Old ACO members presentation question

Guppysnail

One of the original member presentation’s was by Barbie Florentino (? Spelling) 

It was on breeding ancistrus. 

There was one slide with a pleco that sort of looked like a bristlenose but it was not. It looked like someone plopped an old sailors mop on its head instead of just bristles. 

It was adorable 🥰 I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it. I also cannot seem to find that presentation.

Can anyone help me out?

Sort of like these 🤣

69220BD4-0B62-483A-A5E3-0A4902CDD249.jpeg

B4FB21CE-B3A0-4D82-8800-3B005B583043.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/4/2023 at 12:31 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

I haven’t seen the presentation but just taking a stab in the dark, was it a medusa pleco? They can get pretty mop headed

photo of ancistrus ranunculus

IMG_3858.jpeg.23df03a529c6df79064c0a2947c0952d.jpeg

Maybe. The one she had the bristles were so long bushy and mop like you could not see eyes or face. 

Somebody posted a pic the other day, I think on a Facebook fish forum?  That had either a blue-eyed lemon or one of the very yellow looking albinos, that was so bushy it was almost fuzzy looking and it looked like it couldn’t even see.  I think they said it was a genetic mutation that wasn’t very tenable.  They had health issues and they mentioned they should be bred out of the lines.

I know there are some bigger bristlenose species that have much more bushy faces but couldn’t tell you specific specie names.  When I was into fish the first time around, we used to only see a species that was a nearly solid greenish brown with minimal markings that was absolutely loaded with bristles and they were up to 10” long or so.  I haven’t seen one like that anywhere since back then, not even in pictures.  Haven’t even heard mention of one that size.  I’m pretty sure I’m not misremembering but it was over 30 years ago that I saw them.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Edited by Odd Duck
Clarify
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1