Food for Platy with half a mouth?

Maximus

One of my Platys got its upper lip bitten off (I think, by an angelfish). It's spending most of its time on the bottom of the tank and seems a bit lethargic. I think it's not eating well. Are there any particular foods that would be easier for it to eat? I was thinking regular flakes since that's probably easy to consume.

If it gets worse and doesn't eat I'll probably euthanize it instead of letting it starve to death.

PXL_20230724_170246734.jpg

Edited by Maximus
  • Sad 2

• Administrators

@Maximus I am sorry to see that this happened. I hope your platy recovers. Is the wound still fresh? If so, I would suggest using an antibacterial medication like Maracyn, or salt (if meds are not available to you). This will help prevent further tissue loss due to an infection.

As far as food, I wouldn't worry until it has been 10+ days. Your platy looks healthy and could probably go a week or two without food. Maybe try some live or frozen baby brine shrimp, as they are small and should be easy to consume. From there, maybe some frozen brine shrimp (larger ones), and then back to flake. 

On 7/24/2023 at 10:27 AM, Zenzo said:

@Maximus I am sorry to see that this happened. I hope your platy recovers. Is the wound still fresh? If so, I would suggest using an antibacterial medication like Maracyn, or salt (if meds are not available to you). This will help prevent further tissue loss due to an infection.

As far as food, I wouldn't worry until it has been 10+ days. Your platy looks healthy and could probably go a week or two without food. Maybe try some live or frozen baby brine shrimp, as they are small and should be easy to consume. From there, maybe some frozen brine shrimp (larger ones), and then back to flake. 

It's been at least a week, I medicated with a bit of salt early on and haven't seen any visual signs of infection. Then again part of its face is missing so things aren't exactly looking normal. I'm moving racks around in the room, and was able to set up a dedicated tank for it for the time being and hoping this will help elucidate the feeding situation (it was being out-competed in the community tank).

Thanks for the responses @nabokovfan87 and @Zenzo

• Like 2