Tips for Brine Shrimp Hatchery Newbie?

BAT

Hi Nerms!

I ordered myself a brine shrimp hatchery from AC with some birthday money.  Any tips and tricks for a newbie before I begin?  I ordered the hatchery plus all the recommended supplies from AC.

My biggest thing would be to throw away the stand that comes with it and either make your own out of PVC, which there are a couple of videos on YouTube of doing, or make a bracket to hang it on the wall out of wood or a piece of 1" PVC to slide the handle in. The stand that comes with the hatcher is too low to be able to get a sieve under to strain and then reach your hand under to turn the know. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 2:43 PM, Lennie said:

Don’t underestimate how many live bbs you can get by using only a few eggs.

I use like 3/5 of a teaspoon and feed 13 tanks with it easily.

This reminds me of another tip. Do not overfeed at one setting especially when just starting. These are living critters that will eventually die in the tank causing ammonia spikes. You may not see the ammonia spike because the tank digests it in good time but even the temporary ammonia spikes can be harmful to your fishes. 

• Like 1

Yes I can't remember who it was but a member on here made a stand for it that works great. I had to make one myself. It will cost about 20 in materials but it gets it high enough to work the nozzle at the bottom. And like @Guppysnail said I put a piece of vinyl tubing in the end for easy harvesting. It has a section in the bottom of the stand to hold your net or seive. It's not a a must and you can save a few bucks by not putting it on your stand. Just keep all 4 legs the same length for a straight stand. I hope however made the stant originally sees this thread. I'm horrible with remembering.

I usually like to make a fairly large batch. When they are ready I feed live that day then freeze the rest fresh. Works best for me with the way I work.

IMG_20230626_150248298.jpg

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 7:05 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

@TeeJay your stand looks great 😉. Glad you can show yours off now! I feel like I’ve overstayed my welcome showing off mine lol

Oh my friend I'm glad you found the post. I'm so bad with remembering screen names lol. 

• Love 1