Can orchids be grown in baskets in a tank?

Lavender

Peace lilies are toxic to cats/dogs. In case you have any, and if they have access to where fish tank(s) are placed, I would personally avoid them. I actually avoid them. Mine is living in a room where mine don't enter 

Regarding the orchids, you can also check this one:

• Like 2

I have seen people plant the smaller orchid species on wood that extends down into the water. It is very beautiful! 

Or idk if plant is the right word. Anchor to wood with a clump of sphagnum moss. The humidity from the water helps in drier climates too I assume. I would not submerge them though unless they are swamp orchids that grow in the emergent zone

• Like 2

I’ve had peace lilies (and pothos) with cats for over 30 years with no issues.  I’ve had some cats that would chew on nearly anything but they don’t chew enough to cause an issue with either peace lilies or pothos because they taste bad.

The trick with orchids is that most don’t like their roots saturated all the time.  They like frequent wetting but good drainage.  So you have to either chose species that tolerate wet feet or get them far enough from the water that they can choose where to grow their roots.  I was recently gifted a few orchids (they were going to be thrown away) and I’m planning to run an experiment once they are done blooming.  I’m going to try some very chunky, fast draining orchid mix in the pots sitting on top of sponge blocks with water continually flowing over the sponge blocks.

I’ve been running my 75G with anthuriums sitting in their pots on sponge blocks this way and it’s worked very well.  I’m about to redo the anthuriumas with their roots washed free of substrate and tucked in beside the sponge blocks in the HOB’s like my peace lilies are currently (they’re coming out).  The anthuriums will have much wetter roots since I know they will tolerate it and I want to arrange the orchids where the anthuriums currently are so they will have water running through the bottom 1/4”-1/2” of the pot and see if they will grow their roots down to the water and be happy or if the substrate will wick enough (or too much water) up for their roots.  I’ve got 2 mini Phalanopsis and one large Phal to try it with.  Phals tend to tolerate wetter roots, so we’ll see.

Wish me luck!  I’ll report back and document the process and progress.  I’m still looking for orchids that tolerate wet roots.  There are some but they’re hard to find.

• Like 6

Most common Orchids are epiphytes. They grow on trees, using the tree for support and protection. That means they largely survive on humidity and an occasional rain. Submerging the roots in an aquarium will kill them. And orchids are typically slower growing and don't need/want intense fertilization. To pull nitrates from an aquarium you want a hungry, fast growing plant. That's not most orchids. Even if you could get an orchid to survive, you'd get minimal benefit from it in terms of nitrate removal. To really pull nitrates from the water, you want a fast growing weed-like plant. If you can provide adequate lighting, marsh plants would be ideal. Cat tails, phragmites, etc are naturals in that setting and will grow quickly and rip nitrates from the water.

• Like 2

I am growing some emergent swamp plants from clemson and they are growing like crazy! 

This water willow has beautiful violet-esque flowers. I’m not a botanist.

IMG_3774.jpeg.d64c19116c782aacfcd05d1574ea0177.jpeg

I have also had great success with a maidenhair fern growing on a log half submerged in my tank where most people kill these ferns in a pot. They really do well with constant water running through the soil

IMG_3367.jpeg.235095ec37efe770e43b6a79020202c4.jpeg

• Like 4

Yep, plants that like constant moisture, but drainage will sometimes tolerate water that runs through where they won’t tolerate standing, stagnant water. It’s the only reason I’m going to try the Phals as kind of “damp” but not quite wet as they will only have some water wicking up and will need to send their own roots down if that suits them.  Most Phals come in substrate that would hold too much water which is why I’m swapping their substrate before trying this with them.

There are orchids that will tolerate much wetter roots - Masdevallia orchids tend to be much more tolerant of wet roots and the running water through the base of the pot should suit them since they need continuous moisture and high humidity.  Miltoniopsis might tolerate a similar arrangement but aren’t usually wanting as much moisture as Masdevallia.  There is even an orchid species I’ve heard about that grows right in running water in high oxygen mountain streams if I could ever think of the name of it, but good luck finding that one for sale anywhere.  There is also an orchid that will form mats in stagnant water (Habenaria repens AKA Water Spider Orchid)  that grows as an aquatic emergent.  It doesn’t have a particularly spectacular flower, but a nice cluster of small flowers on a good sized flower spike.  Other Habenaria sp are more showy but like a drier, often dormant period.

