.7 inches which should work for 1 in my 6.7 gallon half-moon tank. 

-  Like most puffers, they are personable and will interact with you. 

-  Ambush predators so enjoy heavily planted. 

-  Having just 1 in a tank is fine. 

-  In regards to feeding, which is usually a major thing with puffers, the LFS has been feeding them freeze dried blood worms, frozen foods, occasionally ramshorn snails and juvenile endlers. I'm considering freeze dried blood worms, frozen krill or bbs, I have ramshorn snails, guppies I can pull fry out, and shrimp I can pull culls out. I actually don't have a ton of ramshorns right now so am considering making a tank to populate more from before diving in. 

Is any of this information incorrect?  Is there anything important I should know?  Any information to add is helpful. 

@mountaintoppufferkeeper

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 11:00 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I'm gathering information about red eye puffer fish and debating getting one. My LFS has had some for over a month. They actually have one on hold for me knowing I may change my mind. I have never had a puffer species before so I want to make fully sure my information is accurate before I dive in. 

Here's the information I have:

-  They get about 1.7 inches which should work for 1 in my 6.7 gallon half-moon tank. 

-  Like most puffers, they are personable and will interact with you. 

-  Ambush predators so enjoy heavily planted. 

-  Having just 1 in a tank is fine. 

-  In regards to feeding, which is usually a major thing with puffers, the LFS has been feeding them freeze dried blood worms, frozen foods, occasionally ramshorn snails and juvenile endlers. I'm considering freeze dried blood worms, frozen krill or bbs, I have ramshorn snails, guppies I can pull fry out, and shrimp I can pull culls out. I actually don't have a ton of ramshorns right now so am considering making a tank to populate more from before diving in. 

Is any of this information incorrect?  Is there anything important I should know?  Any information to add is helpful. 

@mountaintoppufferkeeper

In addition to @Beardedbillygoat1975  from @nabokovfan87 ill add @Furfinsandfire , @Gannon , and @MAC 

i did have two males and 3 females in a 40 breeder and temporarily in a 20 high without issue. Ive personally found more space helps keep any group of puffers more calm and comfortable.   My red tail redeyes have been traded in a fishroom retool but heavy plants were one of their preferences and i found them very relaxed as a group. . 

Mysis shrimp

20221222_093010_1.gif.4de54e6db3dd961c9894d5aac3531636.gif

Female adults (much smaller)

20230611_103033_1.gif.63aea4ca623545b9bc92e9a5d70bd1fb.gif

They get about 1.7 inches which should work for 1 in my 6.7 gallon half-moon tank. 

If theye are Carinotetraodon irrubesco my males were maxxed out at 2 5" TL that 1.7 must be nose to base of tail. I think id try one in a 6.7 gallon with live plants

Like most puffers, they are personable and will interact with you. 

Mine were in my tanks

-  Ambush predators so enjoy heavily planted

I didnt notice ambush but they did actively hunt and were comfirtable in plants 

-  Having just 1 in a tank is fine

Ill defer to the experts on that but probably and likely  more personality with the owner as a single. 

-  In regards to feeding, which is usually a major thing with puffers, the LFS has been feeding them freeze dried blood worms, frozen foods, occasionally ramshorn snails and juvenile endlers. I'm considering freeze dried blood worms, frozen krill or bbs, I have ramshorn snails, guppies I can pull fry out, and shrimp I can pull culls out

Frozens Mysis shrimp, krill, bloodworm

Freeze dried bloodworms, krill

Live: earthworms, whiteworms

Rarely : ramshoorns they would hunt and grab vs biting shells

Mine ate everything  I never had other species of fish  but assume fry could be an occasional meal

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What will their setup be? Tank size etc? 

I agree with @mountaintoppufferkeeper.

Size they were bigger than 1.7” even the females were getting close to 2” before their demise. 

I’ve done them solo, they were constantly looking for others. Their behaviors were definitely more natural in a group setting. I wouldn’t say they were as personable as other puffers I’ve seen ie green spotted, figure of 8 or spotted congos.  I think their behaviors more closely resembles pea puffers. I had one male who was more water puppy like but the others weren’t. Hank was my largest male one I had longest was approaching 3”. He killed anything in the tank except his harem of females. 

Id agree they were active hunters not ambush predator. They knew they were the apex predator in the tank and were out and about. 

If I did them again I’d dedicate a 40 breeder and shoot for the 2 males and 6 females. Dithers can be used but I’d not hold out a lot of hope. They are not amazons or spotted congos. They are not community fish. I’d expect some casualties in a community setting. My wife has said never again to having puffers with other fish as every time she became attached to something the puffer would take an interest, pick at it, stress it and either directly or indirectly kill it. 

