wow, this is an expensive hobby

Hi Folks!

It all started with our 9 year old's 10g tank. We have some struggles there, but it didn't stop us from planning a planted 20g for me.

I finally came around to installing Aquarium Note 2, and over a week's time entered our expenses. It is $2k+! Whoa.

The furniture/plant stands and smart devices took the bulk of it but, still, so expensive!

All those little purchases do add up.

Anyway, just thought I would say hi!

Happy Independence Day!

• Like 1

Hey there! Welcome to the hobby. I think there are a lot of ways to save money in the hobby. I'd recommend watching as many of the aquarium coop vids as possible, as well as listening to the podcasts. Also, you can look on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist to find things used, or from people who are getting out of the hobby. This forum is also a great sounding board to ideas. Best of luck and happy 4th!

• Like 1

Welcome to the hobby @HelplessNewbie! And yes happy 4th to you as well!  🇺🇸

Yeah I think more often as a literal Newbie we do tend to spend. Now granted even if we knew all the tricks before we started the initial expense of a tank, light, filter, stand, decor and fish can be pricey (you got a fish first aid kit and testing kit going too riiiiiighhhttt????? that is one of the most important things). However nowadays I could easily start a brand new tank for a 150 dollar budget because of some of the things I know now that aren't needed or can wait for if I wanted an upgrade. 

Of course there are always used options out there too. People in the hobby are constantly getting rid of tanks, equipment, plants, substrate, hardscape, fish etc etc. Once you find a source you have never ending possibilities and you may make some of your money back if you sell or trade items too. 

Any hobby has a starting cost, and depending on what you want to do you can go cheap AND you can go stupid expensive. There are some basics you don't want to be without, but you really don't have to lose your shirt if you're focused and not in a hurry. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 1:50 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

you got a fish first aid kit and testing kit going too riiiiiighhhttt?????

You betcha! I have resorted to cutting the test strips in half to make them last longer!

Yes, I think lack of confidence has caused my overspend. I hope that with experience, it won't be so financially painful.

Am waiting on fireworks now. Y'all take care!

On 7/4/2023 at 1:39 PM, Twood said:

Hey there! Welcome to the hobby. I think there are a lot of ways to save money in the hobby. I'd recommend watching as many of the aquarium coop vids as possible, as well as listening to the podcasts. Also, you can look on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist to find things used, or from people who are getting out of the hobby. This forum is also a great sounding board to ideas. Best of luck and happy 4th!

I have been watching them. Spouse is tired of me watching aquarium videos. They are so addictive.

This hobby gives me something with which to be inspired and challenged. Through this forum and multiple online videos, I have learned and (my family has helped me) utilize some tricks, as well as repurposed some tools:

1. old bubble wrap for preventing plants and substrates from being disturbed during water changes

2. siphon)gravel vacuum for removing tank water

3. using power head or a pump for adding fresh water

4. soldering iron for poking holes in or cutting plastic

5. reuse plastic water bottles, drink cup lids, pill bottles etc. e.g diy water polisher, aerator bubble sprinkle shield, diy yeast co2 generator

6. nylon scrubbers and polyfill as filter media and softening/diffusing water flow

7. zip ties to hold hoses or tubing connections

8. airline tubing as diy floating plant corral, though it is in disuse since all ny floating plants died!

9. turkey baster as mini gravel vac and food "pusher"

Anyway, this is fun and no one can put a price on that!

Thank you for welcoming me!

Edited by HelplessNewbie
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/4/2023 at 1:50 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Any hobby has a starting cost, and depending on what you want to do you can go cheap AND you can go stupid expensive. There are some basics you don't want to be without, but you really don't have to lose your shirt if you're focused and not in a hurry. 

I do think it would have helped me to have a practical shopping list, with increasing levels of complexity.

Patience is not a strong suit of mine, this hobby is forcing me to practice it!