There are several species of bog orchid that tolerate very wet roots for much of the year but usually want a drier, dormant period.  Some of the Phragmipedium orchids tend to like wetter feet but not necessarily always saturated.  Jewel orchids are often more tolerant of wetter roots but would need be grown so they “reach” down to their ideal moisture level to have any chance.  They have more showy leaves than flowers.

OK, now I have to order some jewel orchids, at least. 😆 🤦🏻‍♀️ 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/29/2023 at 3:58 AM, Odd Duck said:

Masdevallia orchids tend to be much more tolerant of wet roots a

Wow such interesting info on some orchids.  Oh no, another internet rabbit hole to disappear down for a few hours.  But a fun one certainly.

• Like 1

Would it be possible for you to basket your orchids above the waterline but close to the air stone, or other bubble source.  The bursting bubbles would deliver small amounts of water to the roots or potting medium.

I'm always in awe at the terrestrial plants people grow in their aquariums.  I've killed many a Peace Lily because "I was overwatering them"

I've never managed to keep orchids alive for an extended period. In winter my house is extremely dry.  This fall I plan to press one of the empty 55s into service. The thought being that I will have better control over the humidity and light.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 9:04 AM, Tanked said:

Would it be possible for you to basket your orchids above the waterline but close to the air stone, or other bubble source.  The bursting bubbles would deliver small amounts of water to the roots or potting medium.

I'm always in awe at the terrestrial plants people grow in their aquariums.  I've killed many a Peace Lily because "I was overwatering them"

I've never managed to keep orchids alive for an extended period. In winter my house is extremely dry.  This fall I plan to press one of the empty 55s into service. The thought being that I will have better control over the humidity and light.

A pebble filled tray with water under orchids is a great way to increase the humidity around them since it will catch drips and the pebbles increase evaporative surface area.  Inside a lidded tank it would do even more.  You could also put a floating ultrasonic fogger into a bowl of distilled or RO water and put it on a timer.  This is what I used for my “dry start” for the Fissidens moss in my angel tank.  I ran it continually for the moss to establish, but you wouldn’t need to for orchids.  The little cover keeps it from splashing water out so much.  I wanted fog, not splashes.

IMG_3359.jpeg

• Like 2

Great idea.  I've always wanted an excuse to justify buying a fogger!   In winter my house plants sit on or in the plastic boot trays according to their needs.  I found one large tray to be easier to manage (and cheaper) than individual trays.  Some plants take water directly from the tray, and others sit atop pebbles or plastic jar lids. I've never figured out what I am doing wrong with the orchids.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 10:28 AM, Tanked said:

Great idea.  I've always wanted an excuse to justify buying a fogger!   In winter my house plants sit on or in the plastic boot trays according to their needs.  I found one large tray to be easier to manage (and cheaper) than individual trays.  Some plants take water directly from the tray, and others sit atop pebbles or plastic jar lids. I've never figured out what I am doing wrong with the orchids.

Orchids are weirdly tough but can also be notoriously picky about certain things.  Nearly every species of orchid has different things that trigger them to bloom.  Some like a drying out period or changes in the percentages in their fertilizers, dark periods, increasing day lengths, etc, etc.  You often need to know exactly what triggers each species to have reblooming.

I decided after the first time that I dove deep into orchids years ago (had 30 plus species for a while) that most were just too much work for me.  😆  I’m going to give it a try with these phals and the jewel orchids with them hopefully soaking up their own water.  I’m hoping that fish water will be enough like the “weakly weekly” usual fertilization recommendations for orchids that it will to do the trick.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 2:58 AM, Odd Duck said:

Masdevallia orchids tend to be much more tolerant of wet roots and the running water through the base of the pot should suit them since they need continuous moisture and high humidity.  Miltoniopsis

I have species of both of those still growing, and though they tolerate very, very wet roots in my case.  They also tend to like the evenings to cool, and don't tolerate low humidity well.  I'd be concerned that even over an aquarium they would pout at best, and at worst, well the worst.  I suspect this is why, despite most people's tendency to over water any plant in their house, you don't see these two more commonly in homes.

