Fluval FX Spray Bar

Dork Fish

I picked up a Fluval spray bar for a FX4 filter, The spray bar comes in 3 sections but only 2 fit in a 75 gallon.

When only 2 of the 3 sections are used, the spray bar extends only 2/3 of the tank.

Should a spray bar extend across the entire back of a tank, or is it only supposed to only extend 2/3 of the tank?

I can always cut the 3rd section down to fit the tank if needed. Just want to make sure before I permanently modify the spray bar. 🙂

• Like 1

There is no right answer here - it depends on your tank and the fishes you have. Some fishes find current intolerable - the other the more the merrier - only you can determine if you need the current to cover the entire top or if you need less current in certain areas.

@anewbie I am sure that I want less flow and more surface agitation. I have never owned a spray bar, so I was just checking here to make sure there was not any negative impacts of having the entire length of the tank affected by a spray bar. 🙂

My thinking was that Fluval may have made the sections of the bar odd lengths on purpose.

Looks like that is not the case though, which is good for me. I am just going to cut the 3rd bar to length.

On 6/27/2023 at 9:03 AM, Dork Fish said:

Should a spray bar extend across the entire back of a tank, or is it only supposed to only extend 2/3 of the tank?

I can always cut the 3rd section down to fit the tank if needed. Just want to make sure before I permanently modify the spray bar. 🙂

I ended up cutting mine.  Getting full flow across the length of the tank is what you want for something like CO2 dosing. If you're just using it for general movement, I wouldn't bother cutting it. 

@nabokovfan87 Yeah for me it is mostly because a betta is going in the tank; however, I definitely want to get into CO2 dosing at some point down the line.

@Pepere Your point about the backpressure causing less overall flow is compelling. I had not considered that.

Well that settles it then. Will definitely cut to fit 🙂

Now to figure out my lava rock questions LOL:

My other forum post

• Like 1