Edited by HelplessNewbie
  • Love 1

On 7/5/2023 at 5:02 AM, HelplessNewbie said:

You betcha! I have resorted to cutting the test strips in half to make them last longer!

Yes, I think lack of confidence has caused my overspend. I hope that with experience, it won't be so financially painful.

Am waiting on fireworks now. Y'all take care!

I have been watching them. Spouse is tired of me watching aquarium videos. They are so addictive.

This hobby gives me something with which to be inspired and challenged. Through this forum and multiple online videos, I have learned and (my family has helped me) utilize some tricks, as well as repurposed some tools:

1. old bubble wrap for preventing plants and substrates from being disturbed during water changes

2. siphon)gravel vacuum for removing tank water

3. using power head or a pump for adding fresh water

4. soldering iron for poking holes in or cutting plastic

5. reuse plastic water bottles, drink cup lids, pill bottles etc. e.g diy water polisher, aerator bubble sprinkle shield, diy yeast co2 generator

6. nylon scrubbers and polyfill as filter media and softening/diffusing water flow

7. zip ties to hold hoses or tubing connections

8. airline tubing as diy floating plant corral, though it is in disuse since all ny floating plants died!

9. turkey baster as mini gravel vac and food "pusher"

Anyway, this is fun and no one can put a price on that!

Thank you for welcoming me!

Sounds like you have a great start! Also, don't forget to look for some books. I know it seems old school, but I think a lot of these things are cyclical. For example, I grew up and we had a family aquarium - 55 gallon with an under gravel filter. I went through all the evolutions - hang on back, canister, sponge, etc. And after all of that, it seems like some of the old tried and true methods (under gravel and sponge) work perfectly well. A lot of the videos out there hype the latest and more expensive gadgets / tech, but sometimes the old school methods seem to work perfectly well. I love one of the things Cory always says "use what you've got" - its so true. Happy fish keeping!

• Like 1

Until an aquarist has gained much experience, learned to streamline and simplify, the costs are significant. I always tell people . . . "For every 10 gallons, plan 100 lbs. weight and $1,000 over the course of five years." Keep electricity costs in mind. 

You can save money by selecting cheaper substrate and choosing your own natural hardscape. But those cost-cutting decisions can backfire if you're not ready. Selecting fish that do not require a heater is another cost-saving option. Once you have succumbed fully to MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome), you'll be able to populate a new tank from plants you propagate in other aquariums.

If you are into getting fish to breed, there is a way to claw back little of your expenses by selling fish. It is no day-job though! 

• Like 1

Are there any fish clubs near you? They’re a great source of fish and equipment at low prices, often free.

Hot tip: you’re going to end up with 10 different fish foods for like 8 fish. At the start, DO NOT try to buy their love with food, and also buy the smallest package sizes you can until you find the 2 or 3 foods that become your staples, ie what you feed most days. 

Enjoy!!

• Like 1

As you proceed with your MTS addiction (Multiple Tank Syndrome) I'd like to mention that the smart devices aren't strictly necessary, and a sturdy piece of used furniture from Goodwill will often make a perfectly serviceable stand.

• Like 3

A year ago you would have spent half that amount. Every piece of equipment I purchased last year has doubled/tripled in price. The Penn-Plax Cascade 300 I bought a little over a year ago for $22 is now $52 on amazon. I think it will still get worse before it gets better.

On 7/5/2023 at 5:04 PM, MrWestCoast said:

A year ago you would have spent half that amount. Every piece of equipment I purchased last year has doubled/tripled in price. The Penn-Plax Cascade 300 I bought a little over a year ago for $22 is now $52 on amazon. I think it will still get worse before it gets better.

Even used items, the prices aren't low enough, almost same as brand new. I live in a very small town, and not too many that I know of participating in this hobby, so very few options for swaps.

I am hoping to save energy and money for an upcoming club meet in Atlanta; I have to convince the spouse since I am no longer able to drive and it is a long trip.