On 7/29/2023 at 2:58 AM, Odd Duck said:

Habenaria repens

I've often wondered why, given the extensive range of the species in the States, and it's cohabitation with many plants used in aquaria, we don't see this one in the trade.  I think it would make a really interesting species for a planted tank, and wonder what the high-tech tank folks could do with it as a submerged specimen?! 

Rather than trying to adapt an epiphyte to a semi-aquatic condition, I might try orchids that are terrestrial and naturally marginals, like some of the Calopogon species or Pogonia ophioglossoides, which are both occasionally commercially available.  Plus they look like "orchids" when they bloom.  I'm not sure how hard set their dormancy is though.  Just a thought.

On 8/6/2023 at 6:43 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I have species of both of those still growing, and though they tolerate very, very wet roots in my case.  They also tend to like the evenings to cool, and don't tolerate low humidity well.  I'd be concerned that even over an aquarium they would pout at best, and at worst, well the worst.  I suspect this is why, despite most people's tendency to over water any plant in their house, you don't see these two more commonly in homes.

I've often wondered why, given the extensive range of the species in the States, and it's cohabitation with many plants used in aquaria, we don't see this one in the trade.  I think it would make a really interesting species for a planted tank, and wonder what the high-tech tank folks could do with it as a submerged specimen?! 

Rather than trying to adapt an epiphyte to a semi-aquatic condition, I might try orchids that are terrestrial and naturally marginals, like some of the Calopogon species or Pogonia ophioglossoides, which are both occasionally commercially available.  Plus they look like "orchids" when they bloom.  I'm not sure how hard set their dormancy is though.  Just a thought.

Exactly all of this.  I tried Masdevallias in a terrarium but I don’t think I had the substrate deep enough that the roots were above the water.  Growing in a pot sitting on saturated foam might work, though, since I have multiple tanks in that room.  I nearly ordered some the other day but I need to shift some emerse plants around to make room for the jewel orchids and fancy pothos I ordered when we were last on this subject.  😆 I should not be allowed to shop after work with tired brain!  Their estimated delivery date was a crazy wide range but I didn’t have that info until after I ordered.  🤦🏻‍♀️ 🤷🏻‍♀️ Hopefully they get here before their last estimated delivery date in mid September!

• Haha 1

I've got a nice M. veitchiana.  It's a bit of a sentimental plant for me.  When I was in high school, my mother met an older woman in line at the grocery store who was having trouble maintaining her orchid collection.  My mother selflessly volunteered me to help her because I liked "stuff that's alive".  Well, it turns out this woman and her husband were in their 90's at the time and had traveled throughout Latin America in the 1930's collecting orchids (they had the absolute best and craziest stories!!!).  They had one of the largest private collections of orchids on the West Coast; it covered 4 large greenhouses on their property.  Anyhow, I've never been super big into orchids, though I've had to care for hundreds of species in my career.  But they have never been my thing, if that makes sense.  Well, after 3 years of helping her out for at least a few hours each weekend, I was headed off to college.  She asked me which orchid I wanted when I got back as a gift.  I told her I liked the M. veitchiana most; when in truth it was about the only one I cared about at all.  She promised me she'd divide her only plant for me.  Unfortunately, she and her husband died before I could get this kind gift.  Her family, not caring for her collection, sold it off piecemeal to the highest bidders.  I never got to say goodbye, and never got the plant as a memory of this kind and adventurous woman.  So, I decided I wanted to one day grow this plant again.  I have essentially built a whole room to optimally house it.  I think she'd be proud.  🙂