Feeding plan seems reasonable. Like other puffers they can become problematic if they become attached to one food or another. They will decimate snails and live foods. Mosquito larvae were a favorite over the summer.

On 8/14/2023 at 1:06 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

What will their setup be? Tank size etc? 

I agree with @mountaintoppufferkeeper.

Size they were bigger than 1.7” even the females were getting close to 2” before their demise. 

I’ve done them solo, they were constantly looking for others. Their behaviors were definitely more natural in a group setting. I wouldn’t say they were as personable as other puffers I’ve seen ie green spotted, figure of 8 or spotted congos.  I think their behaviors more closely resembles pea puffers. I had one male who was more water puppy like but the others weren’t. Hank was my largest male one I had longest was approaching 3”. He killed anything in the tank except his harem of females. 

Id agree they were active hunters not ambush predator. They knew they were the apex predator in the tank and were out and about. 

If I did them again I’d dedicate a 40 breeder and shoot for the 2 males and 6 females. Dithers can be used but I’d not hold out a lot of hope. They are not amazons or spotted congos. They are not community fish. I’d expect some casualties in a community setting. My wife has said never again to having puffers with other fish as every time she became attached to something the puffer would take an interest, pick at it, stress it and either directly or indirectly kill it. 

Feeding plan seems reasonable. Like other puffers they can become problematic if they become attached to one food or another. They will decimate snails and live foods. Mosquito larvae were a favorite over the summer.

Ty. Great info. 

The tank I'm trying to stock is a 6.7 gallon half-moon that sits on my desk. I like having a fish to interact with while playing my video games. Originally there was a betta in there and I've debated a pea puffer but then I saw these in my LFS and decided to research if it's a good choice. It sounds like it's an OK choice but maybe not the best choice. Is there another puffer you think might fit in better?  The one I know most about is pea puffers because that's the most popular one, but I also know they do better in groups which likely wouldn't fit this tank. 

20230814_142653.jpg

I would say a 10-15 g would be minimum. Agree it’s not the best choice for that setup. 

Pea puffers could work, 3 can work in a tank around 10 g and it’s all about the decor and the planting to help with sight lines. I have 3 in the sad bowl with some white clouds but they’ve all got ratty tails so I’m pulling them this week. 

For me, I’d consider badis, sparkling or croaking gouramis if you’re looking at a desktops fish not a betta splendens. Some of the wild species like Betta imbellis are small enough to consider. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/14/2023 at 6:34 AM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

In addition to @Beardedbillygoat1975  from @nabokovfan87 ill add @Furfinsandfire , @Gannon , and @MAC 

i did have two males and 3 females in a 40 breeder and temporarily in a 20 high without issue. Ive personally found more space helps keep any group of puffers more calm and comfortable.   My red tail redeyes have been traded in a fishroom retool but heavy plants were one of their preferences and i found them very relaxed as a group. . 

Mysis shrimp

20221222_093010_1.gif.4de54e6db3dd961c9894d5aac3531636.gif

Female adults (much smaller)

20230611_103033_1.gif.63aea4ca623545b9bc92e9a5d70bd1fb.gif

They get about 1.7 inches which should work for 1 in my 6.7 gallon half-moon tank. 

If theye are Carinotetraodon irrubesco my males were maxxed out at 2 5" TL that 1.7 must be nose to base of tail. I think id try one in a 6.7 gallon with live plants

Like most puffers, they are personable and will interact with you. 

Mine were in my tanks

-  Ambush predators so enjoy heavily planted

I didnt notice ambush but they did actively hunt and were comfirtable in plants 

-  Having just 1 in a tank is fine

Ill defer to the experts on that but probably and likely  more personality with the owner as a single. 

-  In regards to feeding, which is usually a major thing with puffers, the LFS has been feeding them freeze dried blood worms, frozen foods, occasionally ramshorn snails and juvenile endlers. I'm considering freeze dried blood worms, frozen krill or bbs, I have ramshorn snails, guppies I can pull fry out, and shrimp I can pull culls out

Frozens Mysis shrimp, krill, bloodworm

Freeze dried bloodworms, krill

Live: earthworms, whiteworms

Rarely : ramshoorns they would hunt and grab vs biting shells

Mine ate everything  I never had other species of fish  but assume fry could be an occasional meal

Any idea on teeth growing concerns? Been hearing conflicting information about this lately?