• Love 3

On 8/9/2023 at 6:29 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I've got a nice M. veitchiana.  It's a bit of a sentimental plant for me.  When I was in high school, my mother met an older woman in line at the grocery store who was having trouble maintaining her orchid collection.  My mother selflessly volunteered me to help her because I liked "stuff that's alive".  Well, it turns out this woman and her husband were in their 90's at the time and had traveled throughout Latin America in the 1930's collecting orchids (they had the absolute best and craziest stories!!!).  They had one of the largest private collections of orchids on the West Coast; it covered 4 large greenhouses on their property.  Anyhow, I've never been super big into orchids, though I've had to care for hundreds of species in my career.  But they have never been my thing, if that makes sense.  Well, after 3 years of helping her out for at least a few hours each weekend, I was headed off to college.  She asked me which orchid I wanted when I got back as a gift.  I told her I liked the M. veitchiana most; when in truth it was about the only one I cared about at all.  She promised me she'd divide her only plant for me.  Unfortunately, she and her husband died before I could get this kind gift.  Her family, not caring for her collection, sold it off piecemeal to the highest bidders.  I never got to say goodbye, and never got the plant as a memory of this kind and adventurous woman.  So, I decided I wanted to one day grow this plant again.  I have essentially built a whole room to optimally house it.  I think she'd be proud.  🙂

I’m quite sure she would be proud!  What a wonderful tribute!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got my Masdevallias yesterday plus my jewel orchids and some fancy philodendron starts.  The Masdevallies came from one company, the rest from another.  The Mas are in great shape, very well packed and shipped fast.  The others were not quite as well packed, a bit mixed in how they look, and took forever to ship.

The Mas all look pretty identical now since they aren’t in bloom.  They arrived in small pots so they are already stationed on various sponge packed HOB’s which got me on a side quest cleaning prefilters (which I had been putting off).  They are in front of a west facing window but I keep the mini blind down but slats mostly open so those tanks get some sun but not too much.  It should be about right with 14 tanks and a couple jars in that room.  I still plan to consolidate into a fish room so eventually they’ll have even more humidity.  I’ll keep a close watch on them.  I have one of the 10 G tanks that I’m still trying to catch shrimp out of (they’re breeding faster than I can catch them).  The Mas’ can go in there if they look like they need more humidity.

The philodendrons and jewel orchids were shipped with a little soil wrapped in plastic wrap around their roots.  One of the jewel orchid varieties looks great, the other one was definitely very dry and one stem was broken off.  I’ll try to root the broken stem, treating it like a cutting.  None of the philodendrons currently look anything like their mature form other than hints of pale orange on the Tangerine and Red King.  I got a Red King, a Tangerine, and a Black Cherry Pink Princess.  The Black Cherry Pink Princess isn’t remotely like their pictures!  We’ll see how it develops.

The Jewel orchids are Ludisia discolor, and Macodes ‘Gold Dust’.  The Gold Dust looks great, very small plant right now.  The discolor was the one that was dry and broken.  It looks better today after being moist over night (first thing I did was water them all, they were so dry).  I still need to pot the jewels but I’ll get that done tomorrow.  I think I have the perfect pots for them for this project.  I have some 3” perforated pots that some aquatics came in.  I’ll put fairly standard orchid mix in them to pot the jewels since they like very damp but with good drainage.  Then sitting on wet sponge, that should be about right for them.  I’ve been planning to put a plant light over my variegated Spathiphyllum and the pothos in the 29 G, so I’ll add another HOB to that tank for the jewels to sit on.  I think I’ll have just enough room to switch the smaller (extra) HOB over to a bigger one and the var Spathiphyllum can share that with the jewels.  Or I might move the var Spathiphyllum to the 75 G and move some of the reg Spathiphyllum to a pot.  Maybe put the jewels over there.

Not much to show in pics right now since everything came in small and the Mas’ aren’t in bloom.  I’ll take pics now but likely wait until they do something and look like something more before posting.  I don’t even know for sure if I can get the Mas to bloom and the philos don’t look like much right now.  I did get a bonus plant of Pink Polka Dot plant which can also be grown with wet feet, so that’s tucked beside a sponge in an HOB, too.  Maybe I’ll post some pics tomorrow but don’t expect much!

• Like 2

On 8/18/2023 at 7:39 PM, Lavender said:

Ok, first off, WOW am I sorry I abandoned this thread. My IPad gave up the ghost about a month back, and it took a while to recover my password. I’ll read through this. Thanks, SO sorry.

No worries.  We carried on as best we could.  😉 😆 

• Haha 1